The Lost Carson Mine - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree856Likes

Thread: The Lost Carson Mine

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven some where
    ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
    3584 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.
    Hello Matt I am more than sure Now. What difference a few hours can do. In millions of records of census Fedral and state there was only 11 Levi Carson's of that era. Most was in the eastern states one in Louisiana either too young or died before the event happened. The only one recorded in Colorado is as mentioned above. His son Oliver took over the Farm on death of his father in 1904. Levi Carson was the only recorded Levi Carson in Colorado.

You can see for yourself below 1880 census.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1880 UNITED STATES SENSUS COLARADO LEVI CARSON s.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	568.6 KB 
ID:	1134628

This 1875 census that show where he was earlier.

Name:	LEVI CARSON 1875 MAID WITH 4 KIDS s.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	572.3 KB 
ID:	1134633

I will post the 1900 census that you might find interesting.

Crow

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    hello Matt

He was not in 1900 census but his wife and son was now living in Silverton. So Levi might of been away on the night of the Census in 1900 where perhaps gathering his gold?

you can see for yourself... below.

Name:	OLIVER CARSON SON OF LEVI CARSON SILVERTOWN COLARADO S.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	733.2 KB 
ID:	1134637

For me this is a positive as you have a treasure legend where your not searching for a "ghost" of the principle player of the legend. Levi Carson was a real person who lived in colorado with his wife and family who died in 1904. but for several years at least noted from 1895 to have found an alleged ledge of gold. You have quite an interesting story to hunt down to get at the truth behind the story.

Since he had six children there might possibly be descendants that have knowlege of the story and perhaps a few more UN-published details? What would be nice is to find the earliest publish version of this story?

Crow
    Last edited by Crow; Mar 22, 2015 at 05:36 AM.

pt
    Sep 2014
    6902 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
    So there you have it. The vein is most likely at the head of Twilight Creek on the south side of the watershed. I would love it if anyone knows any further details.

Getting up there is certainly a challenge. Twilight Creek empties into Lime Creek at around 8600 feet, and then the watershed meanders ever upward to the east north-east for close to 3 miles with an elevation increase up to 11,900 feet, with the surrounding terrain extending up much higher than that. To engage in a proper search would require people acclimated to the elevation and able to haul enough food, camping equipment, prospecting equipment, and metal detector gear up to 11,900, and then be able to carry on the search at even higher elevations. I have an idea where to look specifically, but have never gone up there to engage this in a serious way. I hope to do so soon however.
    Man, this is a tough project. No wonder the site has not been relocated. You'd better get busy while you're legs are still young. Below is a section of the Snowden Creek USGS quad (37107F6) with my interpretation of your chosen base camp and a rough outline of your described search zone. Also a typical GE view looking SE. A hi-res, low-angle aerial photo would obviously be much better and possibly be a valuable planning tool. At that altitude, will your drones be of any use for reconnaissance?

Name:	Twilight.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	1134741

Name:	Looking SE.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	1134742

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2470 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks for doing all the research on that Crow! Its very appreciated! I agree it is very likely you found our man Carson, and it does lend credible evidence to this tale. I may try to find out if he has any descendants still in the area that I can speak to personally.

And sdcfia, I could not agree with you more! I am 49 and every year it gets harder to struggle up to the areas I have the most interest in. I spend days every week in the gym conditioning my legs and cardiovascular system to continue to be able to do so in the summer months, but it isn't getting any easier. I live at around 6,500 feet as well, which makes it a lot easier than coming up from the flatlands. But I was planning to attack the slopes right up Twilight Creek, not take existing trails. I have a Google Earth Pro map of my planned access route, but its over 16mb! I will have to print and scan it to upload it here at work on Monday.

But consider, the fact that it is so very remote and hard to get to may be the only reason it has a chance to still exist. If it was next to US550 down below, it would have been exploited long ago.

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    Also, it would be illegal for me to take a motorized drone into a Wilderness Area, though I would certainly love to have the option of doing so.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    Another thought: I know people with horses in the area. I may have them take me as high as possible and drop me off where it gets too steep and rugged for horses to get through. What I really need is some burros from Tropical Tramp to carry all my gear. If Carson could get up high with burros, I should be able to as well.
    Last edited by UncleMatt; Mar 22, 2015 at 01:23 PM.

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    Or maybe I should just find some areas next to Lime Creek Road to video and photograph and then pretend I hit the actual search area....

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    Now now ya be watching too many of those shameful documentaries as of late. Forget documentaries go for the gold.

Crow

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    yes sir
    JudyH, Rebel - KGC and audigger53 like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    Something important to consider is the fact that the vein was near an overhang where Carson used poles to create a crude shelter. So that will be one of the things I am looking for, just such a rock overhang. Or perhaps where one has obviously collapsed. If there was indeed a trash pit where Carson threw all his tin cans, that would be something I could find with a metal detector as well.The major part of all this is just reaching the area in the first place. I wish I could just hire a helo to drop me off with my gear and pick me up in a week!

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    3584 times
    There may still be a descendant in Area I will PM you.

Crow

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    Thanks, all I need is names of current living relatives in the area and I will take it from there.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    Its curious, on Google Earth Pro I can make out what appears to be a well worn trail along Twilight Creek. This area may be more heavily traveled than I first imagined. It may be that a lot of hikers move through the area. I will check on that to see if that is the case. If not, it may simply be an old sheepherder trail that has become a game trail.

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    Yes, there is definitely a trail going up Twilight Creek, and it even goes over the top of the divide to the east at the top. I have not been able to locate it on any maps online this morning, but will check my NFS maps when I get home this evening. It is well defined and appears to have been frequently traveled. So maybe accessing this area will not be quite so difficult, but I imagine it will still be a workout!

us
    Jul 2012
    2470 times
    Well, I would post Google Earth Pro images to illustrate the trails, but for some reason T-net won't allow pdf's to be posted in threads. I will rescan them as jpg's and post.

I can email them to you crow if you will shoot me your email in a pm, and also anyone else who wants them. The presence of these trails is either from a lot of game using them, or from a lot of hikers.
    Last edited by UncleMatt; Mar 23, 2015 at 09:20 AM.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links