Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I finally finished my book today. There will be 160 pages which contain the general locations of at least 28 of the known 250 Knight's Templar treasures located in the United States, Canada and Mexico. It will also give the general locations of 8 of the 58 known KGC caches here on the East Coast. These 8 locations of KGC caches contain over 400 to 640 tons of gold both in specie and gold bars.

The book will go to a book shop that will prepare the book for publication and the process will take from 6 to 8 months---this will include time for the copyright. "Secrets of the Lost Confederate Gold, As told by the Talking Trees."

Sounds good, franklin! Keep us "posted"...

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
iowa formerly from the south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extra info on the tunnels.
I've been to macon as well as Jonesboro and several other cities with UE groups.
As far as interconnected tunnels in Macon most of them are the extremely old sewer and runoff tunnels I'd assume considering they were all red crumbling brick to be quite old. Happened to go play in a few while neat, nothing really stood out other then being extremely old **** tunnels.
The hays house was and I believe still is connected to another house not far away (never went in the tunnel due to no access)supposedly it was for a underground spring well.
The cemetery vault is not connected to anything been in there and it just led into a large overly vandalized masoleum (no caskets or bodies. Reminded me of the new orleans masos but it wasn't above ground like new orleans are (which if your ever in new orleans by the way check them out. They are more interesting then bourbon st)
If you do feel adventurous be advise awhile back there were reports of cave ins at some points in macon sewer drain/washouts.
If your interested in tunnel systems MMinnesota has some well documented and neat underground brewery holds.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
While US Judge Advocate of the Army, Joseph Holt ,was preparing to prosecute those involved in the Lincoln assassination, the two wagons carrying Jefferson Davis's belongings and part of the Confederate treasury were on their way to Holt's brother-in-law,David Levy Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation in Archer, Florida.
Both men had married the daughters of Kentucky governor, Charles A Wickliffe-Holt married Margaret, Yulee married Nancy.
In October 1864, Holt presented to US Sec of War, Edwin Stanton, a report on the activities of the KGC and the Order of American Knights-
"A WESTERN CONSPIRACY IN THE AID OF THE SOUTHERN REBELLION".
Yulee's cousin, CSA Sec of State, Judah P Benjamin, was a high ranking member of the KGC, and was considered by the Union as planning Lincoln's assassination.
Another family irony during the War of Northern Aggression is Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd was a cousin of CSA President Jefferson Davis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
While US Judge Advocate of the Army, Joseph Holt ,was preparing to prosecute those involved in the Lincoln assassination, the two wagons carrying Jefferson Davis's belongings and part of the Confederate treasury were on their way to Holt's brother-in-law,David Levy Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation in Archer, Florida.
Both men had married the daughters of Kentucky governor, Charles A Wickliffe-Holt married Margaret, Yulee married Nancy.
In October 1864, Holt presented to US Sec of War, Edwin Stanton, a report on the activities of the KGC and the Order of American Knights-
"A WESTERN CONSPIRACY IN THE AID OF THE SOUTHERN REBELLION".
Yulee's cousin, CSA Sec of State, Judah P Benjamin, was a high ranking member of the KGC, and was considered by the Union as planning Lincoln's assassination.
Another family irony during the War of Northern Aggression is Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd was a cousin of CSA President Jefferson Davis.

As usual... GREAT info, ECS!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Florida provided the perfect escape route for Davis and his baggage train and for other Confederates due to the fact that the Union was unable to occupy the states interior.
Tallahassee was the only Confederate state capitol never taken during the War of Northern Aggression due to the efforts of the Florida Confederate divisions and militias. While the Union occupied several coastal cities and towns, and made raids against the Confederate coastal blockade runners, they were met with extreme resistance to their interior raids- the Battle of Olustee at Ocean Pond is but one example.
On the morning of February 20, 1864, US Gen Truman A Seymour and his 5500 troops (mainly Colored Infantry) and 16 cannons, encountered CSA Brig Gen Joseph Finegan's (another business partner of David Levy Yulee) Florida troops and the veteran Savannah troops of CSA Brig Gen Alfred Holt Colquitt. The battle fought in a virgin forest of Southern pines lasted 6 hours was a total victory for the Confederates, who captured several Union cannons and 1600 small arms, and the 130,000 small arms ammunition Union Gen Seymour ordered to dump into Lake Baldwin during the Union retreat.
Olustee was Florida's bloodiest battle-Union loses;203 killed,1152 wounded, 506 missing / Confederate loses- 93 killed, 847 wounded, and only 6 missing.
After the battle, the Confederates murdered most of the wounded and captured Union Colored troops in the field.
US Lt Frederick E Grossman noted, "The bodies of the Union soldiers killed in the Battle of Olustee were disinterred by the hogs within a few weeks after the battle, in consequence of which the bones and skulls were scattered broadcast over the battlefield".

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Florida provided the perfect escape route for Davis and his baggage train and for other Confederates due to the fact that the Union was unable to occupy the states interior.
Tallahassee was the only Confederate state capitol never taken during the War of Northern Aggression due to the efforts of the Florida Confederate divisions and militias. While the Union occupied several coastal cities and towns, and made raids against the Confederate coastal blockade runners, they were met with extreme resistance to their interior raids- the Battle of Olustee at Ocean Pond is but one example.
On the morning of February 20, 1864, US Gen Truman A Seymour and his 5500 troops (mainly Colored Infantry) and 16 cannons, encountered CSA Brig Gen Joseph Finegan's (another business partner of David Levy Yulee) Florida troops and the veteran Savannah troops of CSA Brig Gen Alfred Holt Colquitt. The battle fought in a virgin forest of Southern pines lasted 6 hours was a total victory for the Confederates, who captured several Union cannons and 1600 small arms, and the 130,000 small arms ammunition Union Gen Seymour ordered to dump into Lake Baldwin during the Union retreat.
Olustee was Florida's bloodiest battle-Union loses;203 killed,1152 wounded, 506 missing / Confederate loses- 93 killed, 847 wounded, and only 6 missing.
After the battle, the Confederates murdered most of the wounded and captured Union Colored troops in the field.
US Lt Frederick E Grossman noted, "The bodies of the Union soldiers killed in the Battle of Olustee were disinterred by the hogs within a few weeks after the battle, in consequence of which the bones and skulls were scattered broadcast over the battlefield".

THANKS, ECS! Didn't know about CONFEDERATE WAR in Fla.!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
During the War of Northern Aggression, the St Johns River was the diving line between Union occupied territory and Confederate held territory in east Florida. The Union controlled Jacksonville, St Augustine on the Atlantic, and Palatka on the St Johns, which they constantly patrolled with gun boats, from Jacksonville to Lake George, looking for CSA river blockade runners that supplied the Confederacy food, salt, and other goods.
In Palatka, Lola Sanchez, a Confederate spy, supplied Confederate militias, intelligence on the gun boat movements. Sanchez main contact was CSA Capt J J Dickinson of Marion county, whose cavalry raids brought the War to the Union occupiers, and kept central Florida free from Union invasion.
The Union commander at Fort Marion (Castillo de San Marcos) in St Augustine, ordered in May 1864, the gunboats,
USS Columbine and USS Ottawa, to capture or kill Dickinson and his CSA militia.
Sanchez got word to Dickinson, and his 100 man cavalry with a 25 men artillery unit with two small cannons, hid on the west bank at Brown's Landing, south of Palatka.( The field pieces were manufactured by John Pearson's machine shop in Orange Springs on the Oklawaha River. Pearson was another business partner of David Levy Yulee, and a neighbor of Dickinson)
When the Union gunboats appeared, Dickinson let the Columbine proceed down river, then shelled the 52 gun Ottawa, which retreated back to Palatka.
Dickinson then moved his men south to Horse Landing on the St Johns, to lay and wait for the Columbine's return.
A Confederate lookout in a oak tree announced the Columbine's approach, and one of Dickinson's first cannon shell ripped out the gunboat's wheel, and it ran aground. A firefight commenced, 20 Union soldiers killed and 65 taken prisoner.
Dickinson's men unloaded the Columbine of arms, ammunition, food, the paymasters strongbox, and the longboat, which was later used by CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge and CSA Capt John Taylor Wood in their May 1885 escape from Florida.
After empting the Columbine of all useful items, the gunboat was burned on the banks of the St Johns.
In US history, this is the only event when a cavalry unit sunk an enemy ship.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
During the War of Northern Aggression, the St Johns River was the diving line between Union occupied territory and Confederate held territory in east Florida. The Union controlled Jacksonville, St Augustine on the Atlantic, and Palatka on the St Johns, which they constantly patrolled with gun boats, from Jacksonville to Lake George, looking for CSA river blockade runners that supplied the Confederacy food, salt, and other goods.
In Palatka, Lola Sanchez, a Confederate spy, supplied Confederate militias, intelligence on the gun boat movements. Sanchez main contact was CSA Capt J J Dickinson of Marion county, whose cavalry raids brought the War to the Union occupiers, and kept central Florida free from Union invasion.
The Union commander at Fort Marion (Castillo de San Marcos) in St Augustine, ordered in May 1864, the gunboats,
USS Columbine and USS Ottawa, to capture or kill Dickinson and his CSA militia.
Sanchez got word to Dickinson, and his 100 man cavalry with a 25 men artillery unit with two small cannons, hid on the west bank at Brown's Landing, south of Palatka.( The field pieces were manufactured by John Pearson's machine shop in Orange Springs on the Oklawaha River. Pearson was another business partner of David Levy Yulee, and a neighbor of Dickinson)
When the Union gunboats appeared, Dickinson let the Columbine proceed down river, then shelled the 52 gun Ottawa, which retreated back to Palatka.
Dickinson then moved his men south to Horse Landing on the St Johns, to lay and wait for the Columbine's return.
A Confederate lookout in a oak tree announced the Columbine's approach, and one of Dickinson's first cannon shell ripped out the gunboat's wheel, and it ran aground. A firefight commenced, 20 Union soldiers killed and 65 taken prisoner.
Dickinson's men unloaded the Columbine of arms, ammunition, food, the paymasters strongbox, and the longboat, which was later used by CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge and CSA Capt John Taylor Wood in their May 1885 escape from Florida.
After empting the Columbine of all useful items, the gunboat was burned on the banks of the St Johns.
In US history, this is the only event when a cavalry unit sunk an enemy ship.

GREAT STUFF! THANKS!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In Florida, the Civil War was the War of Northern Aggression. Union troops occupied the coastal cites, and in St Augustine, forced the families of CSA soldiers and those that were considered Confederate sympathizers, to leave the city. The Union conducted their war on the citizens of Florida, with looting and burning raids on farms, plantations, and the sea salt works at Cedar Key and St Marks. CSA Capt J J Dickinson and his 2nd Florida Cavalry
halted many of these raid with his hit and run guerilla tactics.
CSA Pvt Jasper Jackson Dykes rode with Dickinson on these raids and served under CSA Brig Gen Finegan at the Battle of Olustee. In Dykes papers, he gives a first hand account of that battle, the capture of the USS Columbine, the sinking of the USS Maple Leaf by Confederate mine in the St Johns River, the skirmishes at Braddock's Farm, Cedar Key/Otter Creek, Palatka, and Gainesville.
The Union was never able to accomplish interior objectives in Florida due to these Confederates, and in south Florida, due to the CSA Fort Meade "cow cavalry".
Jasper Dykes Letter

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In Florida, the Civil War was the War of Northern Aggression. Union troops occupied the coastal cites, and in St Augustine, forced the families of CSA soldiers and those that were considered Confederate sympathizers, to leave the city. The Union conducted their war on the citizens of Florida, with looting and burning raids on farms, plantations, and the sea salt works at Cedar Key and St Marks. CSA Capt J J Dickinson and his 2nd Florida Cavalry
halted many of these raid with his hit and run guerilla tactics.
CSA Pvt Jasper Jackson Dykes rode with Dickinson on these raids and served under CSA Brig Gen Finegan at the Battle of Olustee. In Dykes papers, he gives a first hand account of that battle, the capture of the USS Columbine, the sinking of the USS Maple Leaf by Confederate mine in the St Johns River, the skirmishes at Braddock's Farm, Cedar Key/Otter Creek, Palatka, and Gainesville.
The Union was never able to accomplish interior objectives in Florida due to these Confederates, and in south Florida, due to the CSA Fort Meade "cow cavalry".
Jasper Dykes Letter

WOW! GREAT INFO, ECS! Are you History Prof or something...?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ocala, Florida grew out of the Seminole War fort, Fort King, which was established in 1827, which became Marion county's temporary county seat in 1844, until Ocala was established as town in 1846. I grew up with the descendants of those pioneer families who fought in the Seminole and Civil War, were Oklawaha river boat captains, plantation and gristmill owners, who shared their oral family histories.
In 1958, a 5th grade classmate found 3 copper CSA pennies, bundles of Confederate and Florida Confederate bills, and 2 artillery short swords in in the old dilapidated Odd Fellows Hall, my interest grew.
During the 2nd year of the Confederate War Centennial, our Jr High School principle held an assembly and discussed Florida in the Civil War, and passed around the rifle, the uniform, and other items that his grandfather used during that War.
One of my early jobs was working for a hardware/lumber company started by a Marion county pioneer family, that was located next to the then neglected Evergreen Cemetery, were several Confederate soldiers, including CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock, were buried.
Most history books concerning the Civil War give Florida's role a paragraph or two mention. and of coarse, the treasure mags on the '50's on, always contained a "lost Confederate gold" story, so my research began with separating the real history from the legend, myth, and sometimes fabricated.
For some reason, the history of Florida during the War of Northern Aggression is passed over or ignored, the most blatant example was 1976 "THE OFFICIAL FLORIDA BICENTENNIAL COMMEMORATIVE BOOK-BORN OF THE SUN", which barely mentions the Civil War and Olustee is only mentioned as a drawing caption- that from a state that has the Confederate St Andrews cross on its flag, and up until the 1960's, state legal holidays were Jan 19- R E Lee's birthday, April 26- Confederate Memorial Day, and June 3- Jefferson Davis's birthday.
As old Florida gets overbuilt, paved over, and Disneyfied, my concern is that the real history of those fought and built this state is lost.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A Union account of the occupation of Cedar Key and battles with CSA "cow cavalry" of Fort Meade are detailed in the diary of William McCullough, Co A, 2nd Union Florida Cavalry, station at Union Fort Meyers.
William McCullough Diary

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Ocala, Florida grew out of the Seminole War fort, Fort King, which was established in 1827, which became Marion county's temporary county seat in 1844, until Ocala was established as town in 1846. I grew up with the descendants of those pioneer families who fought in the Seminole and Civil War, were Oklawaha river boat captains, plantation and gristmill owners, who shared their oral family histories.
In 1958, a 5th grade classmate found 3 copper CSA pennies, bundles of Confederate and Florida Confederate bills, and 2 artillery short swords in in the old dilapidated Odd Fellows Hall, my interest grew.
During the 2nd year of the Confederate War Centennial, our Jr High School principle held an assembly and discussed Florida in the Civil War, and passed around the rifle, the uniform, and other items that his grandfather used during that War.
One of my early jobs was working for a hardware/lumber company started by a Marion county pioneer family, that was located next to the then neglected Evergreen Cemetery, were several Confederate soldiers, including CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock, were buried.
Most history books concerning the Civil War give Florida's role a paragraph or two mention. and of coarse, the treasure mags on the '50's on, always contained a "lost Confederate gold" story, so my research began with separating the real history from the legend, myth, and sometimes fabricated.
For some reason, the history of Florida during the War of Northern Aggression is passed over or ignored, the most blatant example was 1976 "THE OFFICIAL FLORIDA BICENTENNIAL COMMEMORATIVE BOOK-BORN OF THE SUN", which barely mentions the Civil War and Olustee is only mentioned as a drawing caption- that from a state that has the Confederate St Andrews cross on its flag, and up until the 1960's, state legal holidays were Jan 19- R E Lee's birthday, April 26- Confederate Memorial Day, and June 3- Jefferson Davis's birthday.
As old Florida gets overbuilt, paved over, and Disneyfied, my concern is that the real history of those fought and built this state is lost.

I agree with ya! The Odd Fellows Hall with CSA stuff was what I picked up on, since CSA Gen. Albert Pike started out as an O.F. O.O.F. was "connected' with Great Britain, & then became IOOF. My Grand-father was IOOF, and I have his Ritual Book, which is similar to Freemason degrees, written in ciphers... VERY interesting!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with ya! The Odd Fellows Hall with CSA stuff was what I picked up on, since CSA Gen. Albert Pike started out as an O.F. O.O.F. was "connected' with Great Britain, & then became IOOF. My Grand-father was IOOF, and I have his Ritual Book, which is similar to Freemason degrees, written in ciphers... VERY interesting!
I believe the Odd Fellows Hall in Ocala was also used by the KGC. The symbol on the clapboard wood building was three linked chains that formed a pyramid with a all seeing eye at its center-not the standard IOOF symbol.
During Reconstruction, Marion county was subjected to Union marshal law due to the ex- Confederates' resistance to the harsh Republican rule imposed.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
While US Judge Advocate of the Army, Joseph Holt ,was preparing to prosecute those involved in the Lincoln assassination, the two wagons carrying Jefferson Davis's belongings and part of the Confederate treasury were on their way to Holt's brother-in-law,David Levy Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation in Archer, Florida...
Jefferson Davis's baggage wagons, a sturdily built ambulance and a heavy wagon were escorted to Florida by CSA Capt Watson Van Benthuysen, his two brothers, W S and J D (the Benthuysens were Davis's brother in -laws), and the escort also included Tench F Tilghman, Fred Emory, W E Dickerson, and J W Scott. The arrived at Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation on May 25, 1865, and word soon arrived that Davis was captured by the Union at Irwin, Georgia.
Nancy "Nannie" Yulee ha her 15 yo son, C Wickiliffe Yulee and CSA Lt John S Purviance, Co G, 10th Florida Regiment, bury a chest containing part of the Confederate treasury in a pony barn, located behind the main house.
She then had the rest shipped to the railroad depot at Waldo, then traveled with her son to the Tuscawilla section of Ocala, staying with her husband's Benjamin cousins. The shipment to Waldo, which included Davis family clothes and $35,000 in gold specie, was seized by Union Capt O E Bryant.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Jefferson Davis's baggage wagons, a sturdily built ambulance and a heavy wagon were escorted to Florida by CSA Capt Watson Van Benthuysen, his two brothers, W S and J D (the Benthuysens were Davis's brother in -laws), and the escort also included Tench F Tilghman, Fred Emory, W E Dickerson, and J W Scott. The arrived at Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation on May 25, 1865, and word soon arrived that Davis was captured by the Union at Irwin, Georgia.
Nancy "Nannie" Yulee ha her 15 yo son, C Wickiliffe Yulee and CSA Lt John S Purviance, Co G, 10th Florida Regiment, bury a chest containing part of the Confederate treasury in a pony barn, located behind the main house.
She then had the rest shipped to the railroad depot at Waldo, then traveled with her son to the Tuscawilla section of Ocala, staying with her husband's Benjamin cousins. The shipment to Waldo, which included Davis family clothes and $35,000 in gold specie, was seized by Union Capt O E Bryant.

WHOA! Didn't know that! THANKS, ECS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread