Jul 2, 2015
Orange County NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George Washington's lost pocket watch

The story

During the revolution George Washington stayed in Suffern Ny and used the surrounding mountains as look out points to monitor British ship activity in the Hudson River

Legend has it Washington himself climbed to the top of Torne mountain, located in Harriman state park in Ramapo ny, and looking through his spyglass saw British ships in New York harbor. In an attempt to calculate the arrival of these ships Washington pulled out his pocket watch and clumsily dropped it into a crevice in the rock and was unable to retrieve it.

It had been said that the watch was covered in gold and may have been given to Washington by the Freemasons.

I've even been told that Washington mentions this in his journal entries during the war and expresses his loss for the valuable item.

If it's true that would be some amazing find if someone hasn't already found it...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The President?s Watch - Sea Island Life MagazineSea Island Life Magazine

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...q=george washington lost pocket watch&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=G...q=george washington lost pocket watch&f=false

Pawn shop owner showcases presidential
watch | Mississippi's Best Community Newspaper

There are a few things I found real quick that might lead you into another path or more info.Just dig! You'll find more!

There was an article online about a friend of Washington being a watch maker. I tried to find the article again, with no luck so far. I was researching a watch and ran into a lot of info online.

That would be a cool find and something to go after! You have a pretty good start with info to go off of. And if the story ends up false? So, what? You lost a little time!

The legend your talking about......
https://books.google.com/books?id=a... washington dropped his watch in rock&f=false

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I remember this; it was given to him by his brethren of his Lodge in Alexandria, Va. & had the Square & Compass on the front cover. GW was a surveyor (in his younger days) & was able to do this sort of thing.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you read the text in the last link nitric gave you, you will see it's not in Suffern.
I am familiar with that a location with that name very near suffern, and have been there recently for other colonial reasons (Sshhhh...don't tell anyone! lol)

However, you can't see NYC from there.

The book reference 'Tales and town of Northern New Jersey". you need to find that name in Jersey. Or what was used to be called that.

If true, it fell where he (or any of the other soldiers under him) couldn't get to it. That means swinging through the woods won't help you find it.
Rappelling equipment might.

Are you in Rockland Cty?

OP
OP
A

andrewt

Jul 2, 2015
Orange County NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ramapo was originally called new Hempstead ... Suffern falls within the area know as Ramapo ... I live on the border of orange and Rockland counties ... I haven't been to the top of the Torne but know the city can be seen from Perkins memorial drive in bear mtn 20 miles north of the Torne so figured it was possible ... I did have a newspaper article from the late 1800s that talked about this but can't seem to locate it now

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bear Mt is due south of the Torne I am referring to, blocking the view to NYC. In case we aren't talking about the same thing, there is a hill top just a mile or so north of Bear Mt called mount Torne.

Although George was in the area at times, he would not be up there monitoring British troops in NYC. It would be too far to respond. He was in place in Jesrey at times to monitor and respond to troop movement. A large part to protect Philadelphia. And a few miles due west of Manhattan into Jersey would be ideal. And it's called Mount Torne.
Washington had several battles in that area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_in_the_American_Revolution#Battle_of_Fort_Lee

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

andrewt

Jul 2, 2015
Orange County NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
A

andrewt

Jul 2, 2015
Orange County NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha yes ... Supposedly there is an underground stream that runs in the rock face and the drippin of water resembles that of a ticking clock

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was young in the 1950's , I lived across the street from the Ramapo River in Pompton Lakes, NJ, which happened to flood after the spring thaw, putting my home under water. The one claim to fame of the Revolution, was a plaque that stated that George Washington hung two deserters here. Hey, at least they weren't my Dutch ancestors from the New Amsterdam colony who were not that fond of the British, having forced them across the river into Jersey.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK. I got you.
This gives you what you need: Harriman Hiker: Harriman State Park and Beyond: Ramapo Torne

I'm just not convinced that George took a route through there. I'm aware of the trails he took up on the east side of the river, and that other Generals brought troops through. But what the heck. there's a lot I don't know! Sounds like a reason to go for a hike!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread