The Techatticup Mine

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area known as Nelson was originally called Eldorado in 1775, by the Spaniards who made the original discoveries of gold in the area that is now Eldorado Canyon. A hundred years later the prospectors and miners of the day took over and established the notorious Techatticup Mine. Disagreements over ownership, management and labor disputes resulted in wanton killings so frequent as to be routine and ordinary. Despite the sinister reputation of the mine, it along with others in the town produced several million dollars in gold, silver, copper and lead.

Explored this site many years ago. techatticup.jpg t2.jpg tech.jpg Always wanted to check this place out so this was during the one time of many times we had been past this site that no one was around and the buildings were completely unoccupied, so a quick stop, no hard hats, just flashlights to check it out. Now the place is a tourist trap where they charge you to walk around the area.

Rick4570

Jun 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab 800 Equinox, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
Is that the mine that William Randolf Hearst had a vested interest in?
Rick

OP
OP
Las Vegas Bob

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
Is that the mine that William Randolf Hearst had a vested interest in?
Rick

Interesting question, I just researched it and found this, The Techatticup Mine was once owned by Senator George Hearst of California, father of William Randolph Hearst of publishing fame.

So I guess it would be a great probability that the father handed it down to his son.

Last edited:

Rick4570

Jun 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab 800 Equinox, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the eldorado cyn you are talking off the 95 just south of searchlight Nevada? OK that is the place. when I was there in1990 there was no one there and the the boat docks were high and dry.
Rick

Last edited:
OP
OP
Las Vegas Bob

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the eldorado cyn you are talking off the 95 just south of searchlight Nevada? OK that is the place. when I was there in1990 there was no one there and the the boat docks were high and dry.
Rick

That's the place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread