Sep 5, 2013
iowa formerly from the south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is probably a dumb question, but how do I correlate the latitude/longitude from that site to google earth? I found some mines that I want to check out, I can find them easy enough going off features on the map to put a placemark but the format is different between the two. I'll just use this mine as an example.

Placer Mines

The site says the latitude is 39.5225 and the longitude is -121.53610

When I get my place mark set as close as I can figure the coordinates say latitude is 39°31'19.71"N and longitude is 121°32'10.14"W on google earth.

Is there an easy way to punch in the coordinates that the site gives into google earth so I can put a placemark down without trying to go off features on the map? Not sure if anyone will know this next question but I'm also wondering if there's a way to get your places onto the phone app for google earth so you can take them out in the field?

That's a really cool site btw, I've been wanting to hike to a mine I found about 15 years ago when I was a teenager out turkey hunting. I didn't really have any interest in gold mining back then and the thought didn't even cross my mind other than thinking it was a pretty cool area. I've been looking over that area for structures and going off memory and that site confirmed there is a mine in the area I've been looking so I'm pretty excited to go check it out again all these years later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If google earth uses degrees instead of decimals just google a lat/long decimal to degrees converter. I dont use google earth (i prefer my garmin handheld as i can set and mark positions with a wrist device and or use the handheld and go back later and plot it more accuratrly)
This is probably a dumb question, but how do I correlate the latitude/longitude from that site to google earth? I found some mines that I want to check out, I can find them easy enough going off features on the map to put a placemark but the format is different between the two. I'll just use this mine as an example.

Placer Mines

The site says the latitude is 39.5225 and the longitude is -121.53610

When I get my place mark set as close as I can figure the coordinates say latitude is 39°31'19.71"N and longitude is 121°32'10.14"W on google earth.

Is there an easy way to punch in the coordinates that the site gives into google earth so I can put a placemark down without trying to go off features on the map? Not sure if anyone will know this next question but I'm also wondering if there's a way to get your places onto the phone app for google earth so you can take them out in the field?

That's a really cool site btw, I've been wanting to hike to a mine I found about 15 years ago when I was a teenager out turkey hunting. I didn't really have any interest in gold mining back then and the thought didn't even cross my mind other than thinking it was a pretty cool area. I've been looking over that area for structures and going off memory and that site confirmed there is a mine in the area I've been looking so I'm pretty excited to go check it out again all these years later.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Degrees, Minutes, Seconds to/from Decimal Degrees | FCC.gov
Use the one that converts to degrees min seconds (2nd converter)
Unsure why google earth doesn't auto convert. Maybe it does?

That worked, I didn't know I could just put in the decimal coordinates and it would work. when you place the marker it has a premade coordinate put in already and I was thinking to hard i guess on how i should convert it lol. I just deleted it and put the decimal in and it converted for me. Thanks :)

OP
OP
R

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also on those historical USGS maps, in 1983 the USGS switched their topo system. I'm currently unsure if it would affect anything marked on those old maps vs location on a new map. Still digging around about it. While the mil taught me land nav, I never realized there were so many topo measurements used.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Google earth has an option where you can view coordinates in both decimals and degrees. You just click on one of the options (not sure which one) and it changes it to whichever you choose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread