Eddyville Iowa treasure tale. Could anyone please help determine the exact location? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Eddyville Iowa treasure tale. Could anyone please help determine the exact location?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven some where
    ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
    3584 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.
    [QUOTE=BeauS;4436848]Crow, I found a descendant through some research. I see he's got some relatives that might have some information as well. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Hello beauS A little tip from an Old Hand. Never give out the telephone contact numbers in public on Forum. The very person you want to contact for more information may be already pestered by people. who have read this online. So I suggest you delete the link and Keep it for yourself for now. There is an old saying never play all your cards at once.

But doing okay ya learning....

Crow
    Last edited by Crow; Mar 15, 2015 at 04:42 PM.
    doc-d and Rebel - KGC like this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Crow, I deleted my post. You might have to edit your post and remove that quote so we can keep that information hidden.

I'll see if I can get anymore information about the old postmaster. I need a more pinpointed search area and not just a shot In the dark.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauS View Post
    Crow, I deleted my post. You might have to edit your post and remove that quote so we can keep that information hidden.

I'll see if I can get anymore information about the old postmaster. I need a more pinpointed search area and not just a shot In the dark.
    Yes. One of the problems of such treasure is a century has passed alot of land clearances and farming has happened since then. The Key for you is to get a Copy of the original letter. Good luck and all the best with your search.

Crow
    doc-d likes this.

ec
    May 2013
    Ecuador, America
    2369 times
    Senor Crow, our black feathered one, points out some very helpful info……be very careful what you post…….pictures can reveal data which will reveal location and dates, giving too much info may result in people using your info, and do not forget that certain gov types likely follow at least some of this for their purposes……..
    As our black bird says, be careful what you post, there is much to post, much to discuss, but protect yourself.

Vaya con Dios, viva Christo Rey
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doc-d View Post
    Senor Crow, our black feathered one, points out some very helpful info……be very careful what you post…….pictures can reveal data which will reveal location and dates, giving too much info may result in people using your info, and do not forget that certain gov types likely follow at least some of this for their purposes……..
    As our black bird says, be careful what you post, there is much to post, much to discuss, but protect yourself.

Vaya con Dios, viva Christo Rey
    I'll listen to you guys, I'm new to this stuff.

Anyway, I found an interesting article from a farmer in 1927. I would like you guys to read this page please. There is information related to this legend on page 4 and page 10.

I'm looking for two graveyards and two oak trees to the north. From the two oak trees and after 100 paces there should be several long troughs and corresponding ridges. At this spot the body is buried. On this spot as a corner, a square is constructed, ten paces on a side. Each corner would be $10,000. There is a lot of information in this article. By paces, they mean steps?

Anyway, I plan to try and get the 1903 at a historical library.

Wallace's Farmer 30 December 1927 ? Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections
    Last edited by BeauS; Apr 12, 2015 at 07:11 PM.
    doc-d and Rebel - KGC like this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Yes. One of the problems of such treasure is a century has passed alot of land clearances and farming has happened since then. The Key for you is to get a Copy of the original letter. Good luck and all the best with your search.

Crow
    Crow, I believe I've found the area. check this out. How would you form the square from the ridges and troughs?

Imgur

Imgur
    Last edited by BeauS; Mar 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Crow, I believe I've found the area. check this out. How would you form the square from the ridges and troughs?

Imgur

Imgur
    Looks good. Just one thing those dam landmarks are they more recent or much older?

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Looks good. Just one thing those dam landmarks are they more recent or much older?

Crow
    Crow, I believe those landmarks were there since 1878. How would you map this out?
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Crow, I believe those landmarks were there since 1878. How would you map this out?
    If you have a GPS record the closest spot you suspect then grid reference front that spot each corner with each sides of grid 10 steps. flag or mark the corners with stakes and metal detect the area within paying attention to corners. Repeat the process of grids recording their position on the GPS. Until you have searched the area around you starting point. It comes down to slow methodical searching with the detector. Hardest thing of all is finding the correct original starting point.

Congrats finding that newspaper article which gives more details. There is more questions to uncover in regards to la Barge story. I could not find anyone with that exact name and age given at the the time of alleged events.

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    [QUOTE=Crow;4440082]If you have a GPS record the closest spot you suspect then grid reference front that spot each corner with each sides of grid 10 steps. flag or mark the corners with stakes and metal detect the area within paying attention to corners. Repeat the process of grids recording their position on the GPS. Until you have searched the area around you starting point. It comes down to slow methodical searching with the detector. Hardest thing of all is finding the correct original starting point.

Congrats finding that newspaper article which gives more details. There is more questions to uncover in regards to la Barge story. I could not find anyone with that exact name and age given at the the time of alleged events.

Crow[/Q

Hello Crow,

His name was Jerome LeBarge, I'll keep searching.

"Then he sighted from the middle
    of the old road past the two trees.
    Behold, at the end of the hundred
    paces that the map mentioned, he
    found several long troughs and corresponding ridges. This was where the
    body was supposed to have been buried and certainly the ground looked
    as tho some one had dug for a body."

"On this spot as a corner, a square was
    constructed ten paces on a side, just
    as the map advised, and at each of
    these corners there should have been
    at least $10,000."

I'm guessing the starting point is the old road? Or would it be the two oak trees?
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Hello BeauS

Your doing okay with the alleged location, tend to believe ya close to identifying the location as per article by description. However there is some flies in the ointment so to speak the alleged letter from this Mrs Jos Snow? I cannot verify anyone by that name that lived in Pittsburgh in any era with that name? Neither anywhere in the United states? So I tried Josephina Snow. Nothing definite in that state or era?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Josephina Snow 1870 CENSUS s.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1132744

Also with Jerome la Barge. No record of by that name dying in Pittsburgh or anywhere, anytime. There was one Jerome Le Barge in all records of the united states he lived in 1880 aged 14 in Wisconsin as a apprentice Carpenter.

Name:	JEROME LA BARGE WISCONISON 1880 s.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	1132743

Non can be effectively connected to characters mentioned in the alleged letter.

In recapping what proven facts: We have real person editor post master De Long the source of this story. A reasonable accurate description of a locality in which De Long himself being post master must of known the area. A story where all the principle people, players of the treasure legend with no records discovered as such to confirm the existence of them anywhere. This unfortunately for me raises red flags.

Unless some verifiable information turns out you might just chasing just a story, a invented tale by De Long for his paper or perhaps a fun project of Mason lodge he was part of?

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Hello BeauS

Your doing okay with the alleged location, tend to believe ya close to identifying the location as per article by description. However there is some flies in the ointment so to speak the alleged letter from this Mrs Jos Snow? I cannot verify anyone by that name that lived in Pittsburgh in any era with that name? Neither anywhere in the United states? So I tried Josephina Snow. Nothing definite in that state or era?

Name:	Josephina Snow 1870 CENSUS s.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1132744

Also with Jerome la Barge. No record of by that name dying in Pittsburgh or anywhere, anytime. There was one Jerome Le Barge in all records of the united states he lived in 1880 aged 14 in Wisconsin as a apprentice Carpenter.

Name:	JEROME LA BARGE WISCONISON 1880 s.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	1132743

Non can be effectively connected to characters mentioned in the alleged letter.

In recapping what proven facts: We have real person editor post master De Long the source of this story. A reasonable accurate description of a locality in which De Long himself being post master must of known the area. A story where all the principle people, players of the treasure legend with no records discovered as such to confirm the existence of them anywhere. This unfortunately for me raises red flags.

Unless some verifiable information turns out you might just chasing just a story, a invented tale by De Long for his paper or perhaps a fun project of Mason lodge he was part of?

Crow
    Crow, I cannot find anything on the players of the legend either. Nothing, anywhere. I will try my best to get a copy of the 1903 Tribune, honestly my state historical society might not have it. I wonder why he chose that area, because he knew so much about it? He would've had to of walked over that area to get those kinds of details. I mean did they have detailed maps of the land back in 1903?
    Last edited by BeauS; Apr 12, 2015 at 07:12 PM.
    Crow and Rebel - KGC like this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Hello beauS

Remember in the County History article I posted. In his biography he originally trained as a landscape painter. Spent 4 years roaming the countryside painting landscapes Iowa. Perhaps he turned his creative talents into a story about a landscape he saw while painting?

Crow
    lastleg and Rebel - KGC like this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Hey Crow, thanks for pointing that out. You may very well be right about De Long. Until anything is found on the characters of this legend, it's a hoax.
    Crow and Rebel - KGC like this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Hey Crow, thanks for pointing that out. You may very well be right about De Long. Until anything is found on the characters of this legend, it's a hoax.

Hello BeauS indeed in may be? But I can guarantee you it has not been a waste of your time. As I have seen you develop many skills evolve in you since the first post, so give yourself a pat on the back. It is easy for many people to become self obsessed about particular treasure legend and discard and become blind to all else. You have showed the patience and reasoning that is needed to have the makings of a good treasure researcher. The first thing with any treasure legends to establish verifiable facts and work from there. If anything I think you have experienced a very valuable lesson on how to approach a treasure legend.

The next one you will look at you will be more the wiser on what to look for.

Cheers Crow
    doc-d, Loke and Rebel - KGC like this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links