Sir Francis Drakes Spanish Map of Catalina Island, CA

Klems

Jul 12, 2012
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sir Francis Drake's Spanish Map of Catalina Island, CA

Ok so this is an interesting story and one I have not heard of before. I was searching through USC's library for old stories of Catalina Island and I came across the attached article.

It was written in 1911 and tells of the story of two men John Francis Drake Ryan and Andrew Bolton (Probably a false name) found or were looking for a treasure cache in a cave above Ben Weston's Landing (Now named Ben Weston's Beach).

Now I have read ALL the stories about treasure on Catalina Island from lost galleons to Samuel Prentiss. This article, however, strikes me as odd because they were not looking for financial assistance (as most searches at this time did), they were looking for a permit and that their find might be recognized.

From looking at imagery of the beach today, there certainly looks like a lagoon was formed behind the beach from the now dry creek. It fits the story so far.

Ben Weston Beach.jpg

Also, give it a read for the part about Drake. That story might not be that far off because he plundered several Spanish Galleons off the coast of Mexico. A lost Spanish map though?

I still have to do some more research and track down the clues, but I thought you guys might want to read this one and see if anyone had heard of this and had more information. It "feels" like a fantasy story, but I don't know.

Attachments

• Spanish Gold Lures Them.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
An interesting Santa Catalina item that may be new to some:

THE LOST MINES OF SANTA CATALINA. (From the "Overland Monthly", by permission) by J. M. GUINN Annual Publication of the Historical Society of Southern California Vol. 9, No. 1/2 (1912-1913), pp. 43-48

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread