Texas-Oklahoma border Red River Bandit Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Red River .... the Texas-Oklahoma border. In 1892, Lewis Franklin Palmore was appointed the first federal marshal in Indian Territory, the area that is now Oklahoma. One of his first encounters with criminals occurred two years later. Four men robbed the First National Bank in Bowie, Texas, and headed north, stopping for the night on the south bank of the flooded Red River.

That night Palmore received a telegram from the city marshal of Bowie informing him that the robbers were headed for Indian Territory. Palmore realized that the robbers would have to ford the flooded river at Rock Crossing. The next morning, when the robbers saw that a posse was approaching from the south, they plunged into the river at Rock Crossing and swam beside their horses. Palmore and two deputies waited on the other side and arrested them. In their saddlebags, Palmore found $18,000 in paper money, which had been divided evenly among them. Surprisingly, $10,000 in $20 gold pieces was nowhere to be found.

The robbers were taken to Fort Smith, Arkansas, where Judge Roy Parker conducted a trial and sentenced them to hang. With nooses around their necks, the robbers were seated on their horses, waiting for their execution. One of them leaned toward Palmore and told him that the gold coins had been hidden near the robbers' final campsite, on the south bank of the Red River. Although Palmore searched the area many times for the cache of coins, he never found it. He passed the story on to his son, Frank, who searched the site before metal detectors became popular.

Frank Palmore believes that to find the coins the treasure tracker must visualize the way the flooded river was in 1894. How high was the water? Where would the riverbanks have been? And where would the robbers have camped? Palmore says that a tracker might get help from local people who remember where Rock Crossing was. The coins will be found, Palmore writes, "somewhere between the bridge on Highway 81 and the mouth of the Little Wichita."
How to Hunt Buried Treasure (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1992)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, good job Gyps...
I found the article you posted on here linked off of Floyd Mann's July newsletter! ;) Heh...
I think I drive by that river area when I drive from Missouri down to my sister-in-law's house down in Texas?
Maybe I'll do some detectin' in the Fall.... ;D

Bran <><

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Gypsy, I don't have any idea where you got this story. Anyhow, it has some glaring faults and therefore I have to discount giving any credibility to it at all.
1. The Judge of the Indian Territory was Judge Issac Parker, not Roy Parker.
2. Palmore, if there was such a person, was not the first appointed U.S. Marshall of the Indian Territory.
3. Since the alleged crime of Bank Robbery occurred at Bowie, Texas, the trial would have been out of the Indian Territory jurisdiction and would have been held at Bowie.
4. Judge Issac Parker only hanged 79 men over his 21 years as a Judge, and every single one of them involved murder as a capital crime..... never did he hang a man or woman for just theft or robbery alone.

Too many holes here to accept this tale as factual.
Regards, Comanchero

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am pretty sure thats why this is listed under legends..... ;) :)

I try to find legends through internet,old books,maps and post them here for everyiones entertainment....whether they are true or not I dont know....if they have meat and I can verify the story I put into leads.......So that being said...here is the places that list this story or info.

This has him listed as a deputy and names Isaac Parker as the Judge
http://www.grahamleader.com/news/print.asp?id=11093&catid=9999

as does this one
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/TX-Treasure4.html

Palmore, Frank E. "Gold at Rock Crossing." Treasure, October 1989, 49-51.
http://www.coinworld.com/NewCollector/StateTreasures4.asp
http://www.rollspel.com/engelsk/western/eparker.htm

During the 21 years Isaac Parker was responsible for the law and order in this part of the United States he sentenced 168 men and four women to hang by the neck until they were dead.............
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/chronicles/v011/v011p0673.html
It is true, that during the twenty years from 1875 to 1895 over thirteen thousand criminal cases were docketed in his court. Seventy per cent, or more than nine thousand of the defendants in these cases, were convicted by a jury or entered pleas of guilty. Three hundred and forty-four of those accused were tried for capital offenses. One hundred and fifty-one were convicted and sentenced to be hanged. Eighty-three of these were actually executed, while the sentences of the majority of the balance were commuted by the President, usually to life imprisonment...........................

http://supreme.justia.com/us/162/1/case.html

But the fact upon which the state seems to lay most stress is that on the 24th day of February, 1879, congress passed an act entitled 'An act to create the Northern judicial district of the state of Texas, and to change the Eastern and Western judicial districts of said state, and to fix the time and place of holding courts in said districts.' 20 Stat. 318, c. 97. By the first section of that act it was provided 'that a judicial district is hereby created in the state of Texas, to be called the Northern judicial district of said state, and the territory embraced in the following-named counties, as now constituted, shall compose said district, namely.' Here follows a list of one hundred and ten counties, including all the recognized counties of Texas (except Red River and Bowie) that are immediately south of the line between the Indian Territory and Texas, as that line is defined on the above map of 1892.................................

Wilson, Steve. Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales. Norman, University of Oklahoma Press, 1976 and Jameson, W.C. Buried Treasure of Texas. Little Rock, Ark.: August House Publishers, Inc., 1991.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread