1873 Kingman/Canyon Station Stagecoach Robbery Questions

MADOG

Sep 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born and raised in Kingman and my grandfather helped build this town. I had heard about this story from my father after it was published in the 70's and my grandparents had never heard of it. Shortly after that story was published the mountains in that canyon were covered with people every single weekend. People were digging holes left and right to no avail. That entire area was a very popular place to hunt and target practice far prior to the article coming out and remained so until the mid to late 1980's or early 90's. The metal detecting crowd began to appear in the late 70's and I imagine still sneak in the back door to this day. There are so many bullets and garbage in that area it would take ten lifetimes to dig anything of value up, even if it really existed. I've hunted myself and had fun and was there only a few years ago, going the back way, but as people have stated, it is private property now. as a kid the remains of the original station were very visible but barely intact, along with the old orchard there, now it's completely gone without a trace. If the robbery had happened, the only place for a quick stash would have been in the wash just west of the old station, but given that much time, there's probably at least ten feet of sand that's been added over time. I take my hat off to you guys who really researched this, I did the same quite a few years ago and have pictures of the area. I studied day and night. I've come to the conclusion you have; that there MAY be some truth to it, but good luck finding it.

mswarbrick

Greenie
Jan 5, 2010
This whole thread has been a fascinating read! So sad to come to page 5 of 5 and there is no more. I hope you researchers who have done so much can do some more! This great story needs some sort of conclusion!

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
cudadan:

When you are researching 19th Century treasure and lost mine stories in newspapers, keep in mind that there were no wire services. It was common for papers to copy stories from other papers (generally with credit were it was due). A payroll or other stage robbery was big news, so almost any paper in the state would probably have one or more articles about it.

There are many newspaper files available on the Web. The Library of Congress site is a good place to begin.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

2.0: Encyclopedia of Stagecoach Robbery in Arizona by R. Michael Wilson (2003) begins in 1875. What does that say about a robbery that was supposed to have taken place in 1873? Perhaps that date is incorrect. Or "negative" research indicates it didn't happen?

Last edited:

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have ATVed Canyon Station many times until land was sold to now dead owner. He but up the gates
and would not let anyone enter ever. It was one of the best rides in this area.
Access can still be made through mineral park but it is no longer a through route.

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
This whole thread has been a fascinating read! So sad to come to page 5 of 5 and there is no more. I hope you researchers who have done so much can do some more! This great story needs some sort of conclusion!

One really good way to bring this story to a conclusion would be to have some access to the station area. It would be nice to be able to explore the station grounds with a metal detector and other stuff. Alas, the station grounds are private property! Another good way to bring this to a conclusion is to get access to the US Army robbery investigation & reports for 1873ish. Until then... no blood... no harm... no foul!

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would first go to the county seat and look at the land Deeds for the site. If it was Homesteaded then it is Private property. If it is State Range Land or Federal, then it is open to the public, especially if you declare you are a prospector and NOT a Treasure Hunter. Went through this back in the 80's with a Rancher. He became very nice after finding out we were prospectors, and not on his private (homesteaded) land.

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
audigger53, you can access the Mohave County property data by going to the website: Mohave County Government | Official website. Click on the Assessor's Office. I have examined the property known as Canyon Station, and it is privately owned. In order to maintain some privacy, I have not disclosed an address (lot number, etc) in my posts. It is not impossible to discover this information, I choose not to disclose it to the general public. You are free to do what you think is right...

TMomjian

Jan 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold fever

audigger53, you can access the Mohave County property data by going to the website: Mohave County Government | Official website. Click on the Assessor's Office. I have examined the property known as Canyon Station, and it is privately owned. In order to maintain some privacy, I have not disclosed an address (lot number, etc) in my posts. It is not impossible to discover this information, I choose not to disclose it to the general public. You are free to do what you think is right...

Hello Arizona bob... I’m new to this whole thing... I first heard this story about 5 years ago from a friend and it’s intrigued me ever since... however in the last few months I’ve finally made the decision to get serious about it... how’s your search coming along... I’ve been reading most of your posts and I’m amazed at the amount of research you’ve accomplished... do you have any tips you’re willing to share?

DustinAZ2001

Jun 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I have gained some interest as well. In the past I heard about the story of how it went down. Thankfully I found a place where people have collaborated in their finds and research on this particular hunt. I'm interested in finding a way to gain access to the Canyon Station to look at what remains of this place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread