Exploring Ecuadors Sunken Wrecks

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exploring Ecuador's Sunken Wrecks

https://tribelr.com/posts/adventure-travel-exploring-ecuador-s-sunken-wrecks?location_id=2&nsl=1

Adventure Travel: Exploring Ecuador's Sunken Wrecks
By Mary Teresa Fowler September 15 2015 Shipwreck
Over the centuries, countless ships have been wrecked off the coast of Ecuador. Read on to learn more about the country's most significant shipwrecks, explore the fascinating stories, and discover their sunken treasures.

Each of Ecuador's shipwrecks has its own tale. Although they might have different beginnings, the stories never ended well -- in sunken ships and lost lives. The ancient vessels, however, are still part of real life adventure.

Modern Explorers

Interested adventurers continue to search for the location of these lost ships and contents. These modern day explorers include everyone from fun-loving thrill seekers to serious treasure hunters to well-researched, professional types who are fascinated with old ships, diving adventures, or historical data. They are all seeking the locations of several old Spanish galleon wrecks.

Everyone has their own plan, approach, and method of preparation for exploring sunken ships. They might pore over treasure maps in atlases, use Google Earth sea charting software, study scholarly research and maritime history, or gather together equipment like a hand-held diver magnetometer, a UW detector, and other underwater detectors. Each adventurer is thrilled with the opportunity to work off Ecuador's coast. All of them dream about surfacing the with a major find.

Photo Source: Ecuador & Galapagos Travel News - Sangay.com

Sunken Treasures

There is no shortage of sunken wrecks to explore in Ecuador. A single chart listed at least 78 shipwreck sites -- 30 in Galapagos, 27 in Manta, 13 in Esmeraldas, 4 in Guayas, 2 in Bahia de Caraquez, and 2 in Salinas. Of course, not every wreck is going to be a golden treasure trove. Yet without a doubt, these ships and their bounty are real treasures.

They allow us to get a glimpse and -- if we are lucky -- to hold part of a long-ago yesterday in our hands. The Spanish galleons were known to carry treasures like gold and silver, but they also brought general goods and supplies (peanuts, sweet potatoes, sugar cane, etc.).

Handle With Care

Whatever their treasure, adventurers everywhere have always been gripped by tales of golden galleons, stormy seas, fierce battles, and heroic characters. Contemporary treasure hunters should keep in mind, however, that safety must always be a priority. Exploring sunken ships is not meant to be a solitary pursuit.

Approach the adventure with care and caution, under knowledgeable guidance. Treat sport dives and charter trips as adventurous, but serious, pursuits. Follow any government regulations about shipwreck exploration or treasure hunting.

Ecuador's Shipwrecks

Capitana

Capitana Coin - Collectors Society
In 1654, the immense Capitana or Jesús María de la Limpia Concepción, known as Queen of the South Seas, was grounded on the reefs off Chanduy, Ecuador. The 130-foot long ship had a beam of 40 feet and weighed 1,150 tons. The Capitana was the flagship of the Viceroyalty of Peru and the South Sea Armada (an area covering Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Ecuador). The loss of this lead vessel was the biggest disaster ever for the Spanish South Seas (Pacific) Fleet.

As well as carrying 60 guns (44 bronze), it is believed that the ship carried treasure amounting to 10 million pesos. In fact, Capitana was dangerously overloaded with tons of treasure and 600 passengers. The ship rode deep in the water with its keel 24 feet below the surface. The Capitana was not located again until three centuries later when salvage began at the site.

Consolación
The Consolación (Isla del Muerto or Dead Man's Island shipwreck) sank in 1681 off Ecuador's Santa Clara Island. The original plan was for the ship to leave Lima's port of Callao and travel as part of the South Seas Fleet. In the end though, the Consolación was delayed and traveled alone.

At the Gulf of Guayaquil near modern-day Ecuador, the Consolación encountered English pirates, led by Bartholomew Sharpe, who caused the Spanish galleon to sink on the reef. Before the pirates could get to the ship, however, the crew set fire to the Consolación. Then they tried to escape to the nearby island -- but without success.

Sharpe and his men were never able to recover the ship's treasure. It stayed undisturbed until salvage attempts in recent years. The manifest of the Consolación stated the value of her registered cargo as at least 146,000 pesos. In addition, it was customary for ships of that era to carry significant contraband.

Leocadia
On November 16, 1800, the Leocadia struck a shoal and broke apart 100 yards from the beach at Punta Santa Elena, Ecuador. One hundred and forty lives were lost in the disaster. The ship had left from Paita, Peru, as part of a convoy of vessels bound for Panama. Within the next year, the Spanish had salvaged at least 90% of its registered treasure, but that still left 200,000 pesos for future explorers.

Sailing into Adventure

Just as the sailors of Ecuador's sunken ships were inspired to explore the New World, today's adventurers are driven to capture the spirit of exploration, pursue new passions, and follow their own dreams.

- See more at: https://tribelr.com/posts/adventure...ecks?location_id=2&nsl=1#sthash.4XzPfz8b.dpuf

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some years ago, my group rediscovered the 1654 Capitana and salvaged it from my vessel, the R/V Explorer. Other groups followed us but from what I've heard, none broke even on their investments. If you venture to Ecuador to find a galleon, a few items of advise I will offer: (1) Have as one of your partners a local lawyer well versed in maritime law; and if that lawyer is also 'close to' Navy brass, so much the better. (2) Make sure your permit also includes the ability to export your goodies tax free. (3) Know that the current law (which we helped develop) includes a 50/50 division. (4) How soon after your treasure is retrieved and then divided should be agree upon within the contract. (5) Determine 'how', 'by whom' and 'when' is your recovery going to be valued? (6) Your contact should also cover WHO is going to do the division and who will have 'first pick'. (7) Know that pirates of all sorts exist and they are tempted by everything; from your food supply to your retrieved goodies; even to your (permitted) site itself. If you go, go prepared. Know that sharks exists above and below the surface.
HH
Don.........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'll see what I can come up with after I finish another cup of coffee with my favorite enhancer
kahlua_small.jpg
then I'll check the Statute of Limitations to determine what I can offer up.
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ever heard of Cayos Cochinos (Menor yGrande)? These islands lie about in the center between Roatan andUtila islands and Trujillo (mainland) Honduras; due north of an areacalled Nueva Armenia.
Back in the day, Trujillo was once aport for Spanish galleons. There are stories of Spanish ships runningaground just outside of Puerto Castilla (north of Trujillo) andbetter stories that surround the gringo bar in Trujillo; at theairport—if it (they) are still there. But I digress......

The Cochinos is a setting for fantasticscuba diving but south of those islands the current from west to eastcan be strong enough to make vis about zero. In that area is a seamound that has historically caught many a vessel. The mound itselfhas a name which, at this Kahlula moment escapes me.

Are you familiar with 'nested cupweights'? They look like this:
Balances and Scales/Nesting 64-Troy Ounce Bullion Weight Set Open

They were used as a counter weight on ascale to measure the weight of gold. Groping in the sand, we foundseveral of these weight sets –complete down to the smallest piece,called the 'cap'.—along with other goodies (butno coins) yet that day was still a great adventure. For nearly two weeks, wesurveyed in the area, including the Bay Islands and on the east sideof Honduras, along the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] latitude (think Alligator Reef and the Serranilla Bank) but more onthat,perhaps, as some other time.
My coffee cup needs anotherfilling.
Don......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Between the Cochinos and Utila was a wreck report that we attempted to locate. We never found the wreck, but we did find a huge (think galleon) anchor. Back at the restaurant on the larger Hog Island, we bartered the local dive shop with the location of that anchor in exchange for four lobster dinners with drinks. The dive shop was pleased to have another dive site, and part of my crew and I were very satisfied with the dinner and drinks; at least what we could collectively remember.
Don.....

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drool Mac, continue.

Incidentally, There is a Manilla Galleon under yeah many ft of mud in the Bay of Banderas, Costa Rico It was leaking badly from it's return trip, and most of the crew were suffering from scurvy, they couldn't care less, until it was too late.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahh, Don Jose, you bait me with your Bay of Banderas offering.
I recall you inquiring several years ago about that story. Did anyone reply? I do recall checking Basil Ringrose's South Sea Waggoner (1682) and finding nothing there; so I concluded that if such vessel existed, in met it's end after 1682.
Don.........

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac my friend, I got that from a salvors / land treasure hunter personel records - Seems that some one was surveying the bay in a ship called "Cotopaxie" (?) and supposedly did their research after finding evidence ot it in the survey. Naturally I can't vouch for it's truth snce I have had many computer crashes since and I wouln't know how to contact my informent. The records and diary were in the 1920's and it is from my memory.

Incidentlly that bay supposedly has a river emptying into ii which accounts for the mud.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm interesting idea, but it strikes me as being in Costa rico However memories play tricks on one Mac.. Then again perhaps the originator of that diary could have been mistaken --many archives were not availaable in the 20's

What I do remember was that the ship was leaking badly and most of the crew were suffering from scurvy, many had died already, and that it didn't seem to be critical until it was too late.
w
Nother question arises, why wan't it salvaged when it first went down - they had excellent divers available ???? Perhaps too deep ??

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
The key word you used was 'almost'.
Allow me to venture a guess that with only one or more of the smaller pieces, not the larger ones, your nested cup set would be complete.
Where we found ours, one of my divers made a nice bonus by making a second dive to successfully find a 'cap'; the smallest piece to the set, one no larger than a pinkie fingernail. That relates to another item to add to (serious) marine treasure hunting projects; hire the best people, not the scuba newbies who only offer their cash as a means to gain a berth.
Don....

OP
OP
D

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would guess there remains much to be found still……..
Vaya con Dios y viva Christo Rey

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac, your are right, the itty bitty ones. I didn 't know that they had a cap or lid, seems logical. Learn somthing new every day. gracias.ya earned a cuppa coffee :coffee2:. ( you supply the K sweetner )

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecuador's Sunken Spanish Treasures
By Mary Teresa Fowler September 25 2015 Noaa shipwreck1
Today's treasure hunters are still fascinated with lost gold and jewels, including mined gems and plundered Inca riches, from Spanish shipwrecks off Ecuador's coast over three centuries ago. Many ships carrying wealth from the New World to Europe wrecked for a variety of reasons, such as jagged rocks, marauding pirates, freshwater influxes, and notoriously unfavorable prevailing wind direction. Certain estimates suggest that a third of Spanish ships might have never made it home.

Spanish Shipwrecks

Capitana ~ Photo: Cinabrio Blog
. Capitana

According to legend, pirate Thomas Stradling stacked a massive treasure (gold, silver, diamonds, and pearls) from the Capitana, a Spanish galleon which sank in 1654, into a cliff-cave near a creek and used large stones to cover the entrance. At the time of its sinking, the registry ship was carrying an authenticated treasure (worth at least between $3,000,000 and $5,000,000) northward to Panama.

The Capitana had taken on barrels and cases of registry gold and silver at Concepcion, Valparaiso, Arica, Callao, and Guayaquil. On the last leg of the voyage delivering the treasure to Panama, the ship's hull was ripped open on Chanduy Reef off Punta Santa Elena. The gigantic ship sank within minutes. Nearly everyone aboard lost their lives.

. San Juan de Salvamento

The San Juan de Salvamento sank in 1655 about 1/2 mile off Sean Island in Mandregan Bay. The ship carried $1,000,000 in gold and silver bullion.

. Santa Cruz

On December 16, 1680, the Spanish galleon Santa Cruz sank off the rocks known as Los Ahorcados, Punta Santa Elena. The ship carried $13,000,000 in treasure including silver plate and $30,000,000 in pieces-of-eight.

Spanish Galleon ~ Photo: World-Mysteries
. Santa Maria De La Consolacion

In 1681, six pirate ships closed in on the Spanish treasure ship, Santa Maria De La Consolacion, as it sailed up the Pacific coast of South America. The galleon was loaded down with silver, gold, and gems mined in Peru, or looted from the remnants of Inca treasure.

The year had seen an extreme rivalry between Spain and England. The ship's captain, Juan de Lerma, was aware of pirate activity in the surrounding waters and did not want to leave port. The Viceroy of Peru, however, ordered the ship to start its voyage. The plan was to meet up with the Spanish fleet before it left on its annual journey across the Atlantic.

Unfortunately, a battle occurred off Santa Clara when the Santa Maria encountered the infamous buccaneer Bartholomew Sharp. Santa Maria's Captain tried to ground the ship on Santa Clara Island, but the galleon hit a reef. Then the crew set the ship on fire to prevent the plunder of its treasure. The crew and passengers hoped to escape the wrath of the pirates, but none survived the attack. Ecuadorians still refer to the shipwreck site as "El Muerto" — the dead man.

At the time, the ship manifesto recorded its registered treasure as 146,000 pesos. Since Spanish galleons were also known to carry contraband, the actual treasure onboard though could be an even more significant amount.

. Unidentified Spanish Galleon

In 1684, an unidentified Spanish ship sank off Punta Santa Elena carrying $500,000 in treasure.

. San Jose

During 1763, the San Jose sank two miles offshore from the western point of Punta Santa Elena with $1,800,000 in gold and silver.

. Leocadia

On November 7, 1800, the Spanish Santa Leocadia, one of the most beautiful frigates of the Pacific, sailed from Paita, Peru, for Panama. Commanded by Antonio Barreda, the ship carried 2,100,000 pesos in registry gold and silver. On November 16, the Leocadia struck a rocky shoal 100 yards from the beach at Punta Santa Elena and broke into pieces. More than 140 lives were lost in the disaster.

The Spanish government also lost their means of protection and a substantial treasure. Early salvagers recovered 90% of the treasure, as well as several cannon. They left behind six bronze cannon, however, and over 200,000 pesos in gold and silver - worth at least $250,000 today.

Capitana ~ Piece of Eight ~ Photo: Ancient Resource

Spanish Coins

Part of the treasure trove on Spanish galleons could be silver coins - crude hammered coins referred to as cobs. The name comes from the Spanish phrase cabo de barra meaning the end of a bar. In order to create cobs, pieces were sliced off silver bars, trimmed to weight, and struck between crude dies. Each cob was a unique coin.

If the coinage did manage to reach Spain, it was remelted immediately and restruck as Spanish coins "ship money." Silver and gold was coined in the New World to more effectively monitor and control its shipment.

Cobs were minted from the early 1500s until mid-18th century. At that time, the mechanical press introduced modern milled coinage to the Spanish colonial mints. Cobs (and the later milled coins) were minted in gold denominations of 8, 4, 2, and 1 and 1/2 Escudos (Doubloons), and silver denominations of 8, 4, 2, 1, ½ and ¼ Reales (Pieces of Eight).

Since the cobs were produced from irregularly cut blanks of silver (planchets), they could be 3-4% underweight or - even occasionally - overweight, but they were hardly ever the ideal weight. Milled coinage (first Pillars, then the Bust series) were a more standardized weight. Of course, underweight treasure coins from wrecked ships can be a result of centuries of corrosion at the bottom of the sea.

Depending on the date of its sinking, a Spanish treasure wreck could contain crude cobs and milled coins. For example, the Jesus Maria de La Limpia Concepcion (La Capitana) carried silver cobs of both the old Shield and new Pillars design, as well as transitional and countermarked pieces. Modern day salvage of the Santa Maria de La Consolacion have recovered Spanish colonial pillars and waves types cobs from the Potosi mint.

- See more at: https://tribelr.com/posts/ecuador-s...ures?location_id=2&nsl=1#sthash.hPsaaGyW.dpuf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread