Eddyville Iowa treasure tale. Could anyone please help determine the exact location? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Eddyville Iowa treasure tale. Could anyone please help determine the exact location?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven some where
    ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
    3584 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.
    Hello beauS

Kanacki the Old pirate belongs to Hardluck school of treasure hunting. And indeed he has offered you some sound advice. look for the facts and Go where the evidence takes you.If its runs out of lead or turns out to be hoax story. No use crying over spilled Milk and move on. There are hundreds of treasure legends to research into. Many will turn out to be the same. each one I guarantee you will be learning curve.

Such is the nature of beast ....

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by KANACKI View Post
    Hello BeauS

Talking to relatives require a special finesse. For example never present yourself as treasure hunter but and interested historian. Most people will know little of ancestors but some times you can get lucky. even strike some good information. So be tactful in your approach. As the Skeleton in in her classroom being from the grave from one found in 1920. I suspect the teacher told her little tongue in cheek Joke. However If it still exists

Anyway i wish you luck with your research you are already on way to discovering the truth behind the treasure legend.

I am setting sail tonight as a Typhoon is brewing and I am heading out to open sea and I am hoping to outrun her as I got to get clear of barrier reefs. Such is the curse of Being free to sail the Pacific.

Cheers

Kanacki
    Kanacki, I'm looking for 7 mounds in a straight line along the Des Moines river, could I have found one? An old wagon trail possibly went through this area at one time, can you spot anything worth checking out on this map? I know my best bet would to look at ground level.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Hello beauS

Kanacki the Old pirate belongs to Hardluck school of treasure hunting. And indeed he has offered you some sound advice. look for the facts and Go where the evidence takes you.If its runs out of lead or turns out to be hoax story. No use crying over spilled Milk and move on. There are hundreds of treasure legends to research into. Many will turn out to be the same. each one I guarantee you will be learning curve.

Such is the nature of beast ....

Crow
    Thanks Crow, I will listen to him. I had no idea there were old pirates on here, or people who are schooled in this. This is awesome!
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    I am sorry I am not much use to you as your search area at present is too large. You need to discover the original starting point at least the spot where the skull was found and work from thier. Possible the best plan of attack is research through any old local newspapers that has not been digitized as yet in the local library. Also en-quire at the local history society might help. Most of all if you can find descendants of the newspaper editor come post master. That might still have information passed down through the family?

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Crow, the old wagon trail (mormon trail) passed between grays creek and coal creek off the Des Moines river at Iowa in county. The skull was found on the trail. I'm looking for 7 mounds in the vicinity of the location of the trail. Could Bridgeport cemetery directly south, have clues?

Iowa. - David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
    Last edited by BeauS; Apr 12, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauS View Post
    Crow, the old wagon trail (mormon trail) passed between grays creek and coal creek off the Des Moines river at Eddyville Iowa in Wapello county. The skull was found on the trail. I'm looking for 7 mounds in the vicinity of the location of the trail. Could Bridgeport cemetery directly south, have clues?

Are you referring to the Bluff creek Cemetery?

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Hello Beau

It appears the Eddyville Branch of Mormon Trail went to Albia to the South West?

https://books.google.com.au/books?id...Mv88QWFv4CQAQ&

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Hello Beau

It appears the Eddyville Branch of Mormon Trail went to Albia to the South West?

https://books.google.com.au/books?id...Mv88QWFv4CQAQ&

Crow
    Crow, that's correct. It actually ran right between grays creek and Miller creek.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Are you referring to the Bluff creek Cemetery?

Crow
    Crow, Bluff creek cemetery was too far north. I'm thinking it was the oldest cemetery in this area in 1878. There is a railroad directly north, that I assume was originally the. It follows the map directly. is just to the North, and there's is a strip mine to the north east of that.

Location 41.089830,-92.731507

Imgur

Map of Iowa in 1852

Last edited by BeauS; Apr 12, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauS View Post
    Crow, Bluff creek cemetery was too far north. I'm thinking Hickory Grove Cemetery, it was the oldest cemetery in this area in 1878. There is a railroad directly north, that I assume was originally the Mormon Trail. It follows the map directly. Miller Creek is just to the North, and there's is a strip mine to the north east of that.

Location 41.089830,-92.731507

Imgur

Map of Iowa in 1852

Okay I can see two Cemeteries Circled in red. The road north of these was the alleged site of discovery of the skull marked X. Perhaps the wood along the creek in between the road and cemeteries marked in yellow? Still just stab in the dark and hell of a large area to search.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eddyville 3 jugs of gold treasure site.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	1131242

The cemetary established in 1878 existed, just when Black hills gold fields were in there heyday. So its not impossible?

I have found some thing else that might be of interest.

Crow
    Last edited by Crow; Mar 14, 2015 at 06:51 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Hello BeauS

I am not certain as there is always dangers in assuming too much. However Searching through Archival records there was LA Barge who died in 1911 Illinois. Who was a Civil war veteran and miner. If not beyond the realms of impossibility that he was once a miner in the black hills around 1878 and the la Barge of legend and author of the letter. Of course proving it is another matter.

Name:	la barge 1911.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	1131243

Crow
    doc-d and Rebel - KGC like this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Okay I can see two Cemeteries Circled in red. The road north of these was the alleged site of discovery of the skull marked X. Perhaps the wood along the creek in between the road and cemeteries marked in yellow? Still just stab in the dark and hell of a large area to search.

Name:	eddyville 3 jugs of gold treasure site.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	1131242

The cemetary established in 1878 existed, just when Black hills gold fields were in there heyday. So its not impossible?

I have found some thing else that might be of interest.

Crow
    Crow, check out Hickory Grove Cemetery, you'll see three pyramids. I don't they have anything to do with the legend though, they were built in 1939 Midwest Pyramids: One Mans Artistic Craftsmanship by mojorison on DeviantArt

Do you see a trail just to the south of the timber you circled in white? I think that used to be the mormon trail.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Hello BeauS

I am not certain as there is always dangers in assuming too much. However Searching through Archival records there was LA Barge who died in 1911 Illinois. Who was a Civil war veteran and miner. If not beyond the realms of impossibility that he was once a miner in the black hills around 1878 and the la Barge of legend and author of the letter. Of course proving it is another matter.

Name:	la barge 1911.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	1131243

Crow
    Crow, his name was Nelson Labarge, don't know how you discovered that information. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSTF-54H
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Hello BeauS

When ya been researching treasure legend 30 odd years ya kinda learn one two ways of finding out things.

What would be great for you if you could get some more detailed information, perhaps from the descendant of De Long?

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    [QUOTE=Crow;4436801]Hello BeauS

When ya been researching treasure legend 30 odd years ya kinda learn one two ways of finding out things.

What would be great for you if you could get some more detailed information, perhaps from the descendant of De Long?
    Last edited by BeauS; Mar 15, 2015 at 12:27 PM.
    Crow and Rebel - KGC like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links