Is it just me, or is this section going downhill fast?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look around the treasure legend section these days. I see decreasing participation in threads across the board, especially from those we need to hear from most. Instead we have people rambling on and on off topic all the time, or just sitting and waiting for other people to show them where the treasures are. I see a lack of verifiable facts being posted, people who think because they have a non-treasure related agenda to promote we should all listen, and people promoting their baseless pet theories and zany concepts. And if you confront them with this, they think you mean someone else! I see lots of readers, but they only lurk, they do not participate.

Maybe I'm wrong, what do you think? What would it take to attract people to this section who have factual information they are willing to share, as well as prove? People who don't spend all their time waiting for others to post the goodies? What could we do to make this section better, and motivate people to post quality here over quantity? I have seen so many people leave the site since I started participating in 2010. People who had a lot of knowledge we were all benefiting from. I have my own theories as to why this is happening, but if I posted them here, they would most likely be deleted. I know Old Bookaroo left simply because he got tired of a certain kind of activity being promoted on T-net, again which I can't bring up or a I will be censored for saying so. Where is Crow these days? Where is Not Peralta? I could rattle off a huge list of names that are simply missing in action.

Suggestion? Solutions? Lets make this section good again!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Look around the treasure legend section these days. I see decreasing participation in threads across the board, especially from those we need to hear from most. Instead we have people rambling on and on off topic all the time, or just sitting and waiting for other people to show them where the treasures are. I see a lack of verifiable facts being posted, people who think because they have a non-treasure related agenda to promote we should all listen, and people promoting their baseless pet theories and zany concepts. And if you confront them with this, they think you mean someone else! I see lots of readers, but they only lurk, they do not participate.

Maybe I'm wrong, what do you think? What would it take to attract people to this section who have factual information they are willing to share, as well as prove? People who don't spend all their time waiting for others to post the goodies? What could we do to make this section better, and motivate people to post quality here over quantity? I have seen so many people leave the site since I started participating in 2010. People who had a lot of knowledge we were all benefiting from. I have my own theories as to why this is happening, but if I posted them here, they would most likely be deleted. I know Old Bookaroo left simply because he got tired of a certain kind of activity being promoted on T-net, again which I can't bring up or a I will be censored for saying so. Where is Crow these days? Where is Not Peralta? I could rattle off a huge list of names that are simply missing in action.

Suggestion? Solutions? Lets make this section good again!

I think it is just WINTER; bad weather... WINTER "BLUES"; SPRING is coming! BTW, pet wolves ate the Ground Hog...

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In winter, people have more time to post, not less. I am out in the field looking when its warm, so I post less in the summer than in the winter.

But its not just about how much you post, but the quality of what you post. I am going to use Gollum as an example here. HE is the kind of treasure hunter we need posting here! He engages in a lot of research! He has sources to quote! He goes out into the field and stomps on the terra! He doesn't show up here to promote off topic agendas, and doesn't expect people to believe him just because he posts some text on our screens. He calls people on their bs too! We need more people like Gollum posting in this section, to revive it to its former glory.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy reading these legends, many of them from where I grew up. But some of the people you named had a non treasure related agenda to promote too. And when you make a statement about why YOU think they left it shows you have one too.

I only say this to keep you honest here. Everyone has an agenda, we have to be astute enough to glean the best parts.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, the only agenda I ever had, Or Old Buckaroo had, was to keep other people's agendas off our screens here at T-net...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, the only agenda I ever had, Or Old Buckaroo had, was to keep other people's agendas off our screens here at T-net...

Lol. Yep, that is definitely an agenda!:tongue3:

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave I'm asking nicely, please post elsewhere, I have you on ignore for a reason.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Never been ignored before, it's kinda,,, nice. But it's your thread, do as you please.

As long as rewriting history isn't part of it.
Good luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave I'm asking nicely, please post elsewhere, I have you on ignore for a reason.
Dave is violating no rules, mods are the only ones who can tell members not to post in a thread...

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, this is why I think if you have someone on ignore, they should not be able to see your posts at all. Even when you ask nicely, its still ignored.

And Kemper, I am totally on board with those suggestions! :laughing7:

I don't expect people to reveal their hard won secrets or anything in a public forum, just refrain from posting opinion as if they had some factual basis for it, when they have nothing like that at all.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See, this is why I think if you have someone on ignore, they should not be able to see your posts at all. Even when you ask nicely, its still ignored.

I don't expect people to reveal their hard won secrets or anything in a public forum, just refrain from posting opinion as if they had some factual basis for it, when they have nothing like that at all.
Just ask Dave nicely to put you on ignore. Then he won't see your posts.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is veering off the topic, Dave was never intended to be the topic here. And my opinion stands: if you have someone on ignore they should not be able to see any thread or posts you put up. That is what ignore means on every single website except this one....

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just ask Dave nicely to put you on ignore. Then he won't see your posts.

But I would have missed all of these responses, how much fun is that?

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am a member of at least a half-dozen forums and none of them block the ignored poster from seeing your posts. They simply keep you from seeing the posts of the person you blocked.

And you obviously keep turning it off so you can see what Dave is posting so why bother?

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I did that only once for his initial post, but thanks anyway!

Be aware, you are still shown when someone posts that you have on ignore, you don't have to turn anything off.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your posts was deleted because it violated our rules.

If you have issue with moderation take it to pm per our rules, not in the open forums.

TreasureNet Rules

"If you've posted something, and it disappears, don't make a big deal out of it in another post! "

"Users may disagree with the decisions or actions of the moderators and/or administrators, however, disagreements, criticism and the like are not to be aired within the forums. Please feel free to PM the person directly rather than air your dirty laundry in public."

Take all the screenshots you want, as we have said multiple times deleted posts are still here just not visible to members.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I know what Matt I getting at but it seems the experts have staked claims on their own
fields of expertise. They don't normally cross over, well Reb does when he gets bored with
solving the Beale puzzle. I remember lots of authentic THers who have posted great info and
then disappear. You would think winter would be the time to draw them to the forum giving
us a chance to pick their brains.
Matt is a great poster who I enjoy bantering with since he roams about in both Colorado and
New Mexico which were my haunts when I was very active. I need to send him to Arizona to
check out some gold areas I spent time exploring.
Don't get discouraged Matt, I've got an old bottle site for you upriver.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I know what Matt I getting at but it seems the experts have staked claims on their own
fields of expertise. They don't normally cross over, well Reb does when he gets bored with
solving the Beale puzzle. I remember lots of authentic THers who have posted great info and
then disappear. You would think winter would be the time to draw them to the forum giving
us a chance to pick their brains.
Matt is a great poster who I enjoy bantering with since he roams about in both Colorado and
New Mexico which were my haunts when I was very active. I need to send him to Arizona to
check out some gold areas I spent time exploring.
Don't get discouraged Matt, I've got an old bottle site for you upriver.

LOL! I'M ONLY in Virginia... like to "banter", tho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread