Your Favorite (and Most Accurate) Lost Treasure Book(s)!

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Good afternoon all-
I have a quick and simple question for all of you who wouldn't mind indulging me for just a minute:

What is/are your favorite lost treasure book(s) AND why??

I'm a young man with an infant daughter who's free time (little of it as I have!) usually involves reading lost treasure books, articles, etc. and enjoying my own version of "armchair" treasure hunting (though, one day in the not-too-distant future I WILL be putting boots to the ground). The issue I'm having lately is knowing which books are actually as close to the truth as the author could get and which ones are just fantastically written fiction. So, I turn to all of you for your insight. I would greatly appreciate any input you could spare.

Thank you in advance.

All the best-
J.A.

P.S. I apologize if this question has been asked in previous posts.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
"Treasure Coast Gold" by Paul Mcelroy, is an interesting read that is loosely based on some real events.
One of its "arguably accurate" major plot lines entails the story of a motel owning family in Indian Harbor Beach that temporarily discovered the intact hold of a 1715 wreck while inspecting their property during the eye of one of the huge hurricanes of the 30's or 40's moments before the entire barrier Island coast was submerged.
The whole story is very entertaining, and reads like an episode of "Magnum PI."

My earliest recollections entail a similarly plotted rumor from my childhood in the area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Great! Thanks el padron! I'll take a look.
All the best-
J.A.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello J.A.A While all treasure hunting books are an interesting read. One thing I and the trio I can safely say is not to too rely too much on what is presented in those books. Hunt down the facts and research much more from archival documents. You may be surprised when you see what happened and what is said in those books.

Crow

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I suggest looking online for a stack of "lost treasure" or the likes... magazines...
old ones and new...
buy a stack of em...
keep you intrigued in all areas... and busy for weeks.

I say this because I just listed a stack online... heh...

Just kidding :)

I do have few stacks laying around though :)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try 'The Legend Hunter' by Romain Wilhelmsen.

This chap actually found real gold, has the evidence and details the interesting stories. He would be in his 90s now and I believe he lives in your neck of the woods - Michigan.

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Crow, ARRC, IPUK-
Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate all of them!

Crow-
Your point is well taken. I wouldn't ever rely just on a book or article as the end all/be all of info....the reason for my query is just to accumulate a few sources to see what's out there. Should I decide to start looking further into a tale, I will definitely research as much as I can. Again, I greatly appreciate your advice!

Thanks again-
All the best to all of you!
J.A.

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
ARRC-
When you say that you've got "a few stacks laying around", are you being serious? And, if so, would you be willing to part with them? I would love to get my hands on some of the older mags that appear to be hard to find. If you would like to sell a few (several?), please feel free to PM me.
Either way, thanks again for your input.

All the best-
J.A.

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
IPUK-
I've never heard of that guy but look forward to researching his story! Maybe I can sit with him and get a firsthand account of the tale! How cool would that be?!
Thanks again! Your input is greatly appreciated.

All the best-
J.A.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp... problem is a few things... I have a few stacks... but have reserved the ones I have for certain reasons...
May go through a few and see what I have left to part with...
I am down to the best of the best...
Some are newer and have info I want... others are super rare... and others are even rarer.
I mean I have had some of these since the 70's...
You would be better off scoring some online... if you search certain titles you will score...
MOST older ones... are WAY better than the newer ones...
this is a quick picture of some of them... an idea of what you should be looking for...

DSC00844.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would really have to go through em... which would be an undertaking to say the least...

In other words I don't have a couple of piles laying around "ready" to "go" ...
I may in near future get to that point... but until then...

Look for someone selling a couple stacks like this online for a good price... and good shipping... (shipping media mail)...

DSC00847.JPG

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IPUK-
I've never heard of that guy but look forward to researching his story! Maybe I can sit with him and get a firsthand account of the tale! How cool would that be?!
Thanks again! Your input is greatly appreciated.

All the best-
J.A.

No problem J A.

Find what fascinates you and grabs your attention and then simply hoover up any and all the information and details you can!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Treasure Hunter , by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost Gold and Silver Mines of the Southwest by Conrotto is a classic.

These next 3 are good too, reasonably priced on Amazon.

Check out the recommended reading thread for more.

51AaAJLGnyL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

51bkAb2RoHL._SL500_SY380_.jpg

images.jpg

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Thank you all for your replies. I definitely plan on looking into some of these.
All the best!
J.A.

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Drizzledrone-
Thank you for your input. It's definitely appreciated and I'll absolutely look into it!
All the best-
J.A.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Good afternoon all-
I have a quick and simple question for all of you who wouldn't mind indulging me for just a minute:

What is/are your favorite lost treasure book(s) AND why??

I'm a young man with an infant daughter who's free time (little of it as I have!) usually involves reading lost treasure books, articles, etc. and enjoying my own version of "armchair" treasure hunting (though, one day in the not-too-distant future I WILL be putting boots to the ground). The issue I'm having lately is knowing which books are actually as close to the truth as the author could get and which ones are just fantastically written fiction. So, I turn to all of you for your insight. I would greatly appreciate any input you could spare.

Thank you in advance.

All the best-
J.A.

P.S. I apologize if this question has been asked in previous posts.

Your treasure is right there in your OP ' with an infant daughter '

Take care of that. My version is now almost finished at the best university in the universe. Treasure is not measured by $.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
J.A.A.- I would recommend finding a set of the US Treasure Atlas series by Thomas P. Terry. There are ten books in the set, covering all 50 states. Terry has some erroneous info and some duplications that he did not notice, as is understandable since his work is a compilation from numerous sources, but I have found that his listings are remarkably accurate in many cases.

As to a few books for your treasure library, I might add:

Dig Here!: Lost Mines & Buried Treasure of the Southwest
by Thomas Penfield

Lost Mines and Buried Treasures Along the Old Frontier
by John D Mitchell

Lost Mines Of The Great Southwest
by John D. Mitchell

Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver
by J. Frank Dobie

Coronado's Children: Tales of Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the Southwest
by J. Frank Dobie

The Lost Dutchman Gold Mine
by Sims Ely

Colorado's Lost Gold Mines and Buried Treasure
by Caroline Bancroft

-- that is just for starters but anyway I have found many treasure books to be surprisingly accurate, although you can not trust them to be on a par with the encyclopedia Brittanica.

I hope all is well with you amigo, sorry I did not see this thread earlier (seems I am having a hard time focusing on things these days!) but it was not deliberate.
your friend in Dakota,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread