Eddyville Iowa treasure tale. Could anyone please help determine the exact location?

BeauS

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried gold treasure tale. Could anyone please help determine the exact location?

https://sites.google.com/site/nationaltreasuresonline/national/iowa

Looking on Google maps, Crane cemetery is north of along the Des Moines river. It's located on Jason trail, and there is a left turn directly north of the cemetery. I know it's just a tale, but would that be the spot to look? Is it safe for me to check out that area?

I'm new to metal detecting, would have to purchase a detector and pinpointer.

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola BeauS

The first thing you should do research more than taking the legend on face value. Establish fact from fiction and then work from there. It might just save you some wasted time and effort in the field.

Kanacki

OP
OP
B

BeauS

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, if somebody knew the location, why would they provide it?

That's true. Does that automatically make it invalid? Others would have gotten to it a long time ago?

i know for a fact that it is the Des Moines river that runs through that town. North of is Crane Cemetary located on Jason trail. The trail turns left north of the cemetery and is along the river.

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never assume others would have gotten it already….Senor Kanacki provided some great advice……research will guide you.
Remember that rivers change course, old maps, newspapers, other records are a good start.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola BeauS

There are two versions of the treasure legend. Which one is, if any is correct. For example the one version of story was based on a letter revived to an local newspaper editor. Another was to the post master of Eddyville. Which was true if any of course?

The letter containing information about the murder of man called William Guntin after playing cards with two other men.

Black Hills Miner.gif

All was returning from the black hills gold fields. This gold rush happened around 1874-1877 at it peak. So we could assume that the 3 men in story of events was around that time frame?

DeadwoodPhotoCard.jpg

68211238514620laneGold05.jpg

Of course according to the story the alleged murder was done and secretly buried so no newspaper evidence of the event as it went unpunished. One question should spring to mind why would two men who just murdered their fellow traveling companion not just take the gold? After all they was returning from the gold fields was they not? So the strength of the legend is what was allegedly claimed by either newspaper editor or the post master?

And the later story that allegedly confirms this legend the skull that was allegedly found by road workers. Surely an event even for the 1920's there would of least been an official report of the discovery or at least a newspaper report on the find, would it not?

Yet a cursory inspections of newspapers of that era and region at "present" gave no reports of the finding of such skull. So much is based on Hearsay from an unproven source. Treasure hunting is bit like examining a cold case for the facts behind such legends.

Kanacki

OP
OP
B

BeauS

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola BeauS

There are two versions of the treasure legend. Which one is, if any is correct. For example the one version of story was based on a letter revived to an local newspaper editor. Another was to the post master. Which was true if any of course?

The letter containing information about the murder of man called William Guntin after playing cards with two other men.

View attachment 1128627

All was returning from the black hills gold fields. This gold rush happened around 1874-1877 at it peak. So we could assume that the 3 men in story of events was around that time frame?

View attachment 1128626

View attachment 1128628

Of course according to the story the alleged murder was done and secretly buried so no newspaper evidence of the event as it went unpunished. One question should spring to mind why would two men who just murdered their fellow traveling companion not just take the gold? After all they was returning from the gold fields was they not? So the strength of the legend is what was allegedly claimed by either newspaper editor or the post master?

And the later story that allegedly confirms this legend the skull that was allegedly found by road workers. Surely an event even for the 1920's there would of least been an official report of the discovery or at least a newspaper report on the find, would it not?

Yet a cursory inspections of newspapers of that era and region at "present" gave no reports of the finding of such skull. So much is based on Hearsay from an unproven source. Treasure hunting is bit like examining a cold case for the facts behind such legends.

Kanacki

All I see is two sources, I would also think there would be more. One from lost treasure online and national treasure online. The editor was W.W. De Long in 1887 according to this source. So at least the name of the editor in the tale might be correct. Not sure if that means a damn thing.

Iowa - Dead Men Tell No Tales | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine

https://books.google.com/books?id=E...ng&source=bl&ots=5Qf7U1s4Pj&sig=fEb0_Xp_cN4Y-
_y8GcNLvvKSdk0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=b9f8VNvBHcP3yQTkyYLABg&ved=0CDUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=W.W.%20Delong&f=false

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola BeauS

It appears W w De long was an editor of a newspaper and later the post master of Eddyville. As you can see below.

This source from the Walpello county history.

547.GIF

548.GIF

At least now we can confirm the source of the story was actually via W W De Long.

Here is a register of his appointment of post master of Eddyville from 1899-1905.

US POST MASTERS 1832-1932 sm  w w de long 1899.jpg

If I was you I would look to the local reference libraries in your county to see if the old newspaper Weekly tribune gives any more information, that might help with your search?

Kanacki

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hi Beau,

De Long was a Mason and a member of the Knights of Pythias and it's possible that this story was created to draw attention to your area for some other reason. There could be some type of clue at the cemetery.

You might have a better chance of finding something of historic value by studying the maps of Albert Lea that show dragoon campsites along the Des Moines River.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeauS

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola BeauS

It appears W w De long was an editor of a newspaper and later the post master of Eddyville. As you can see below.

This source from the Walpello county history.

View attachment 1128753

View attachment 1128756

At least now we can confirm the source of the story was actually via W W De Long.

Here is a register of his appointment of post master of Eddyville from 1899-1905.

View attachment 1128757

If I was you I would look to the local reference libraries in your county to see if the old newspaper Weekly tribune gives any more information, that might help with your search?

Kanacki

Hello Kanacki.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kZr9DSyVSSR2J4S05YSElLYTlwWmVwZ0NMWUJWRmVVUEJj/view?usp=sharing
Here is a source that apparently contains the article written by De Long. I've found a relative of his, should I consider contacting them?

I work with a girl who is from. She said her Elementary school teacher had a skeleton in her classroom that was recovered by the road crew in that town.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeauS

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Beau,
You have a capital B and a capital S in your posting name and the chances are real good that the story is just that. De Long was a Mason and a member of the Knights of Pythias and it's possible that this story was created to draw attention to your area for some other reason. There could be some type of clue at the cemetery.

You might have a better chance of finding something of historic value by studying the maps of Albert Lea that show dragoon campsites along the Des Moines River.

I found something about the mound builders of Iowa, they dated back to the ancient times. Northwest of they discovered 7 mounds of equal distances apart. I have no idea is this even relates or not.

https://play.google.com/books/reade...ec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA29

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I found something about the mound builders of Iowa, they dated back to the ancient times. Northwest of Eddyville they discovered 7 mounds of equal distances apart. I have no idea is this even relates or not.

https://play.google.com/books/reade...ec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA29

I'm looking at a group of mounds right now. They're located on a high bluff overlooking the Mississippi. I'm trying to figure out if they were constructed to line up with sunrise and sunset at specific times of the year. If you're interested in the mounds, maybe we can share information.

I don't know how much research you've done in your area, but the Des Moines River was important during the colonial fur trade.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is exactly 1234.1 miles directly due East of the Dutchman

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kZr9DSyVSSR2J4S05YSElLYTlwWmVwZ0NMWUJWRmVVUEJj/view?usp=sharing
Here is a source that apparently contains the article written by De Long. I've found a relative of his, should I consider contacting them?

I work with a girl who is from Eddyville. She said her Elementary school teacher had a skeleton in her classroom that was recovered by the road crew in that town.

Hello BeauS

Talking to relatives require a special finesse. For example never present yourself as treasure hunter but and interested historian. Most people will know little of ancestors but some times you can get lucky. even strike some good information. So be tactful in your approach. As the Skeleton in in her classroom being from the grave from one found in 1920. I suspect the teacher told her little tongue in cheek Joke. However If it still exists:dontknow:

Anyway i wish you luck with your research you are already on way to discovering the truth behind the treasure legend.

I am setting sail tonight as a Typhoon is brewing and I am heading out to open sea and I am hoping to outrun her as I got to get clear of barrier reefs. Such is the curse of Being free to sail the Pacific.

Cheers

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello beauS

Kanacki the Old pirate belongs to Hardluck school of treasure hunting. And indeed he has offered you some sound advice. look for the facts and Go where the evidence takes you.If its runs out of lead or turns out to be hoax story. No use crying over spilled Milk and move on. There are hundreds of treasure legends to research into. Many will turn out to be the same. each one I guarantee you will be learning curve.

Such is the nature of beast ....

Crow

OP
OP
B

BeauS

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello BeauS

Talking to relatives require a special finesse. For example never present yourself as treasure hunter but and interested historian. Most people will know little of ancestors but some times you can get lucky. even strike some good information. So be tactful in your approach. As the Skeleton in in her classroom being from the grave from one found in 1920. I suspect the teacher told her little tongue in cheek Joke. However If it still exists:dontknow:

Anyway i wish you luck with your research you are already on way to discovering the truth behind the treasure legend.

I am setting sail tonight as a Typhoon is brewing and I am heading out to open sea and I am hoping to outrun her as I got to get clear of barrier reefs. Such is the curse of Being free to sail the Pacific.

Cheers

Kanacki

Kanacki, I'm looking for 7 mounds in a straight line along the Des Moines river, could I have found one? An old wagon trail possibly went through this area at one time, can you spot anything worth checking out on this map? I know my best bet would to look at ground level.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

OP
OP
B

BeauS

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello beauS

Kanacki the Old pirate belongs to Hardluck school of treasure hunting. And indeed he has offered you some sound advice. look for the facts and Go where the evidence takes you.If its runs out of lead or turns out to be hoax story. No use crying over spilled Milk and move on. There are hundreds of treasure legends to research into. Many will turn out to be the same. each one I guarantee you will be learning curve.

Such is the nature of beast ....

Crow

Thanks Crow, I will listen to him. I had no idea there were old pirates on here, or people who are schooled in this. This is awesome!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry I am not much use to you as your search area at present is too large. You need to discover the original starting point at least the spot where the skull was found and work from thier. Possible the best plan of attack is research through any old local newspapers that has not been digitized as yet in the local library. Also en-quire at the local history society might help. Most of all if you can find descendants of the newspaper editor come post master. That might still have information passed down through the family?

Crow

OP
OP
B

BeauS

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, the old wagon trail (mormon trail) passed between grays creek and coal creek off the Des Moines river at Iowa in county. The skull was found on the trail. I'm looking for 7 mounds in the vicinity of the location of the trail. Could Bridgeport cemetery directly south, have clues?

Iowa. - David Rumsey Historical Map Collection

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions