what does it take to make a treasure hunting crew?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, belief in what you are doing, then compatability.

EX. one day while we were cutting a trail in the jungle, my partner just took of his Pack, plaed his machete in it's scabbard, lit a cigarete, then lay back on his pack and declared "It's no use Jose, , we are going to die here" - this with plenty of food in our packs?

How I reolvedthat is another story.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO CREW! I hunt alone.

You may think you know someone very well. Then you find something valuable, and they change completely. When it comes to treasure hunting, I trust very few people.

Mike

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understand you are the only one crazy enough to go looking for treasure so you will most likely hunt alone. Dont believe anything you hear and only half of what you can get on film. You will do fine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A treasure hunting crew? Depends on what you're looking for. Most people go alone. If you're looking at offshore like a Florida wreck, then a ton of money, a team of lawyers, a lot of contracts, and a lot of wasted time. You'll need a lot of time.

For gold prospecting. Much the same, probably less wasted time.

These days most people in the US who actually find something relatively big either 1) keep it quiet or 2) go public and pay the IRS the mandatory year-it-was-found tax. Like the couple in California who found that hoard of gold coins about a year ago.

In the UK, just hand it over to the gov't and you'll get something later.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep your mouth shut.

Go solo.

When the time comes, trust only someone who has previously proven themselves to you. Even then, you're potentially jeopardizing yourself.

In the US, if you go public, steel yourself for the possibility that everything you find will be taken from you.

OP
OP
A

abel_almighty

Greenie
Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically if i make a crew the main key is TRUST and if i go solo i have to BE QUIET?

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically if i make a crew the main key is TRUST and if i go solo i have to BE QUIET?

Hello Albel Almighty if it was only that easy.

To determine the need for a crew is dictated by the practical needs of the project at hand. The more people you have involved the more diverging opinion's and vested interests and potential problems you have to deal with.

While I have no doubt you as keen as mustard. Your questions betray your age and experience. Nothing wrong of course with that. As least your trying understand what it takes to walk in the world of treasure hunters. That in some respects is a good thing and highly admirable.

I am not technically a treasure hunter as I am archivist and historian, however I have worked with people who some people would claim or label them to be treasure hunters, although they always prefer to call themselves researchers. Their relationship between each other has been built up from many years of adventures all around the world. Even though they themselves of had their arguments between each other, they have a deep respect for each other. While they have their own lives they in respects only come together when they are up to mischief : When they have some viable project that meet all their exacting criteria on hand after years of preliminary research. They themselves have varied range of life skill sets they use. It is those varied skill sets they use to rely on each other. From that they have grown and learned off each other.

While the term "Treasure hunter" might seem exotic and romantic in ones perceptions. The truth of the matter in today's climate in political and academic circles, the word treasure hunter gives it is rather grubby image, of looter and plunder of history and environmental vandal of cultural heritage. So for one labeling oneself a treasure hunter is in some respects is counter productive if one intendeds to legally recover treasure through bureaucratic processes.

For many when one says they want to become a treasure hunter it is seem by many these days a little short of saying I want to be a thief, Under the current perceptions in many countries at present. Your Idea of becoming an archaeologist is noble one, as no doubt many here are in some respects have a little passion for the past at least. However for you to succeed in such a profession you will be alienated from the treasure hunting world if you follow the status quo set among the archaeological profession in which their opinion of treasure hunters in general currently influences policy making in governments.

Amy

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well in my mind, one pretty young ( 25- 35) female to carry my pack, one to hold my beer, and one to cook.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Captain Crunch cereal; IQ over 110; Specific area of expertise but good overall knowledge in order to communicate effectively with other team members; Good beverage alcohol; Sufficient funding; lots of weed; a fanatical drive to research and run down hundreds of blind ally leads; Did I mention Cap'n Crunch cereal?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nOW YER TALING jEF, SPECIALLY IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT OUR
AMY.

i MIGHT SAY ONE THING MORE, RELIABITY, never leave a project without accounting for every one. this is almost a fetish with me. plus complete accountability to any investor / s

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
yesterday, 05:43 PM #2
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:

First of all, belief in what you are doing, then compatability.

EX. one day while we were cutting a trail in the jungle, my partner just took of his Pack, plaed his machete in it's scabbard, lit a cigarete, then lay back on his pack and declared "It's no use Jose, , we are going to die here" - this with plenty of food in our packs?

How I reolvedthat is another story.
=================================
Please Don Jose, don't spoil our appetite and say you gave him a cup of NP's coffee ? :dontknow:

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Nicely put Amy, abel_almighty you would do well to listen to these highly credited and experienced people here offering their advice and knowledge. Some of these individuals have experienced "researching" that others only dream or read about. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread