Superstition Mts. new show on History Channel

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Disappointing :( so this whole thing is pretend ?

or does that mean when they get close they will have to stop the show ?

There is plenty of spectacular scenery all around the borders of the wilderness area where scenes can be shot.
While this may be noticed by those who are very familiar with the range, the vast majority of the audience will never know the difference.
And Frank has already said that the claims have been registered.

Regards:SH.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That's Disappointing :( so this whole thing is pretend ?

or does that mean when they get close they will have to stop the show ?

Well, not to defend this show, but it has never purported to be anything else than pure entertainment. That's all it is.

Quite frankly, I enjoyed it.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Amigo,

In Wilderness Area where the mine is believed to be, one can dig like a cat to cover their stuff. You can also dig a small sample for prospecting purposes. Only hand tools are allowed, and no big digs are allowed.

However, I hate to disappoint you, filming for profit is not allowed, so you know they are not in the Superstition Wilderness Area. Yes the Superstition Mountain gets filmed, but from a distance just outside the area. You will also notice that Sonny Tapia is the outfitter, this also tells you they are not inside the Wilderness Area since Ron Feldman from O K Corrals is the only one who has a permit to outfit in that area.

News of a big discovery always come before any show, but it is still very entertaining, I am enjoying it, and can't wait for the next one. It also gives you an idea of how those mountains are in case you get to go there someday.

Homar

Hello Homar, very long time since I have posted on here and replied to one of your posts! How you been?

So how come no filming is allowed in the wilderness area? I know news of discovery has to happen before any show or otherwise. I watched it last night and I enjoyed it, too many commercials but heck, thats TV. BUT; if filming in another location of where the mine isn't and "IF" the mine us supposed to be in another location why mislead? I know there has to be a starting point somewhere. Trails and roads just don't lead someone right to a gold mine or treasure and I know the terrain can be/is rugged.

I been over here at Ft Huachuca the last several months and have gone hiking in the mountains just southwest of the base there, but it isn't as rugged as the Superstitions. I found a couple of caves with some tailing piles along the mountain. I found a couple of pieces of quartz rocks that had very small signs of gold in it, not much 1 rock was like 6 very small specs, (I looked at it with a magnafying glass and stuck a needle to it), and it is definitely gold. The other quartz rock seems like it may have some, but not really sure, I thought about crushing both rocks to see what I find out of it. I am home now but will be going back to Ft Huachuca in a month. I hadn't prospecting out here yet because I didn't have my panning gear with me and didn't know what my schedule would be but I am going to bring them when I go back!

I know a lot more has to come out on the show and SgtFda can't say anything due to the shows contract, etc. Would be nice to see a lost mine or gold stash uncovered and brought out, but as I said before, that it will never likely happen due to the fact if anything "IS" found the government would be right on top of it before any of it would see daylight!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not to defend this show, but it has never purported to be anything else than pure entertainment. That's all it is.

Quite frankly, I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it very Much !

I just hope it aint Pretend, Like someone on a movie set with a Camera.

If after they got to the top of that Rock wall, & the days shooting was over,
they got Driven or Evac'd out to Starbucks for the weekend, I'd be very upset to find that out

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoyed it very Much !

I just hope it aint Pretend, Like someone on a movie set with a Camera.

If after they got to the top of that Rock wall, & the days shooting was over,
they got Driven or Evac'd out to Starbucks for the weekend, I'd be very upset to find that out

It's fairly common practice, but can't really blame them- they have a lot of expensive gear that have to properly maintained and a crew that has to stay healthy, so it's a balancing act.

You want to sell that the show is way out there in the wilderness, but at the same time you have a responsibility to take care of your crew and actors, and you must stay near easy transportation for safety and health reasons.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Grylls apologises for 'fake' show

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's fairly common practice, but can't really blame them- they have a lot of expensive gear that have to properly maintained and a crew that has to stay healthy, so it's a balancing act.

You want to sell that the show is way out there in the wilderness, but at the same time you have a responsibility to take care of your crew and actors, and you must stay near easy transportation for safety and health reasons.

i always knew Grylls was a phoney. that's why I only ever saw about 15 minutes of one of his shows
and moved on.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not like the Survivorman Shows. Only one guy. He can stay in the wild as long as he has to. A show with a big crew and a lot of equipment needs to be taken care of.

Mike

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I already know the answer to this, but to make sure, is filming and photography forbidden in Wilderness Areas for commercial purposes? ALL Wilderness Areas?

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Homar, very long time since I have posted on here and replied to one of your posts! How you been?

So how come no filming is allowed in the wilderness area? I know news of discovery has to happen before any show or otherwise. I watched it last night and I enjoyed it, too many commercials but heck, thats TV. BUT; if filming in another location of where the mine isn't and "IF" the mine us supposed to be in another location why mislead? I know there has to be a starting point somewhere. Trails and roads just don't lead someone right to a gold mine or treasure and I know the terrain can be/is rugged.

I been over here at Ft Huachuca the last several months and have gone hiking in the mountains just southwest of the base there, but it isn't as rugged as the Superstitions. I found a couple of caves with some tailing piles along the mountain. I found a couple of pieces of quartz rocks that had very small signs of gold in it, not much 1 rock was like 6 very small specs, (I looked at it with a magnafying glass and stuck a needle to it), and it is definitely gold. The other quartz rock seems like it may have some, but not really sure, I thought about crushing both rocks to see what I find out of it. I am home now but will be going back to Ft Huachuca in a month. I hadn't prospecting out here yet because I didn't have my panning gear with me and didn't know what my schedule would be but I am going to bring them when I go back!

I know a lot more has to come out on the show and SgtFda can't say anything due to the shows contract, etc. Would be nice to see a lost mine or gold stash uncovered and brought out, but as I said before, that it will never likely happen due to the fact if anything "IS" found the government would be right on top of it before any of it would see daylight!

Howdy My Friend,

I have been fine thank you, had been meaning to touch bases with you to see how you were doing, since I hadn't seen you post much. In reality I couldn't know how active you are in the forums since I visit very few topics. I mostly visit the treasure legends only. I was hoping that you had your business back in full swing, but do I understand that your service in not over?

The Wilderness Act prohibits any commercial enterprise which would include filming for profit. The O.K. Corral takes advantage of a special provision that allows commercial services for recreational activities since it benefits the public in enjoying the area with minimal damage.

Glad to hear that you are finding some gold, hope you hit the mother lode.

Homar

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy My Friend,

I have been fine thank you, had been meaning to touch bases with you to see how you were doing, since I hadn't seen you post much. In reality I couldn't know how active you are in the forums since I visit very few topics. I mostly visit the treasure legends only. I was hoping that you had your business back in full swing, but do I understand that your service in not over?

The Wilderness Act prohibits any commercial enterprise which would include filming for profit. The O.K. Corral takes advantage of a special provision that allows commercial services for recreational activities since it benefits the public in enjoying the area with minimal damage.

Glad to hear that you are finding some gold, hope you hit the mother lode.

Homar

Yeah I am trying to find the mother load! I didn't have anything to do on a 3 day weekend in November so I took a hike up in the mountains there. I guess the only mother load I have right now has my being put on Active Duty, (not by my choice), over here since October, (right about the time I was starting to put in my retirement packet), and will be over here for several more months. Of course I will be sent somewhere else after that, but that is all I can say about it, but I will say I will be on U.S. soil so thats aplus in itself!

I hadn't posted or been on here hardly at all due to my being over here and hardly any internet service. Sure miss the site, at least I have a few more weeks to enjoy it!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah I am trying to find the mother load! I didn't have anything to do on a 3 day weekend in November so I took a hike up in the mountains there. I guess the only mother load I have right now has my being put on Active Duty, (not by my choice), over here since October, (right about the time I was starting to put in my retirement packet), and will be over here for several more months. Of course I will be sent somewhere else after that, but that is all I can say about it, but I will say I will be on U.S. soil so thats aplus in itself!

I hadn't posted or been on here hardly at all due to my being over here and hardly any internet service. Sure miss the site, at least I have a few more weeks to enjoy it!

So you are a reservist or guard that was activated? What's the story on that?

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Just what I expected. Watched the show Sunday and didn't show much, and certainly didn't impress me. I figured I would get through to at least 4-5 episodes before getting bored with it and not seeing much going on! WOW! 2 episodes and I am finished watching it for good!

randy c.

Feb 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Bob Brewer solved the Dutchmans treasure years ago. He figured out the map and come to the conclusion that the Dutchman was a KGC sentinel. It's all in his book Shadow of a Sentinel, a very good book on the subject.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Preview: Middle-aged white guys with more money and time than brains, argue and fight over decades old theories and legends with drama supplied by shots of rattlesnakes, sliding rocks, and burning hot shots of the sun. The producers throw in some ancient history and news footage of the recovery of dead bodies, and the usual suspects in Apache Junction and Tortilla Flats keep raking in that money. BORING!

bahahahaha sounds about right.....not interested, thanks for comin' out! Cheers all. On the flipside if you DIG that sort of thing enjoy!

Altronsfu

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting observations

I don't know how many of you actually watch legend of superstition mountains, but I just found something that I thought was interesting...

On the most recent episode (episode 3, I believe) the crew goes to Bob Schoose (owner of the Goldfield ghost town) for help finding leads to the treasure, Bob says clearly that he never found it but that he has a map from another family that mined the gold from the Dutchman mine.

Now that's all well and fine, however, I was perusing another show that I like to watch occasionally: Ghost Adventures. On this program they were in apache junction (season10 episode8) and spoke with Bob Schoose as well. As they toured the mountain with Bob, the crew asked Bob if he found the mine, hesitantly he responded that he DID find it, and they passed it as they were riding up the mountain. And that he managed to get about $1 million out of it.

This is interesting to me because he is lying to someone. Either he lied to ghost adventures and he was just blowing smoke to deter people from searching for it, or he's gonna have a jolly old laugh when the superstition mountains crew finds a cleaned out gold mine.

Just things to think about, I guess.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Grylls shamed the Regiment with that one!!! But in his defense (and I don't often defend E Sqn members!) please note, he DID climb Mt Everest age 23....
I have (very) limited experience if these types of shows but do know the producers etc often call the shots and the presenter has little choice but to cooperate.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Grylls shamed the Regiment with that one!!! But in his defense (and I don't often defend E Sqn members!) please note, he DID climb Mt Everest age 23....
I have (very) limited experience if these types of shows but do know the producers etc often call the shots and the presenter has little choice but to cooperate.

Right- in that regard you can't really blame Grylls. While he may be capable of surviving out there, and can and will eat almost anything, the crew supporting him can't.

The production company can't take those kinds of risks with people and equipment that aren't designed for that kind of roughness, and their insurance companies will yank coverage if they stray too far from access roads.

However, what Gryllis is guilty of is misleading the viewer into believing what he did was for real rather than a simulation, and that sparked the big backlash that led to the eventual cancellation of his show.

Survivorman, a.k.a., Les Stroud also had a support team monitoring him from a distance (also for insurance and safety reasons) but they did not interfere or facilitate anything for him.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Altronsfu,

What some people from the area choose to speak about can change from time to time. No legal liability that way. One of the biggest non-publicized stories was a location of the "Pit Mine" in the Eastern Superstitions. Very few people know what came out of that mine, but it was worked surreptitiously during the summer months of 1997-1999. There is a rumor that a couple of the people involved said that they had found the Lost Dutchman Mine. That means that they weren't mining uranium. IF someone had been part of that, then as much as they would like the fame of being part of a crew that found a rich gold mine (LDM or not), since the dig was illegal they couldn't. But, things slip from time to time.

Mike

Altronsfu

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Altronsfu,

What some people from the area choose to speak about can change from time to time. No legal liability that way. One of the biggest non-publicized stories was a location of the "Pit Mine" in the Eastern Superstitions. Very few people know what came out of that mine, but it was worked surreptitiously during the summer months of 1997-1999. There is a rumor that a couple of the people involved said that they had found the Lost Dutchman Mine. That means that they weren't mining uranium. IF someone had been part of that, then as much as they would like the fame of being part of a crew that found a rich gold mine (LDM or not), since the dig was illegal they couldn't. But, things slip from time to time.

Mike

Mike,

Interesting, I had no idea about any of that! I do understand about the legality issues, though. I just thought the whole thing was interesting on a basis of entertainment, since it wasn't more than an hour after I watched LoSM that I seen the exact same guy on Ghost Adventures, explain something completely different. Then again, who knows how much of it is just a producer telling him what to say or whatnot.

Anyway, thank you for the information! I really appreciate the response!

Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread