Primary Interest:
Other

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes US Senator David Yulee owned the railroad and everything else in the area. I wish you would go up and get us permission on the old Cottonwood Plantation. I would like to recover the trunk of President Jefferson Davis. It is still there you know.
This is David Levy Yulee's account of Davis's baggage train that was shipped to Cottonwood Plantation:
Statement of David L. Yulee respecting certain baggage which he placed in the keeping of Mr. M. A. Williams, at WaldoSubscribed and sworn to before J. W. Johnson, Captain, Third USCT and Provost-MarshalJune 16, 1865
This account has Yulee's son burying four trunks at Cottonwood:
The Lost Confederate Treasure - Home: Living in the Heart of Florida
Old local rumors state that Nannie Yulee brought some of Davis's gold coins to Ocala when she stayed with her husbands Benjamin cousins (also the cousins of Judah P Benjamin, who escaped through Ocala along with John C Breckinridge and Davis's nephew, John Taylor Wood) in Ocala, May 1865.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That last account brings in to question about a trunk that was buried by one of the guards. That is true. EC I sent you the story of the guard that buried the trunk. Please try to obtain permission to look for this and I will help you find it. It is very important to history as well as to treasure hunters.

HH! GOOD LUCK! Have FUN!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
C Wickiliffe Yulee, 15 yo son, along with CSA Lt John S Purviance, Co G, 10th Florida Regiment, buried the trunk(s), and is possible, wife, Nannie Wickliffe Yulee, may have told the Ocala Benjamin brothers of the trunks location.
While the Union army occupied Gainesville at this time, the Union did not travel south to Ocala until 1866, and because of resistance to Reconstruction, placed Ocala/Marion county under martial law in 1867.
Simon and Solomon Benjamin built Florida's first ice plant in 1884,EAST FLORIDA ICE MANUFACTURING Co, and invested in the SILVER SPRINGS,OCALA & GULF RAILROAD whose terminus was Homosassa, the site of cousin Yulee's Margarita Plantation that was raided by the Union.
http://www.cilvilwaralbum.com/misc6/yulee1.htm
http://www.homosassaflorida.com/location/history-facts

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The story of the Confederate Treasury at Charlotte, NC, and the Mountain Island connection. It also contains a letter Varina Davis wrote to her husband Jefferson Davis which mentions that Mary Chestnut was already at Chester, SC.
Carolinastamps.com - Carolina Coin & Stamp - Rediscovering the Confederate Treasury A Mountain Island, NC History
This site contains several locations of Confederate treasury assets in South Carolina
Civil War Gold And Other Lost Treasures

LOVE IT! GREAT info, ECS! Singing song by James Taylor. now! "In my mind, I'm gone to Carolina..."!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The strangest thing about the Confederate Gold is all historians believe that the Confederate Government waited until the last minute to run out of Richmond with the Treasury. And historians believe that all that was left in the Confederate Treasury was a little over $500,000. That amount would not pay Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia for two months let along all of the other Armies of the CSA. The early part of the war took over $350,000,000 a year to pay the army and navies.

The KGC had over 458,000 members by the time the first shots were fired at Ft. Sumter. They had infiltrated and added Texas, California and remnants of ten other states into the Union. At the time of the out-break of the Civil War the KGC was in the process of infiltrating Mexico and turning it into 20 or 30 states so the South would have more Senators and Congressmen than the northern States. When the Civil War started and newly elected President Abraham Lincoln asked for a call up of over 100,000 men to invade the South, the KGC brought all of it's members back from Mexico and infiltrated heavily the cities of the North.

The KGC could call up 100,000 soldiers anytime they needed them. How do you think the Southern States was able to establish all of the departments of government and efficiently run them to take on the most powerful country in the world. They were organized and well trained by the KGC. The KGC already had substantial monies raised and hidden away during the Civil War they only added more. There were 15 known depositories of the Confederate Government but there were scores more that only the KGC knew about. They added even more after the Civil War up until the beginning of World War I. Then both the North and the South had a common enemy and the KGC sealed their books, posted sentinels over their depositories and after the war they took funds and invested them into banks, railroads, colleges and real estate. Many of the wealthy and large businesses today found their seed money from the KGC. Even Jesse James saved three banks in Texas during the Depression.

All of this and more will be in a new book my partner and I are getting ready to take to publisher. We have found 58 depositories of KGC gold and will need someday extensive help from everyone to recover them. The book is entitled, "Secrets of the Lost Confederate Gold, As told by the Talking Trees."

GREAT STUFF! Carry ON! The Spanish-American War was ALSO a "Biggie"... Spanish-speaking REBELS/KGC became "ACTIVE"... AND! Guess who, became "popular"...? TR! Aka Teddy Roosevelt... "go from there"; (R & I).

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
TR's uncles, Irvine Stephens Bullock, CSA Jr Officer on CSS Alabama, and James Dunwoody Bullock, CSA Financial Agent in England (appointed by CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin) all had connections to Ocala, Florida.
Benjamin had his cousins, the Bullocks had their cousin, CSA Brig General Robert Bullock, wounded at the Battle of Utoy and had returned to Ocala at the end of 1864.
Then we have the Marshall family of Abbeville, SC, where Davis, Benjamin, Breckinridge, and Wood stayed before the final flight, also had a plantation on the Oklawaha River in Ocala.
Davis's nephew, CSA John Taylor Wood, CSS Tallahassee, was also the grandson of US President Zachery Taylor, who was once the commandant of Fort King (Ocala) during the Seminole Wars where Braxton Bragg also served.
Ocala was an obvious choice as part of the escape route after the fall of Richmond, and researching the players, one can realize the Florida KGC connection.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Richmond was long a target during the war.
Keeping a majority of valuables there would have perhaps been considered a greater risk than elsewhere, let alone the risk of it being all in one place.
It took great effort to keep the north out of Richmond from early on.In 62 McClellan was at the door and bringing anything of value in was as much risk as keeping it there.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It was the War of Northern Aggression in Florida, which was occupied by the Union who conducted looting and burning raids against civilians. In St Augustine, the wives and children of CSA soldiers or sympathizers were placed on wagons and shipped out of town. Florida was defended by small companies of CSA volunteers and militias, and in many cases, old men, women and boys, while the larger Florida Confederate companies were deployed along side those in Virginia, NC, SC, and Georgia.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Great Info, ECS. Rebel, I took my new book to the printers today for an estimate. I will print maybe 500 or 1,000. I have to wait on the price and changes they may suggest. The mystery of the CSA gold has been solved and there is a lot of it-----tons of it. I put all I could in the book but the real facts I could not because of being liable by land owners and the US Government. But it has most of the story and how we found the SECRET from the talking trees.

GREAT! Let me know (by PM), when it is available!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Richmond was long a target during the war.
Keeping a majority of valuables there would have perhaps been considered a greater risk than elsewhere, let alone the risk of it being all in one place.
It took great effort to keep the north out of Richmond from early on.In 62 McClellan was at the door and bringing anything of value in was as much risk as keeping it there.

I think CSA/Virginia "Assets" were moved out of Richmond, Va. in 1863 & 1865...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
New Bern, N.C. had all their treasures moved near Salisbury, N.C. and buried in an oak grove. The 10th Ohio came along in May 1865 found the treasure while camping and carried the money back to Ohio and Kentucky.

BOO! HISSSSS!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW SHOW ON DISCOVERY CHANNEL - REBEL GOLD 10PM TUES.
THEY ARE SEARCHING FOR IT

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW SHOW ON DISCOVERY CHANNEL - REBEL GOLD 10PM TUES. THEY ARE SEARCHING FOR IT

Watched a couple episodes of "rebel Gold" so far it reminds me of bad days fishing, an hour show finding a whole lot of nothing, although the history and legends are interesting, the show is a little slow. Amazing they can fill hour episodes without finding much of anything (minus some period relics here and there)-a challenge that can wear down even the most creative TV producers. Just throw in some dramatic music and some special effects over the video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread