Eddyville Iowa treasure tale. Could anyone please help determine the exact location? - Page 6
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Eddyville Iowa treasure tale. Could anyone please help determine the exact location?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven some where
    ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
    3586 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauS View Post
    I guess it could also mean pauper or convict? If you look closely on the 1860, his entry is at the top. Nothing indicated in box 14.
    Not sure if it has any affect on our research.

http://postimg.org/image/8n8ge88in/

So going through the latest article I posted on here, I'm seeing different spellings in this "Jos Snow." character. I went ahead and tried "Jos Shaw" in Ancestry and found something. He was a coal minor from England living in Robinson, Pennsylvania. Could his wife Sarah have used his surename when she wrote that letter?

http://i.imgur.com/y0slOfX.jpg
    Hello BeauS

For Shaw I am not sure with the document you show is for 1920. Possible but not conclusive.

Here is a Josephina Snow age 1 a Canadian living in a united State Indian reservation in 1870. That of course not conclusive either? But possible? Was she the Jos Snow of the story?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Josephina Snow 1870 CENSUS s.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1144643

I think we have to determine which was the correct name Snow or Shaw? As a rule the earliest version generally more accurate. However that due various reasons may not always be the case. The 1920 version was about 17 years after the event. It is easy to forget things especially exact details.

If she was the lady mentioned in the letter? she would of been about 33-34 at the time of Jerrome's Le Barge's death in 1903. Still we have a few gaps as there is some thing missing from the story. So the story not dead yet but not quite past the line either?

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Hello BeauS

For Shaw I am not sure with the document you show is for 1920. Possible but not conclusive.

Here is a Josephina Snow age 1 a Canadian living in a united State Indian reservation in 1870. That of course not conclusive either? But possible? Was she the Jos Snow of the story?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Josephina Snow 1870 CENSUS s.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1144643

I think we have to determine which was the correct name Snow or Shaw? As a rule the earliest version generally more accurate. However that due various reasons may not always be the case. The 1920 version was about 17 years after the event. It is easy to forget things especially exact details.

If she was the lady mentioned in the letter? she would of been about 33-34 at the time of Jerrome's Le Barge's death in 1903. Still we have a few gaps as there is some thing missing from the story. So the story not dead yet but not quite past the line either?

Crow
    Hey there Crow. The 1920 oskaloosa article has information that was cut out of the original November 6th 1903 newspaper I posted. It has the complete "confession made in letter" section. This makes me think it was just copied over. It looks like DeLong used different spellings of her name in the original article in 1903.

Remember this "Mrs. Shaw" would have resided in Pittsburgh or near around 1903.
    Last edited by BeauS; Apr 10, 2015 at 02:22 AM.
    Crow and Rebel - KGC like this.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3586 times
    Hey there Crow. The 1920 oskaloosa article has information that was cut out of the original November 6th 1903 newspaper I posted. It has the complete "confession made in letter" section. This makes me think it was just copied over. It looks like DeLong used different spellings of her name in the original article in 1903.

Remember this "Mrs. Shaw" would have resided in Pittsburgh or near around 1903.
    Hello Beau was this Mrs Shaw recorded in 1900 census in Pittsburgh?

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Crow, I'll have to do some checking. I found her in the 1920 census so far.

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3586 times
    Crow, I'll have to do some checking. I found her in the 1920 census so far.
    Hello BeauS

Ya doing well.

Try some small spelling variations as some times people who collected the census taken down info misspell names. look for her husband in 1900 or 1910 census.

Crow

Mar 2015
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Hello BeauS

Ya doing well.

Try some small spelling variations as some times people who collected the census taken down info misspell names. look for her husband in 1900 or 1910 census.

Crow
    Hello Crow, I found Jos Shaw listed in the 1900 census as "Joseph Shaw," a laborer in coal mining. Married to Sarah Shaw living in South Fayette, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. A couple things here, a few of their neighbors were coal miners as well.

If you look further down their household you will see someone by the name of "Thomas Bennett" born in 1842 from England. He was a boarder, a non family member, and a coal miner. Looking back at the story and the December 30th, 1927 article I posted a few weeks back, LeBarge stayed at the house of Jos Snow and paid a regular board.

Imgur
    Last edited by BeauS; Apr 11, 2015 at 07:28 AM.

Mar 2015
    3658 times
    Hello Crow, I found Jos Shaw listed in the 1900 census as "Joseph Shaw," a laborer in coal mining. Married to Sarah Shaw living in South Fayette, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. A couple things here, a few of their neighbors were coal minors as well.

If you look further down their household you will see someone by the name of "Thomas Bennett" born in 1842 from England. He was a boarder, a non family member, and a coal miner. Looking back at the story and the December 30th, 1927 article I posted a few weeks back, LeBarge stayed at the house of Jos Snow and paid a regular board.

Imgur
    Hola BeauS

Yes it is strong possibility. That this is correct name of the women who rented a room to la barge? Her residence was not far from Pittsburgh. So technically its not unusual to say she was from Pittsburgh. It might pay to check Thomas Bennett weather he was still a border with them in 1910 Census?

To not too far a stretch to say between 1900 and 1903 this Le Barge rented room of them.

Kanacki

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3586 times
    Hello Crow, I found Jos Shaw listed in the 1900 census as "Joseph Shaw," a laborer in coal mining. Married to Sarah Shaw living in South Fayette, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. A couple things here, a few of their neighbors were coal minors as well.

Imgur
    Hello BeauS

Well done! Jos was short for Joseph. De long might of deliberately disguised the name in the original story and years later in 1920 reveal the real last name of the house keeper. Perhaps it was an attempt to protect thier privicy from would be treasure hunters?

Ya doing well keep researching... I will see if this Jerome has a death certificate.

Crow
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    3658 times
    Hola BeauS

The time for us is to move on , before I do I want to thank you for the fantastic posts. It has been a pleasure to seeing you evolve. Just remember to do one thing for yourself. Take down the given location off your posts as there many who never post will take every bit of your hard work for nothing. Remember play your cards well and never give trump cards away so easily.

I say that on behalf of me and Crow as he is unable to do do. Regardless of the outcome of your research you have great prospects and future ahead of you.

Kanacki
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Mar 2015
    67 times
    I want to thank you guys for your support, I learned a lot from both of you! I will remember to follow the things that are true, and be wary of the things that could be false. I will take down the location and keep researching!
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Aug 2015
    Iowa
    Garrett Ace 250
    1 times
    Metal Detecting
    https://sites.google.com/site/nation.../national/iowa

Looking on Google maps, Crane cemetery is north of along the Des Moines river. It's located on Jason trail, and there is a left turn directly north of the cemetery. I know it's just a tale, but would that be the spot to look? Is it safe for me to check out that area?

I'm new to metal detecting, would have to purchase a detector and pinpointer.

Where did you learn about this story, with the Crane Cemetery, I know this story and have been there doing some detecting, but I have not heard about this cemetery.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Sep 2015
    1 times
    I was once told gold was detected but not found, northwest of the cemetery between a curve on a road and the city limits about 20 years ago. Then I was told between rr tracks & a curve. Person would not say much more than that. Have also been told others have detected possible gold in the same vicinity. But excused it as possible glacial gold traces.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Eddyville, IA
    Garrett AP Pro
    1 times
    "I work with a girl who is from. She said her Elementary school teacher had a skeleton in her classroom that was recovered by the road crew in that town."

That's funny, I am also from Eddyville, and I recall in 4th or 5th grade, hearing that story about the skeleton. I recall the treasure/murder story as far back as I can remember. I read about it in a book called "Tales of Old Eddyville" written by Eddyville Resident Frank Brown.

You ask any Native Eddyville resident and they will know the story, Or some version of it.
    I hope you find it
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Oct 2014
    I Forgot
    200 times
    Cache Hunting
    I know this is an old post but this story has been a fav of mine for almost 40 years lol.

I've been an historical researcher for over 40 years. Specializing in buried and lost gold coin hoards.

I don't understand why, but all I see in this post is people looking for a Jos Snow or Jos Shaw or Josephine Snow/Shaw? The article mentioned MRS. Jas Snow/Shaw. That would ALWAYS be the title of the WIFE of a James Snow/Shaw. You shouldn't have been looking for a woman by that name, you should have been looking for the wife of a JAMES. Of course looking for a name as popular as James Snow or James Shaw in old records in the Pittsburg area would surely bring dozens and dozens of results and might be next to impossible to determine the correct one.

Contrary to many people's belief on this post, I believe this story just MIGHT be true.

Why?

1. The postmaster talked two people into going with him to look for this gold himself before he made the info public.

2. The postmaster wasn't the one that claimed to have found the skull.

3. It wasn't like the two men involved in the murder took time to dig a hole in the middle of the road to bury the skull. They threw it into a wagon rut and covered it up. A wagon rut could have been plenty deep enough to bury a skull, and it would have only taken a couple minutes to cover it up.

4. As far as taking the time to burn the skull or drawing attention to themselves by building a fire ....... the fire was already burning. Besides, they probably would have heard any wagons or horses coming long before anybody could have seen them. I have horses, and there are horses and buggies in my neighborhood - you can hear them coming from a surprising long distance.

5. Just because the woman that supposedly sent the letter to Eddyville didn't give her contact info doesn't mean it was a hoax. Maybe she just didn't see any need to? She said she didn't know what was in the letter. Why would somebody go to the extreme of writing a letter like that, describing an area exactly like it really looked, just for a hoax? (it's POSSIBLE - but very, very HIGHLY unlikely)

6. Just because a handful of townspeople in Eddyville stated that the postmaster probably made up the story to sell papers, doesn't make their statement true. Think about it ......... dozens and dozens of people from town searched for the treasure. If they didn't think it was real they wouldn't have done that. It was only AFTER the fact when it wasn't found that THOSE rumors started. It would have been an natural tendency on the searchers part to say that if it was never found ........... what else COULD they think ...... if they quit looking for it, they wouldn't have wanted to believe that it was really there.

Now sure there is also evidence that points to this story being made up, but you can say that about almost all stories of lost treasure. Maybe somebody in town DID find it and kept quite?

I'm just saying, don't always be so quick to discount stories like this as a hoax just because it doesn't fit into YOUR idea of logical thinking? OR the fact that you can't find every piece of evidence that you want, to prove that the story is true, doesn't mean that it's not.

I'm just saying ...............

There wouldn't be any such thing as lost treasure if they all had all the documentation that you're looking for, because it would have all been found. THAT'S EXACTLY why there IS LOST TREASURE still out there lol

Oh well, don't ya just LOVE these stories? ha ha ha
    Rebel - KGC and miboje like this.
    http://www.goldenrecoveries.com

"It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. You're gonna have fun, and I'm gonna have fun... We're all gonna have so much ^#&^*@ fun we're gonna need plastic surgery to remove our @&%^! smiles! You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of your ^%$*&^!" - Clark Griswold

Jun 2007
    13758 times
    GREAT "Detective Work", y'all!
    goldenrecoveries and franklin like this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links