$2,000,000 Treasure Chest Hunt!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than five years ago, art collector and author Forrest Fenn decided to hide a treasure chest in the Rocky Mountains. Since then, he says tens of thousands of people have tried to find it.

The 84-year old millionaire, who lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico, left clues in his book, “The Thrill of the Chase” -- but so far, no one has been successful.

"I think it's out of control," Fenn told ABC Albuquerque affiliate KOAT, estimating that 30,000 people looked for the treasure last summer and that 50,000 may look for the treasure this summer.

Fenn has never revealed the value of the treasure chest -- which measures 10 inches by 10 inches -- but the New Mexico Tourism Department*estimates the value to be as much as $2 million.

Fenn did reveal that a few have come close to finding it -- some 200 feet away from the hidden spot.

The retired fighter pilot who was shot down twice in Vietnam*said in a video produced by the state tourism department that the idea to hide the treasure chest came to him after he was diagnosed in 1988 with terminal cancer.

Fenn told ABC News that the treasure includes 265 gold coins -- "mostly American eagles and double eagles, hundreds of gold nuggets, some as large as chicken eggs, ancient Chinese carved jade figures, Pre-Columbian gold animal artifacts, lots of rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and diamonds and other things."

Fenn said "numerous" people saw the treasure before he hid it, including New York Times best-selling writer Douglas Preston. Fenn told KOAT he is not impatient that people haven't found it.

"I wanted the monetary value to be a consideration for those who are looking for it, but mostly my motive was to get kids off the couch and away from their texting machines and out in the mountains," Fenn told KOAT.

Fenn left nine clues in a poem that was included in his book, he said.

"Somebody could find it tomorrow and it may not be found for a thousand years. I'm looking at the big picture. A lot of people who are searching for the treasure don't see it the same way I do. I would love if someone found it tomorrow but if nobody found it for a hundred years, that's okay with me too."

https://gma.yahoo.com/mexico-millio...est-164253443--abc-news-personal-finance.html

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love this one.
especially getting the kids off the couch and into the wilderness.
I have been researching this one for 2 years. have a few "possibles" but nothing yet that seems to scream at me "this is it".
His life and the poem are both fascinating and difficult to understand.

"where warm waters halt" is where it all begins.

any body have any suggestions "where warm waters halt"? lets team up and solve this one.
wr

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this one.
especially getting the kids off the couch and into the wilderness.
I have been researching this one for 2 years. have a few "possibles" but nothing yet that seems to scream at me "this is it".
His life and the poem are both fascinating and difficult to understand.

"where warm waters halt" is where it all begins.

any body have any suggestions "where warm waters halt"? lets team up and solve this one.
wr

Sounds like hot springs..

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok TH... Looks like someone came within 200 feet... which might as well be 2 inches...
And we know it wasn't you or I... unless you took a trip recently ...

Hmmm... SO... which one of you reading this thinks they are "the one" that "came close".

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok TH... Looks like someone came within 200 feet... which might as well be 2 inches...

Hmmm... SO... which one of you reading this thinks they are "the one" that "came close".
Since I haven't been in Colorado since 1998 I doubt it was me.[emoji3]

rschneider3

Greenie
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another very long thread on this subject on this site, take a look.

I have been interested in pursing this for the last year or so. Have not put much thought into the meaning of the poem. But living in Colorado and my love for the outdoors, I may have to take a couple of trips this summer.

In the mountains all the water is cold until it gets to a level area where it ccan slow down and be warmed by the sun, a lake is where many have started. I'm not sure a hot spring is the way to go here.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh... sounds almost like the perfect money making dealio...
SO...
I write a book...
I SAY that the book leads to 2 million in treasure...
Meanwhile I sell 12 million in books.

EVEN 5-6 million... and you have a great make money quick dealio...
After you make the first 2 million... go hide it. heh
:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is over 80, an art dealer, author and multi millionaire, I personally highly doubt that was his purpose....

rschneider3

Greenie
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is not packed full of junk like the other one is, so if any of you are in for some reasonable discussion about the treasure this would be a great place to start fresh.

"house of Brown"

Has to mean something, maybe something of historic value, a historic figures birthplace
Recently I have been researching native tribes in the area and if there are any interesting language translations. Manly searching for the word "Brown" within the many languages spoke by the native peoples of New Mexico.

Have not come up with any connections with the translations and areas north of Santa Fe...

Will keep looking.

P.S. northern Colorado resident.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazon is listing this book for $100.

If 10,000 copies are sold... that's- yeah 1 million.

20,000 copies... you get the idea.

Maybe the treasure is found treasure in book sales?

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How is it known someone was within 200'? Trail cam?

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
He is over 80, an art dealer, author and multi millionaire, I personally highly doubt that was his purpose....

Maybe that's how he got to be a millionaire - by being clever enough to know peoples gullibility and play on it?

Jus' sayin' tho - it could be legit.

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about clues 10 and 11, are they legit
Elev over 5000'
Not buried in a structure

Brown doesnt equal outhouse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it is worth, I found all 11 clues on line, you don't have to buy the book to get the clues.....

As far as writing the book for profit, I thought that was the purpose of writing books...

rschneider3

Greenie
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazon is listing this book for $100.

If 10,000 copies are sold... that's- yeah 1 million.

20,000 copies... you get the idea.

Maybe the treasure is found treasure in book sales?

Dude the book went on sale in 2012 for $35, demand has driven the price up. All profits going to charity, yea I get the idea.

Anything to add to the thread?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread