What is most outrageous treasure hunting legend you have ever read?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... The point ends as soon as .... impossible feats are added in ....

except, of course, those things that credible eyewitness accounts record, by your own admission. We can agree that if a lone person "sees a UFO" or "sees an aparition", then yes, he's probably been smoking too many funny cigarettes, or has mental issues, etc... But at what point does it cross to "credible" for you ? And when answering this: remember you've agreed that eye-witness accounts (credible ones) *do* count as satisfactory evidence for something historical.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll take for granted things that are physically possible to a point.
The point ends as soon as Ghosts, hocus pocus & impossible feats are added in

Your a wordsmith, Jeff.

This is exactly what I was trying to convey in my first post.

Dowsing, Ouijia Boards, Psychics, etc... Really ruin a good old fashion treasure tale for me.

~Tejaas~

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah, kind of like that guy from a long time ago that SUPPOSEDLY walked on water, got killed, then rose from the dead. Nothing documentary to back up that story!

Mike

Except for the ones who were witnesses, and the millions of martyrs who gave up their lives rather than deny Him. (and still do today)

29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” - John 20:29

Last edited:

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
I started believing in spirits, because everyone seemed to have
one, when they're alive and breathing. Then when nothing seems
to be missing except their liveliness, I figure their spirit left their
still body. Where did it go, the life inside the flesh. Never have
seen anyone walk through a wall, or seen through them, but
suppose scientifically it could happen, if the molecules were
different, or gone.

But then I don't think I've seen any ghosts, or a real flying
Santa, tho I have heard buck deer tap their hooves on a rock,
though I didn't ever see them, I think they were there,
not just my imagination, hearing sound waves. The
same for all throughout time. Only The Called
Crusaders, Explorers, Inventers, Treasure
Seekers ever really act and follow through,
unseen driven? With only water to drink,
no spirit enhancers, rubbing eyes and
using eye drops, to check for reality
of vision in the fog and bright
sunshine, sober, not dreaming...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crosse brought up "the other JJ". Well I for one had never considered Jesse Jackson
burying stolen money but anything's possible I guess.

Maybe JIM JONES buried some loot in Guyana before they all drank the KoolAid!

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And we know where Jesus hid his treasure: "You will have treasure in Heaven" (Matthew 6:30 & 19:21, Mark 10:21, & Luke 12:33 - about the only thing the three Gospel writers agree on) ;-)

Charlie,

Funny you mention that. Whenever a heart is used on a Spanish Map or in the field, it always refers to gold.

Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
except, of course, those things that credible eyewitness accounts record, by your own admission. We can agree that if a lone person "sees a UFO" or "sees an aparition", then yes, he's probably been smoking too many funny cigarettes, or has mental issues, etc... But at what point does it cross to "credible" for you ? And when answering this: remember you've agreed that eye-witness accounts (credible ones) *do* count as satisfactory evidence for something historical.

I don't think there is anything I can put my finger on exactly.
re "ufo's" the name to me "unidentified flying object" in itself
proves they exist. fact is I have seen many ufo's.

and actually 2 people can be standing side my side & see a dot crossing the sky.
the first one says What Is That ? (to him it is a UFO).
the second convinces himself it's a satellite. (identified)
if the first one doesn't believe the 2nd, it's still a ufo.

for all intents & purposes I know you mean "Alien Spacecraft" to me credible means
clean photographs of a close object.
an "apparition" is gonna take me Personally seeing it
& convincing myself it wasn't a trick of the light etc.

Yes I have seen things in both categories, (I still type with 1 finger so long flowing posts are very uncomfortable for me,
or I'd explain in detail. but even so.. we are sort of off subject,
and have people quoting scripture which is against forum rules,
unless describing a so called treasure or it's location)
but even
though I felt I was in full control of my mind & sober,
I still can find alternate explanations like shadows, the mind interpreting things
the eyes don't see straight on etc.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jeff, thanx for taking the time to pen that out. All I can say is, that what you're saying/doing, is very understandable human nature. No matter how many eye-witnesses and evidence occurs about a supernatural event, the "next generation" tends to dismiss it. Ie.: if it didn't happen to THEM (you),then ... there will be doubt. You will tend to explain it away by other means.

So even though you *say* that eye-witness evidence is a credible source (like as-is-how they accept that in a court-of-law, for instance), yet .... when it comes to something we don't want to believe, it's easier to dismiss it. Heck, even videos, photo's, etc... are all subject photo-shop trickery, right?

There was a humorous quote from a skeptic scientist during a debate once (but he was actually serious): He said that if the statue of liberty blinked and waved at him, he would still not call it a miracle. He would give more weight/belief to the fact that it must be all the molecules of the statue coincidentally moving in the same direction at the same time. Or the wind, or an optical illusion by the sunlight, or whatever. So you can see that, to some people, NO AMOUNT of evidence (even that brought to their own eyes) satisfies. Much easier just to "move the goal posts" of the criteria levels you say you'd accept.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved to Treasure Legends.

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, thanx for taking the time to pen that out. All I can say is, that what you're saying/doing, is very understandable human nature. No matter how many eye-witnesses and evidence occurs about a supernatural event, the "next generation" tends to dismiss it. Ie.: if it didn't happen to THEM (you),then ... there will be doubt. You will tend to explain it away by other means.

So even though you *say* that eye-witness evidence is a credible source (like as-is-how they accept that in a court-of-law, for instance), yet .... when it comes to something we don't want to believe, it's easier to dismiss it. Heck, even videos, photo's, etc... are all subject photo-shop trickery, right?

There was a humorous quote from a skeptic scientist during a debate once (but he was actually serious): He said that if the statue of liberty blinked and waved at him, he would still not call it a miracle. He would give more weight/belief to the fact that it must be all the molecules of the statue coincidentally moving in the same direction at the same time. Or the wind, or an optical illusion by the sunlight, or whatever. So you can see that, to some people, NO AMOUNT of evidence (even that brought to their own eyes) satisfies. Much easier just to "move the goal posts" of the criteria levels you say you'd accept.

as I've said in the past, a ghost would have to Introduce itself to me By saying
something Like "Hello ! I'm a Ghost, Reach out ant try & touch Me."
Problem there I may even think that it is a new process of imagery someone is
trying out on me. as I truly am convinced Spirits and curses are impossible.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I think its outrageous that George Washington could throw a silver dollar across the
Potomac. But if he did try wouldn't the recovery of that coin be the find of the century?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its outrageous that George Washington could throw a silver dollar across the
Potomac. But if he did try wouldn't the recovery of that coin be the find of the century?

washingtonthrowsdollar.jpg

I agree just another B.S. story by a President .
Like never telling a Lie :laughing7:

I do wonder how many copy-cats tried over the years though

of course does the story give a location ?
the Potomac, like certain Branches of the Schuylkill
may be able to be stepped across at spots ? :tongue3:

add to that What Year ?

Silver Dollars were not invented till the late 1790's I believe
yep
First United States Silver Dollar, 1794

as for the Silver Dollar, It would have had to be seen on the other side in order to prove it made it.
in the 1700's Would you let a Silver Dollar Lay There ?

as I said copy-cats though guarantee a few went in over the years

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outrageous treasure legends. Not sure I could single one out from such a wide field. :dontknow:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Wow, a 1794 double die could be waiting for some diver in the Potomac. All coins that
first year were struck twice.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought everyone was aware, the allegorical symbolism in ancient writings of earth, water, air, fire, represented states of mind/consciousness. :icon_scratch:
Maybe, I read different books. :laughing7:

I know a treasure legend! :hello2: Don't know about the outrageousness of it, though. :laughing7:
When I was a Brownie and Girl Scout, we used to get to go camping at this big old 100 something acre plantation, over by the Ga/Ala line. The legend was, back in the civil war, the northern troops marched through and the family(wealthy, of course), had taken all their moneies and jewelrys, and buried them in the middle of 3 oak trees.

There was never a house, that I remember on that land, and we were little, like 7 to 10 yrs old. We didn't have any metal detectors either, or even knew what they were then. But we always wondered whether the tale was really really true or not. :icon_scratch:

Yeah Gollum, I can buy that about Switzerland and the Templars, too. Seems to make sense.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
What is most outrageous treasure hunting legend you have ever read?

This thread and discussion actually sort of surprises me. The 'debate' if it can be called such, brings to light that many people here, on a treasure hunting forum, most of the members being treasure hunters or persons interested in hunting treasures, and many do not believe the stories!

One may even suspect that there is some agenda at work, to sort of discourage potential competition! If anyone really has strong doubts about any treasure legend, the obvious thing to do would be to research the topic personally. I think even our most hard-boiled skeptics might be surprised if they would. The majority of treasure "legends" are based on facts and events, which over time have been distorted, confused and with generous helpings of BS blended into the original events to the point that the story becomes unbelievable. Sometimes the distortions are done innocently enough - an example posted some years ago concerned a stagecoach robbery. The original records indicated some $700 was stolen, but each time the story was re-published, the authors tried to convert the values into the money of their day, until the treasure ballooned into $450,000. Also it is logical to assume that some point of 'fact' in the original sources is erroneous, which helps explain why the treasure remains lost.

Our skeptics view the un-discovered lost treasures as fictional, and ignore the FOUND treasures which were in most cases, also in the exact same class until they were found. The Atocha comes to mind for one example at sea, or the Silver King mine in Arizona for a mine, as that was for some years just a tale about a soldier who found an outcropping of black rock that proved to be rich silver ore, until four partners went hunting for it, following the clues from Johnson the original finder and rediscovered it. Who would have believed that the Atocha would have over $400 million worth of treasure on it? The figure sounds like something made up!

Even such seemingly ridiculous stories as George Washington tossing a silver dollar over the Potomac, if you trace it back, has at least a real possibility of being true, for the original version was not the Potomac but the Rappahannock river in Virginia on his family's farm there, which river is much less wide than the Potomac and has recently been proven to be possible to throw a coin across it at that point. (The Ferry Farm) The answers can be found in so many cases you just might surprise yourself. BTW the common silver dollars in use in the colonies of Washington's day were Spanish eight reales which remained legal tender in the US into the 1830s. Still valuable and somewhat rare, but not US dollars.

I don't know why some people think it will make them look more intelligent to NOT believe in some treasure legend, or paranormal phenomenon. It doesn't - it only makes one look like the type that simply goes with the 'crowd' on anything and may even be too lazy to research a matter for himself. Even in such supposedly "laughable" topics as hauntings, UFOs and Bigfoot, if you but do your own research, keeping an open mind, you may be surprised that there really is something to these mysterious subjects that is at the least, worth investigation and further research. To have a simple knee-jerk rejection of any unexplainable thing is never going to find any real answers. Are UFOs just some peculiar and rare natural phenomenon? Are the bigfoot sightings ALL just some joker with carved wooden feet? Find your own answers, don't just go with the crowd to try to look smart.

Don't just take anyone's word about a treasure story, either true or false. Do some research into these "legends" yourself, and then decide whether it is believable or not. Be prepared to learn that an amazing number and value has been lost over the centuries and remains lost, waiting for some lucky person to find and recover.

As to what is the most outrageous treasure story I have ever read, it has to be the secret underground UFO base in the Superstition mountains, which article was online for years but has apparently now been pulled. The time-portal in the mountains west of Tumacacori (and a similar story set in the Superstitions, which led some people to try to hire guides to take them dinosaur hunting - and that part is TRUE!) run a close second place tie in my opinion. But for many of the rather outrageous sounding stories, I would hesitate to dismiss them out of hand simply because they sound outrageous, for truth is often far more strange than anything you could make up. People dig up amazing treasures every year, some of which had "legends" surrounding them for centuries. If you really think all of these stories are so much baloney, made up to make money selling pulp magazines, then you need to find another hobby than treasure hunting for you are hunting something you do not believe exists.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I wish you all a very prosperous and Happy New year, and I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread