audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yuma's lost gold

Please bear with me as I ramble a bit on this. It takes a while for my mind to put bits and pieces together to make a whole idea come be come clear.
Frank Dobie wrote this story about Yuma being showed a gold ledge by an Apache Chief. I was interested because it was near where I when to High School in Florence, AZ. At that time I didn't know of any Apaches that far south. Later my brother and I trying to run down another story, were trying to get into the mountain range south of the Ariviapa historical site. Can't remember the correct spelling of the range as my brother had all the typo maps.
Any way the weather turned bad so we went to the B of mines in Tucson. We ask to see the mining Eng there and talked with him. At first he was very closed about the area we wanted to look at. Then he asked us what Company we worked for. We looked at each other and then at him and said, "we are the company. We're just prospectors and brothers". At that time he warmed up and told us he wasn't supposed to do this, but if he left the binder open and stepped out for a cup of coffee, he wouldn't know if we had looked at the area with all the mine claims, active and past on it.
We did and noticed that there were gold mine claims starting from the top of the western ridge, down and across the canyon floor and back up the other side. All were gold mine claims, as we were looking for an old Jesiut Silver mine, that bothered me a little. Now 30 years later the pieces come together that the Apache tribe was the one that the US Army wiped out by havin the entire tribe jump off a cliff, was the tribe that showed Yuma the gold at the top of the ridge.
So if you were to go looking for Yuma's Gold, it has been found and removed over the 100 years since he was shown it.
I post this only because you rarely ever find out that a Lost mine/Treasure has been found and then spend time looking for it. Granted the time spent looking for it, to me has never been a waste, but I would rather have the "Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow". AuDigger53

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Please bear with me as I ramble a bit on this. It takes a while for my mind to put bits and pieces together to make a whole idea come be come clear.
Frank Dobie wrote this story about Yuma being showed a gold ledge by an Apache Chief. I was interested because it was near where I when to High School in Florence, AZ. At that time I didn't know of any Apaches that far south. Later my brother and I trying to run down another story, were trying to get into the mountain range south of the Ariviapa historical site. Can't remember the correct spelling of the range as my brother had all the typo maps.
Any way the weather turned bad so we went to the B of mines in Tucson. We ask to see the mining Eng there and talked with him. At first he was very closed about the area we wanted to look at. Then he asked us what Company we worked for. We looked at each other and then at him and said, "we are the company. We're just prospectors and brothers". At that time he warmed up and told us he wasn't supposed to do this, but if he left the binder open and stepped out for a cup of coffee, he wouldn't know if we had looked at the area with all the mine claims, active and past on it.
We did and noticed that there were gold mine claims starting from the top of the western ridge, down and across the canyon floor and back up the other side. All were gold mine claims, as we were looking for an old Jesiut Silver mine, that bothered me a little. Now 30 years later the pieces come together that the Apache tribe was the one that the US Army wiped out by havin the entire tribe jump off a cliff, was the tribe that showed Yuma the gold at the top of the ridge.
So if you were to go looking for Yuma's Gold, it has been found and removed over the 100 years since he was shown it.
I post this only because you rarely ever find out that a Lost mine/Treasure has been found and then spend time looking for it. Granted the time spent looking for it, to me has never been a waste, but I would rather have the "Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow". AuDigger53

THANKS for "CLOSURE"!

OP
OP
audigger53

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Actually the claims are still active, one that I know of is down 150 feet and needs to have air pumped down into it with bellows as the area is now a Wilderness Area. US Nation Forest, Thanks to Clinton.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread