jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Manning times. (Manning, Clarendon County, S.C.), 10 Oct. 1888.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg

The Manning times. (Manning, Clarendon County, S.C.) 1884-current, October 10, 1888, Image 4 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Question : Was New California near Galena , Illinois ?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jeff,
Thanks for your post; I had fun- and learned a little--doing the research (a lazy Saturday morning).
Some things caught my attention:
1.'New California' was probably in Illinois. Why? Because he could not have sailed his skiff from the west coast (California) to New Orleans; certainly not before the Panama Canal was built.

1. He found a chest of doubloons minted in 1526. I have a problem with that–on many levels.
  2. Doubloons were minted in Mexico, Peru, Nueva Granada and Spain...but...........
    a. The Viceroyalty of Nueva Granda did not exist before 1717
    b. Peru started minted coins AFTER Mexico City
    c. Mexico didn't start minting coins till about 1536–and they were not gold coins.
    d. Spain did mint doubloons (2 escudos) but not until 1535; yet his were dated 1526 (??)
  3. A one foot cubed block of gold would weigh about 1,200 pounds; and he found a full chest !!
    Are you still with me?
  4. The value of gold during that time was $20.67 per oz.
  5. Gold coins were 90% gold; ergo, each coin was worth about $18.60/oz.
  6. He received $390,000; the weigh of his coins was then about 20,968 troy oz.
  7. That weight in troy, calculates to about 1,438 in 'our' pounds.
Assuming for the moment that such coins COULD exist, what would that many gold coins dated 1526 be doing in Illinois?
I'll stop at this point and now anxiously await reading your next thread.
My logic and math may be off, so no need for posts in those regards; just having fun.
Don.........

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Doesn't matter if Your Math is Off, Your Probably Close.

The first thing I looked at before posting was that it was not printed on or near April 1st :laughing7:
I can understand the Word Dobloons being misused
if He found a chest of coins minted in 1526 & the only word that popped into his
or the reporters head for the story was Dobloons. It made for an Interesting article at the Time.

being able to Exaggerate seemed to be a prerequisite for Newspaper reporters Back then :laughing7:

& I suppose still is.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
Thanks for your post; I had fun- and learned a little--doing the research (a lazy Saturday morning).
Some things caught my attention:
1.'New California' was probably in Illinois. Why? Because he could not have sailed his skiff from the west coast (California) to New Orleans; certainly not before the Panama Canal was built.

1. He found a chest of doubloons minted in 1526. I have a problem with that–on many levels.
  2. Doubloons were minted in Mexico, Peru, Nueva Granada and Spain...but...........
    a. The Viceroyalty of Nueva Granda did not exist before 1717
    b. Peru started minted coins AFTER Mexico City
    c. Mexico didn't start minting coins till about 1536–and they were not gold coins.
    d. Spain did mint doubloons (2 escudos) but not until 1535; yet his were dated 1526 (??)
  3. A one foot cubed block of gold would weigh about 1,200 pounds; and he found a full chest !!
    Are you still with me?
  4. The value of gold during that time was $20.67 per oz.
  5. Gold coins were 90% gold; ergo, each coin was worth about $18.60/oz.
  6. He received $390,000; the weigh of his coins was then about 20,968 troy oz.
  7. That weight in troy, calculates to about 1,438 in 'our' pounds.
Assuming for the moment that such coins COULD exist, what would that many gold coins dated 1526 be doing in Illinois?
I'll stop at this point and now anxiously await reading your next thread.
My logic and math may be off, so no need for posts in those regards; just having fun.
Don.........

73610-The-Dude-White-Russian-perfect-LFNS_0.gif

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the history lesson Don- nothing ruins a good story like a few facts, eh?

I was wondering why DeSoto would carry cash.:icon_scratch:

A: Because credit card chip readers had not been invented yet.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anything is possible :dontknow:

My guess the thought Spanish put the thought Doubloons in their head.
Maybe they felt the word Doubloons would get their Readers attention too

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could he have mistook pieces of eight for escudos?

Actually this may be the most probable...
This happened all the time...

I cannot tell you how many old newspaper articles... old books... old blah blah blah I have read over the years that used the incorrect coinage name / type in the description...
Some... Even used two completely different coin names to describe (which I do not truly know) coinage(s).

Rarely was the word "Cob" used in any texts of any types... so... in other words...

It is totally possible theory.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So what happened to Shannon and the 2nd Irishman? Did Shannon kill the other one and then Stanhope knocked off Shannon? Or did he knock off both of them? That's a lot of gold to tempt someone.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Don is 100% right. Also, if I remember correctly, "old California and new California " were mythical places from a book published earlier in Europe. Something like "The Voyage or Adventures of Esplandin" Something like that. California was an island filled with women only. They were Amazons and they had vast sums of gold. Next, where would DeSoto or his menhave gotten their hands on a sum like that? Their little adventure was in the late 1530's early 1540's and unless they robbed the mint in Spain, they had very little cash with them and of course never needed it. I think this is pretty much a fairytalem but who knows. Guess that's how legends start. Believe what you wish though...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most tales are Based on Truth, but Exaggerated.
some more then Others. Just saying :laughing7:

cobypace

Greenie
Jan 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well not sure of the validity of this story. could be true if you don't include Illinois. although I have found de sotos treasure. as the story says, there are many many diamonds, relics, and I've found gold coins as well. what I tell you next may be disappointing. I'm not the first one to find this treasure. the house I reside in was built by someone who found it and knew to keep it a secret. however the house was built on the side of the mound that holds the cave where it's found at. this guy melted a lot of it down and used it with the brick to build this house. yes you heard right, and it makes one hell of an insulator too. underneath the slab consists of what I believe to be a holding spot. there's a void and several pieces of gem filled mica are pushing up from beneath the slab. my proof? lol. my proof is I don't know you guys and have no interest in bragging to those who have no regard in my day to day. oh yeah, there's these also. 20190218_194513.jpg 20190218_194508.jpg 20190218_194445.jpg

cobypace

Greenie
Jan 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is the person in questions gold coins. they're actually getting more legible now. I'm using vinegar cleaning solution. I may not be doing that the right way however at this point I could ruin 10 pieces and it wouldn't have an impact on what I've found. or re-foumd if you will. it's funny cause one of my items is a piece of a gold brick. and yes it actually has a fraction followed by the word brick all over it. I posted it when I first discovered this sight looking for direction. I was laughed at. people said it was a piece of a vase. what's funnier about that than anything is the fact that I just started doing this stuff. a newbie if you will. and I'm outshining these people who I'm sure are self proclaimed treasure aficionados at least. they lack the greatest tool a discoverer could ever posses. an open mind. with a purpose, an idea. context clues and being aware led me to this stuff. nothing more. all research was done after first apprehension of valuable pieces. nearly none of my peers saw any interest or value in it. how did it happen to me? that's a question I don't have to ponder. I know why. 20190219_154512.jpg 20190219_154528.jpg 20190219_154604.jpg 20190219_154839.jpg
20190219_154747.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread