Treasure Mountain, CO - Lost Frenchmens Gold

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea but I am not sure what range they have. I am probably about 2 city blocks from the formation and using the camera zoom. I would hate to lose a drone.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I know for a fact that some rattlers are up at 7000 in Arizona. Southern slope and they were out sunning themselves in Jan. That may be natural weathering, have seen square blocks gone from wet weathering in the winter on a southern slope. You did say that is was taken from the south looking north. With wet winters, the southern slope freezes at night and then thaws during the3 day. That just breaks up rock formation like you can't believe until you see it over 5-10 years. I know it shocked us seeing it change year after year for 20 years worth of time at a place in Arizona. Good Luck and watch the over head rock.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Good idea but I am not sure what range they have. I am probably about 2 city blocks from the formation and using the camera zoom. I would hate to lose a drone.

Well ... guess you'll just have to scramble up there and have a peek. The terrain doesn't look at all that difficult - I'll bet there are plenty of go-arounds to get to that arch. Then you'll know for sure instead of wondering.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What caught my attention isn't this end of the rock formation initially. This end appears to have a bust carved out of it. It is directly on the south side of the formations. This picture isn't really doing it justice and it looks more like a human form from a distance. I highlighted some of the elements visible that caught my attention. (I might be barking up the wrong tree but its still a tree.)

View attachment 1460084

I used the red pen tool to highlight some things to look at. You have to look close though, the markings are not showing up like I hoped. You can see them on different areas if you zoom in on the picture.

Anyone want to go treasure hunting? LOL.

Patrick

I saw the 2 ( OOP = out of place from your description, ie., "top right" of rocks in first picture)....but missed the 3 completely, though I caught the three triangles w/ cross right above it ( are the triangles the point?). The profile on the left edge of the entire formation was the elephant in the room I referred to....the obvious eye catcher.

The number rock appears to have other marks as well, the long groove with small slashes above, below, and terminating at the right end. A map of sorts?

I'm lost on the other areas you outlined, got nothin'.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Someone who used to post on Tnet all the time operates drones almost 2 miles out. 2 city blocks is nothing. Get a DJI Phantom Pro and it will do everything you want.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caution people from succumbing to pareidolia when it comes to natural formations. Pareidolia is a psychological phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus (an image or a sound) by perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone who used to post on Tnet all the time operates drones almost 2 miles out. 2 city blocks is nothing. Get a DJI Phantom Pro and it will do everything you want.

Matt, thanks for that. I will check it out. You are, as always, awesome.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caution people from succumbing to pareidolia when it comes to natural formations. Pareidolia is a psychological phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus (an image or a sound) by perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists.

Ha, been there, done that, got a collection of rocks to prove it. LOL

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I posted a link to a map, earlier in the thread, that shows the region from Mississippi to Santa Fe.

Carte nouvelle de la partie de l'Ouest de la province de la Louisiane sur les observations et découvertes du Sieur Benard de la Harpe... / dressé par le Sr de Beauvilliers... | Gallica

I believe it was made during the 1740s but I'm not sure. Looking at this section of the map, you can see Santa Fe and the village of the Padouka Noirs to the northwest.

View attachment 1402188

Here's a rough translation of the Padouka noir caption. "Villages of the black Padoukas which the Spaniards read from gold by caravans to the Tiguas around these mountains." During one of the early French explorations of this region, the French explorers were told that Spanish miners would come to this village to trade with the Padoukas. The Spanish came from the mountains to the west where they were mining gold with Indian slaves. I've read one account that said La Harpe had this information and another that said Bourgmont. Maybe both had it, maybe others. This map mentions La Harpe, but most of the information on the map came from other sources because La Harpe wasn't in most of these places. Here's something curious about the map. If you look at the position of Santa Fe, you will see that it's at latitude 36 deg and half of a degree, I'm not sure if that's .5 of a degree or 30' out of 60. Anyway, on google earth, Santa Fe is at 35 deg 41' so the map is a degree off. I guess the little circle with the cross on it, shows the location of the Padouka village at 38 deg 30', if half of a degree on the map is 30'. If that location is off a full degree, like the Santa Fe location, that would put the village at 37 deg 30'. The latitude of Treasure Mountain (Citadel Mountain) is 37 deg 27'.

I posted this when I was researching my theory that the Spanish and French might have cooperated, with each other, to smuggle gold from Spanish territory to New France. Here are a couple of links that show evidence of early Spanish exploration in west Colorado.

https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/wes...cle_64bafa48-2043-11e8-9cc2-10604b9f7e7c.html

https://museumofwesternco.com/blog/museum-of-the-west/museum-west-curators-corner/

Platoro

Aug 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish & French Partnership

Our group has been researching and looking for this treasure since 2004. After spending much time in the San Luis Valley, Pagosa Springs, and South Fork areas, we concluded that the Spanish had to have known French soldiers and miners were in the area from roughly 1748-1756. Also, again 1799-1802. This is because of the relationships that both Spanish and the French had with the local Indians. Furthermore, it would have been impossible to have groups ranging from 200 - 350 men that would have not been discovered. We have read your posts in this forum. You clearly have done much research.

The article you eluded too about the pistol is no surprise. It is a smoking gun. Our research so far places Spanish Conquistadors in the San Luis Valley as early as 1519. Oddly enough, we also had a gentlemen show us a book that possibly puts Montezuma himself in the San Luis Valley as far north as Antonito! How awesome would it be if it some day could be proven!

I think, in the Citadel, Maynard explains the need for the French to leave the Summitville area in the winter. Treasure Mountain is next to Wolf Creek and Summitville is within a day or less hike. There is no way the French would have endured 450" averages of snow at those altitudes. I have hiked TM several times, and know the Wolf Creek Pass area very well. It gets a lot of snow. Taos and Sante Fe would have been the winter destinations of these men. Look forward to your response.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Our group has been researching and looking for this treasure since 2004. After spending much time in the San Luis Valley, Pagosa Springs, and South Fork areas, we concluded that the Spanish had to have known French soldiers and miners were in the area from roughly 1748-1756. Also, again 1799-1802. This is because of the relationships that both Spanish and the French had with the local Indians. Furthermore, it would have been impossible to have groups ranging from 200 - 350 men that would have not been discovered. We have read your posts in this forum. You clearly have done much research.

The article you eluded too about the pistol is no surprise. It is a smoking gun. Our research so far places Spanish Conquistadors in the San Luis Valley as early as 1519. Oddly enough, we also had a gentlemen show us a book that possibly puts Montezuma himself in the San Luis Valley as far north as Antonito! How awesome would it be if it some day could be proven!

I think, in the Citadel, Maynard explains the need for the French to leave the Summitville area in the winter. Treasure Mountain is next to Wolf Creek and Summitville is within a day or less hike. There is no way the French would have endured 450" averages of snow at those altitudes. I have hiked TM several times, and know the Wolf Creek Pass area very well. It gets a lot of snow. Taos and Sante Fe would have been the winter destinations of these men. Look forward to your response.

Are you alleging that Spaniards, and possibly the Aztec leader Montezuma, reached today's southern Colorado in 1519?

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

This is an interesting post. You have evidence that there was Spanish exploration in the San Luis Valley in 1519. That was about the time that Cortez invaded Mexico. Do you have archeological evidence or documentation? And yes, it would be something to have proof that Montezuma was in the valley. I'd like to here more about this if you can tell.

There are legends, from the Hochunk Tribe, that they came to the Great Lakes region from Mexico, where they were chased out by the Spanish. What route did they take and how many were there and did they bring anything with them? Maybe you can find the answers to these questions because I never could.

I agree that there was probably some interaction between the Spanish and the French and I speculate that it might have involved unauthorized mining and transportation of precious metals, but no concrete proof. Have you ever found any proof that a large expedition of 250-300 men ever left Fort Chartres in the mid 1700's or St. Louis in the early 1800's? If you have, please post information about it.

I've never been interested in the treasure, but I would like to find evidence of a French-Spanish operation.

The Treasure Mountain legend is something I would like to know more about. My biggest question is when was the legend started and by who. It seems that Maynard's books pretty much follow, almost word by word, a newspaper story that was published in the early 1900's. Have you ever talked to any of the locals about this legend and what do they think about it? Also, have you ever found anything about Captain Louis de Villemont?

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an interesting post. You have evidence that there was Spanish exploration in the San Luis Valley in 1519. That was about the time that Cortez invaded Mexico. Do you have archeological evidence or documentation? And yes, it would be something to have proof that Montezuma was in the valley. I'd like to here more about this if you can tell.

There are legends, from the Hochunk Tribe, that they came to the Great Lakes region from Mexico, where they were chased out by the Spanish. What route did they take and how many were there and did they bring anything with them? Maybe you can find the answers to these questions because I never could.

I agree that there was probably some interaction between the Spanish and the French and I speculate that it might have involved unauthorized mining and transportation of precious metals, but no concrete proof. Have you ever found any proof that a large expedition of 250-300 men ever left Fort Chartres in the mid 1700's or St. Louis in the early 1800's? If you have, please post information about it.

I've never been interested in the treasure, but I would like to find evidence of a French-Spanish operation.

The Treasure Mountain legend is something I would like to know more about. My biggest question is when was the legend started and by who. It seems that Maynard's books pretty much follow, almost word by word, a newspaper story that was published in the early 1900's. Have you ever talked to any of the locals about this legend and what do they think about it? Also, have you ever found anything about Captain Louis de Villemont?

The San Luis Valley is quite an intriguing place for many different reasons. Dog, I haven't reviewed all the posts in this thread (but I think I might to refresh my noggin), but one thing I've never gotten straight is why, when and by whom the valley first took on the name of a French Franciscan saint. I can't remember ever finding a source that explained it.

The French of course founded and named St. Louis MO in the mid-1700s, which establishes a possible French connection that maybe somehow even links Villemont during the same period. Then, we also know that this region was dominated by Franciscans, at least in Santa Fe and points north, and was settled by the Spanish - some even say much much earlier than the 18th century by crypto Jews. I know the place name may be irrelevant side issue to the story, but you know that I believe the selection of place names is often not a trifling matter.

Platoro

Aug 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your responses and questions. I am very excited to share information that we have as long as we can use information that you have between yourselves on this forum for our research. I must say that some of your research is very deep and very impressive. Perhaps the easiest way to to find common denominators is the differences in our approach. I'm hoping that the intersection of our efforts will help us both. We are looking for the treasure. And I have spent a lot of time speaking with locals in both those valleys and as far North as Leadville. I am certain from these conversations, and experiences, and intuition, that not only does portions of this gold remain buried somewhere, many people believe it and it has nothing to do with Maynard. I assure you of this. Most people that I have spoke with have never heard of The Citadel series.

The Citadel series is what is in question as far as I was concerned. Since I'm on the ground researching, like an amateur news reporter, I needed a smoking gun. I started with Maynard himself. I first spoke with him in the spring of 2013. He was on his way to Canada to sell some of his books. I found out but not only was he the author but he also was the publisher. Most of the books that he sold he peddled to small bookstores, to restaurants, gas stations. I interviewed small business owners who found Maynard to be good-hearted but eccentric. Most of the places he sold the books he got cash up front. He was on consignment with some of the other owners. Some of these people had done business with Maynard for many years and loved him. As you probably noticed, just like my writing, there were many grammatical errors nonetheless he kept writing. I spoke with him again right before his death in 2015. I also spoke with his wife after he died the next year. I had many questions about the origin of this Legend. But specifically, in the credits field, the stories of Henry Gestefield. Maynard even changed his last name spelling and even changed the name of the book that Henry had wrote admitting the word French. My friend Kim from Kansas discovered the sleight of hand while I was eating at a Mexican restaurant and I was blown away. You see, it wasn't just the articles for 1921, it was from Henry. Maynard referenced his book and the spelling of his name incorrectly. This was the clue and break we needed. Henry wrote a book called my 50-year FrenchTreasure Hunt. Maynard did give him credits but spelled the book and name incorrectly.

Platoro

Aug 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to the conversation with his wife, I explained the reason I called was to purchase any of his research, books, maps, ect. She kind of chuckled. She explained to me, that she was moving back home, I believe it was Wisconsin, and had thrown away all of his books and boxes of research. I simply couldn't believe it. I had to ask, "Did you believe in his stories?" She chuckled again, "Well at least he did." Of course if you research Maynard you will find out that he had been remarried and clearly his last wife did not have faith in him.

That's when we had to really search Henry and Karl von Mueller. Besides the 1921 articles, Maynard had a multitude of sources besides all the libraries and museums overseas. I have personally met the grandson in the Montroy family. I also went to all the graves in the LA Garita cemetery. Maynard must have been borderline genius because many of the things in the Citadel series, where exactly how he spelled it out. Of course these last two posts assume that you've read The Citadel series at least book 1 and book 3. I have many copies of these books in case you need some more. Good luck on finding Henry's book. I have a couple copies. But obviously they're so scarce I would not be able to sell them. However, I was able to go to the 5th floor of the Denver library Western civilization's department and research the book on different occasions until I actually got a couple copies on my own. Henry was the real deal.

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Platoro thanks for posting. I like many others here have read and have copies of Maynards Citadel series as well as other books he published. You will be presently surprised at how knowledgeable those who post here are regarding the history of the region and their ability to conduct research. I am in Southern California. If you need any research in this area regarding your pursuit send me a PM and I’ll see what I can dig up. If I may ask; did Karl Von Mueller have a personal connection with Maynard? If so, how well did they know one another?

Platoro

Aug 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes on PM. The point I alluded to Maynard was stories that were in the Citadel series. Maynard clearly fills in the blanks with his version of reality. Almost fiction at certain points. And yes, he does state this. However, there are so many things that he wrote about that were extremely accurate.

I find it hard to believe that Maynard had not met KVM at a younger age. No one single clue stands out.

But, I asked Maynard, in 2013, if he had ever spoke with Henry G. He said, "No, but I did speak with his oldest son." He also said, "His son did not believe his fathers account of the accuracy of where the gold had been buried. He was quick to discount Henry G's location of the treasure. YOU MUST READ Gestefield and look at his maps. Now for me, this is the same way I would have approached the Gestefield story. His only other (next) logical conclusion was KVM material or KVM himself. Maynard went on to say that he did not believe that the treasure was buried on or near the Continental Divide. He also said he did not believe that it was buried on Treasure Mountain. He had spent much time in the La Garita area and crossed the SLV in the area of Music Pass.

Well if your read Gestefield, you will notice that Maynard eludes to bones dug up on the Upper Colony Creeks only miles from Music Pass. Maynard got that from Gestfield. It was Gestefield that was working in the Wet mountains in 1910 who dug up what appeared to be bones of a French Soldier. The grave was found near a irrigation ditch that Gestefield apparently was working on as a young man. Simple common denominators, Maynard lived in Colorado, KVM lived in Colorado, Gestefield lived in Colorado. The years all overlap. I can't imagine that Maynard had not met KVM and went to Segundo himself. This is not a far stretch for me at all.

I did go to the Westcliff library on 2 different occasions to see if there were any stories on microfiche of this discovery. There were some articles missing from 1910. The librarian said it would be difficult to find the missing stories. I think even 1 full month was missing. That is a little off track, but I did do the research.

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
The San Luis Valley is quite an intriguing place for many different reasons. Dog, I haven't reviewed all the posts in this thread (but I think I might to refresh my noggin), but one thing I've never gotten straight is why, when and by whom the valley first took on the name of a French Franciscan saint. I can't remember ever finding a source that explained it.

The French of course founded and named St. Louis MO in the mid-1700s, which establishes a possible French connection that maybe somehow even links Villemont during the same period. Then, we also know that this region was dominated by Franciscans, at least in Santa Fe and points north, and was settled by the Spanish - some even say much much earlier than the 18th century by crypto Jews. I know the place name may be irrelevant side issue to the story, but you know that I believe the selection of place names is often not a trifling matter.

It could be that the crypto Jews gave the valley it's name. Saint Louis's mother was Blanche of Castille and it seems she was sympathetic toward them when her son wasn't.

In 1239, Blanche insisted on a fair hearing for the Jews, who were under threat by increasing Antisemitism in France. She presided over a formal disputation in the king's court. Louis insisted on the burning of the Talmud and other Jewish books, but Blanche promised Rabbi Yehiel of Paris, who spoke for the Jews, that he and his goods were under her protection.[SUP][11]

[/SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanche_of_Castile

Blanche is Blanca in Spanish and I think there is a treasure legend associated with a Blanca Peak close to the San Luis Valley.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread