Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello marticus

George Farwell wrote a book Rejoice in Freedom, that tells of his journey to search for treasure and he claims in book after searching Pinacki and finding no treasurethey went to Tepoto. In his book he was very critical of George Hamilton Snowball. There was no love lost between them.

He was just an investor hired to come along and work in recovering the alleged treasure. Strange enough Tepoto has some thing very strange. A sink hole cave in the middle of the atoll. In the late 1980'searly 90's a local native lived there half crazy looking for gold, he was apparently one of descendants of one of 1930 expedition that stayed in Tahiti and had a family there..Since that time a few people have searched there.Some french and Italians in 1997 searched there after the Australian in 1994.

I heard the following vessel was charted in 2015 very made a trip there to explore the underwater cave which acts like a giant siphon. The crews was very tight lipped in Tahiti. Some one in the states was funding it. Rumored to be a company from the united states connected to big name movie producer.

View attachment 1477235

One of crew talked they were there to film whales for a 3-d movie. However the ship was diverted to Teopto? Perhaps to explore this underwater cave? The atoll has a small pass only big enough for a small boat not a ship. There is no safe anchorage off the atolls. see the entrance below.

View attachment 1477236

Mal.
Hey Mal.

Great stuff mate.i had presumed this Farwell to just be another Journo reporting on the story. But it would seem it runs alot deeper then that. Ill see if i can dig up a copy of farwells book for a read. Im also half wondering if the crazed native was Hamilton. Since i cant really find any ancestry records on Hamilton here in Aus. In his book he depicts pictures of his home in tahiti.
So it could be possible that he continued to search, gold obsessed once that fever takes over its cost alot of men their lives.
I was also reading up on that James fellow. He beleives he has an updated list of the pisco church treasure. Not the huge amount of 14ts of gold. But a more smaller and diverse list of treasure. Ill see if i can find it again.

Marticus

Sent from my SM-G935F using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
marticus

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
James Williamsons list.

287 large ingots of gold,,,,,,,
* *37 rough fingers of gold,,,,,*
* *130 large ingots of silver,,,,
* *413 rough fingers of silver,,,,
* *5 medium sized gold crucifixes,
* *2 of which are studded with*
* *rubies representing the blood of*
* *Jesus Christ,,,,,,,,,,,
* *1 gold dagger with a jade handle
* *studded with emeralds,,,,,,,
* *1 very large elaborate silver jewish*
* *type of candlestick with a lot of candle*
* *heads called a hannukka,,,,,,,,
* *4 small reinforced boxes of spanish*
* *coin,,,,,,,
* *various golden Inca or Aztec figurines
* *and such,,,,,,,,and a small reinforced*
* *box of gold and silver jewelry

Hamiltons list

*14 tons gold ingots

********7 great golden candlesticks, studded with jewels

********38 long diamond necklaces

********A quantity of jeweled rings

********A quantity of jeweled bracelets

********A quantity of jeweled crucifixes

********1 chest uncut stones

********1 chest Spanish doubloons

********Various other jewels and ornaments

OP
OP
marticus

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
To me, without any real looking into it. James's depiction seems to be a more accurate depiction of a treasure the jesuits would of had in that region.

14ts of gold ingots transported by long boat to the island by 4 men. Thats quite alot of back and forth just for that part of the story. If we be generous. Maybe the men could load 400-500kg per trip to the island. Thats 28 average trips in gold.

OP
OP
marticus

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Manged to get my hands on a copy of rejoice in freedom. Should be here in a week or 2

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marticus

I personal place not much faith in the alleged contents of this treasure as both sources was actively trying to get backing for their project. So in essence most likely there is some exaggeration in the size of the treasure.

interesting they was following Howe's map. Howe went to Pinacki. Another book fairy lands of South seas tells the story of Howe's search there for 7 years at Pinacki. Tepoto only became under scrutiny by Hamiltion and Co as the schooner captain said the island was the right shape and similar to Pinacki. Hamilton never mentioned Tepoto in his book. Farwell did as he in short never had much faith the treasure actually ever was there. Hamilton was prone to exaggerate.

Here is a map version Howe's search of Pinacki

/ Pinacki map.jpg

Time once again I leave port in few hours....

Mal

OP
OP
marticus

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
marticus

I personal place not much faith in the alleged contents of this treasure as both sources was actively trying to get backing for their project. So in essence most likely there is some exaggeration in the size of the treasure.

interesting they was following Howe's map. Howe went to Pinacki. Another book fairy lands of South seas tells the story of Howe's search there for 7 years at Pinacki. Tepoto only became under scrutiny by Hamiltion and Co as the schooner captain said the island was the right shape and similar to Pinacki. Hamilton never mentioned Tepoto in his book. Farwell did as he in short never had much faith the treasure actually ever was there. Hamilton was prone to exaggerate.

Here is a map version Howe's search of Pinacki

/ View attachment 1477925

Time once again I leave port in few hours....

Mal
Hola Mal.

I beleive your spot on there. What better way to sell your story then to attach a large amount of wealth tied to it. Im sure the amount was dramaticly increased to spur investors and such.
But the church the Pisco being a jesuit built church and thr jesuits also being incontrol of vast amounts of wealth being transported back to spain. There would have to he some records somewhere. The spanish liked to keep 3 place records for each ship and such they had in their possession. So a document might exist somewhere.
You seem to know Howe. Hamiltons and Farwells stories well. You must have been able to track down copies for yourself. I did also track down another book im wating on. Norvills treasure seekers treasury. Which has some further references and versions to go along with it. With you being so close to peru. Have you heard of amy stories or tales being told of something like this happening in the Ecuadorian War of Independence.

Safe travels
Marticus

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Martiicus

By no means an expert on this story

I fluked a copy of treasure of Tuamotu....apparently a rare book to get hold of and the book rejoice in Freedom was a little more easy to get. It seems George Hamiltion to me was a little to taken away with the fantasy of it all. It appears much of earlier part of book is fiction the Jesuit treasure part. George Farwell book was rather move down to earth he devoted just a chapter or so it..By the time he wrote about it most of the 1930's expedition members were dead or beyond caring... In all their trip was failure.

Farwell did not need to BS about it like George Hamilton did. Farwell criticized Hamilton for talking to reporters and that is why the silly 14 tons of gold story broke in 1934. Yet the truth of the matter there was libel suit in England and accusations of fraud. Even so they had won in their favor but it left them broke. George Hamiltion returned to UK but he was so broke he only got as far as San Fransisco. In desperation he sold the story to reported to get himself back to England. In the end they were tracing truths and half truths and down right lies from Howe. Howe disappeared? Why because it was mentioned if his claims ( he claimed he found the treasure ) was proven not to be the truth they was going to hold him liable if the expedition was a failure.

In the end it was typical 1930's ill organized expedition based on hearsay. In Tahiti today most people do not believe in the story anymore. I will answer more questions next time I visit as duty calls.

Cheers Mal

Last edited:
OP
OP
marticus

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello Mal.
Very correct there. For there being many several thousands of copys made. Getting your hands on one is no easy task. I have only found 3 in Aus. Those 3 are in major librarys in different cities here in Aus. Luckily 1 is within reach of me where i was able to photograph a copy. Except my phone died with 40 pages left to complete the story..so another trip out is in the cards. Least then i can fill in the gaps in the story. So yea i would say you fluked that quite well indeed.
All the best mate. Take care. Safe travels. Talk soon
Marticus

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Marticus

I got one in a book shop in Valparaiso. Mostly books written in Spanish, but there is section with books in English.

In regards to the South American war of Independence Ecuador part that was in 1821 to 1822. I do not know any treasure stories directly connected to Ecuadorian Independence.. As for Jesuits in regards to what they had before the expulsion. When they returned to South America in 1814 they had to start again but with no way near the wealth they had previously. I just cannot see the Jesuits being involved? when you read Farwell he makes no bones about it and names the island.

In regards to James Williams he claimed he got information from Kolapi Utime. Kolapi might of been a deck hand at the time years ago when James met him.. As now I believe he is captain himself. He may of been one of the crew members on a vessel called the Sea-belle in 1993-4 Charted by a descendant of Hamilton?

Tahiti Lost Treasure

Was one or more of the trio you mention involved in this is anyone guess? I was never privy to such a information.

Mal

OP
OP
marticus

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mal.

Only reason i mentioned about the war. Was the Loot of lima story. My original thought was perhaps the storys where all of the same treasure just different versions. Kind of like that kids game chinese whispers.

Well crow did make mention of recovering something in the area. But at the time i made no real notice as i wasnt aware of the pisco story. But was well aware of trade routes and such. So it was no real suprise to me something was found. But J.A.A made mention a few posts back that Crow. Part of the trio was the decendent of Hamilton. I know they are currently all in and around the french polynesia islands. Another mentioned something along the lines of $400m. Could be related or could just be a wreck located in the waters. Thats about all i know. Very secretive that bunch. Only let out what they want and rest is riddles.

Well i think we are making some decent head way towards this legend.

The only real reason i mention the jesuit connection is the treasure. Thinking it may have been a hand down or in a bank from decades prior. Out of the box style thinking sort of thing.

Trying to track down the origin of the treasure. If that can be confirmed to have existed. Then it gives credit to the legend.

OP
OP
marticus

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello marticus

Forgive me if it does your head in. There seems a few conspiracy theorists making big claims that a great lost treasure existed...... Some where in the Pacific?

"The Great Lost Treasure"... - Cipher Mysteries

Review of "Anson's Gold" by George Edmunds... - Cipher Mysteries

Maybe you could ask your friend about it, if your still in contact with him?

Mal
Hello Mal.

I dropped a message to my associate. Not sure if they may answer as it may to a bit personal to them and they choose not to answer. But we shall see.
Im still waiting on my book copies to arrive. But i have started looking at charts and maps.
I have come across those sites before and i have been told by decent treasure hunters to dismiss them.
Tracking pirates or pirate ships is almost impossible. Aside from the queen anns revenge. There hasnt been much luck in identifing a pirate wreck. Only recently john chatterton discovered the bannister wreck. Which i think is the first legit pirate wreck discovered.

When my books come ill see if i can pick up on anything in regards to the 3 men arriving in Aus. I have alot of research and archivel sites that i have access too. Which should come up with any leads if there is any. I have access to ancestry also which could help track down answers.

Tracking the deaths of the men who died around the gold fields could be difficult since alot of men where buried in unmarked and documented graves though.

Slowly making some head way.

Marticus

OP
OP
marticus

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
From my associate.
You cant make money off shadows. Gear is gone

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Interesting how everyone talks about what went on but no one actually checks if what they have read actually occurred.

That is pulling the records and checking history. A simple check of the dates/alleged facts reveal how much is fabrication people just repeat and repeat and repeat.

It all worked back up to the 1990s until archives came on line, you could say anything and no one could prove you wrong one way or the other.

Uncle Horro says it's all real because Uncle Horro was there when it all happened so because it's old it must be real.

Two things: Hamilton and the rest were sent on a wild goose chase by a guy who was telling anyone who listened he found the gold but saying two different locations at the same time. You can see the records of that nowadays.

And the reason their informant disappeared was one of the group was a barrister and a contractual agreement was made with the informant that he would take them to the gold: as that was impossible he did the bunk until they all stopped looking for him. So all the hype about his mysterious disappearance by retellers of this story just reveals how much research they actually did: none. His last known location is recorded on his death certificate as he died of old age.

Anyone from that time and the 'diary of Uncle Horro' will only reflect what they were told or heard.

And that was not they had been taken, or why, or what went wrong because they didn't know. Or able to check the records as you can do now.

Where they went to look? No secret either. It is in all the reports, Hiti and Tuanake. But you need to read these, not just rely on Treasurenet 'I read it once in a 1970s Lost Treasures magazine' scuttlebutt to do the work.

If you are wondering, here is Hamilton's famous 'Pear shaped pool', it's on Tuanake. He didn't have a 'Snowball's' chance in hell (it's an in joke).

The Pear Shaped Pool.jpg

Of course you should check, just not believe it because it was posted on Treasurenet (page 216 of Hamilton's book shows it so you can verify it).

And what was in it? Well, Uncle Horro never found out did he.....

Last edited:

M. A. Nazario

Greenie
Jun 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting how everyone talks about what went on but no one actually checks if what they have read actually occurred.

That is pulling the records and checking history. A simple check of the dates/alleged facts reveal how much is fabrication people just repeat and repeat and repeat.

It all worked back up to the 1990s until archives came on line, you could say anything and no one could prove you wrong one way or the other.

Uncle Horro says it's all real because Uncle Horro was there when it all happened so because it's old it must be real.

Two things: Hamilton and the rest were sent on a wild goose chase by a guy who was telling anyone who listened he found the gold but saying two different locations at the same time. You can see the records of that nowadays.

And the reason their informant disappeared was one of the group was a barrister and a contractual agreement was made with the informant that he would take them to the gold: as that was impossible he did the bunk until they all stopped looking for him. So all the hype about his mysterious disappearance by retellers of this story just reveals how much research they actually did: none. His last known location is recorded on his death certificate as he died of old age.

Anyone from that time and the 'diary of Uncle Horro' will only reflect what they were told or heard.

And that was not they had been taken, or why, or what went wrong because they didn't know. Or able to check the records as you can do now.

Where they went to look? No secret either. It is in all the reports, Hiti and Tuanake. But you need to read these, not just rely on Treasurenet 'I read it once in a 1970s Lost Treasures magazine' scuttlebutt to do the work.

If you are wondering, here is Hamilton's famous 'Pear shaped pool', it's on Tuanake. He didn't have a 'Snowball's' chance in hell (it's an in joke).

View attachment 1492172

Of course you should check, just not believe it because it was posted on Treasurenet (page 216 of Hamilton's book shows it so you can verify it).

And what was in it? Well, Uncle Horro never found out did he.....
There doesn't seem to be a pass on Tuanake; how can you be certain?

M. A. Nazario

Greenie
Jun 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certain of what? That photo in colour is from a video taken by an expedition to Hamilton's 'Pear shaped pool'.

You are looking at it.
Sorry, I did not phrase my question right. I meant only to point out that Tuanake has no pass, so I don’t see how Hamilton could have thought that it could be the island of treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread