Do not get scamed!!- All new people read this

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
If someone comes up to you and says they have a map to vast treasures and proceed to tell you this mindblowing tale of the old world adventure and stacks of bullion lining the cave,if only he had the capital. I mean it is a sure thing. He tells you that he likes you and wants to let you in on the deal. So he does you a FAVOR,and Lets you buy a share in on this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Every month I get email from people who bought the story,that some TOTAL STRANGER told them. There are usually about five variations in this story.

That is like me deciding to go up to the first person I see and asking for a $10,000 loan with no collateral.

Let me tell you a secret. I eat and sleep treasure. This is my profession and lifestile.

Any pro will tell you. If I have a treasure map,no one is ever going to know about it. If I am working a good lead,I tell no one. Okay, I do sometimes talk about the long shots,but not the verified lead that I consider a high probability return. No, the good ones never leave my mind.

I will also tell you that I have found and opened a cave,with a pick. It is long back breaking work. It takes days and days of hard work, but you know what? I did not have a dime at that time. I was totally broke. It does not require investing any capital to swing a pick.
Remember if I have a hot lead you will never know it.

Anyone that requires your money to start or finish a treasure hunt is either a lier,a cheat,or a fool.

The lier's are easy to spot,just listen to them. Make notes on the details,then check the details. Let them babble and then hit them with hard questions,then watch them ramble on and change the subject.

The cheats just want your money they will do or say anything to get it. They rarely have any facts right.

The fools are the people who don't have a clue,but do not realize they don't have a clue. They are the ones that think they are going to find a treasure over the weekend and still be able to watch the game on Sunday night

Anyone who asks you for money for a treasure project is thinking of your money,and how they can take it.

Lier's,cheats,and fools,are no different. They are the filthyest slime of the earth.

If someone asks for money for a treasure project,tell them to get out of your face.

Ericwt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get scams in my email all the time. last night a lottery in Amsterdam This morning another NIGERIAN scam

OP
OP
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Yes,But this scam was not through email. It was in person. People who have greedy minds are often very easy for the scammer. We tell your kids to not talk to strangers,and then we hand another Stranger our bank account.

What's wrong with this picture. I can't believe people still fall for this. People on this board have been suckered by this recently.

Pirate-Chris: No thank you. I have a Remote Sensing group I work with for multi spectral imaging. So no I wont be in the market for those photos.

I have Area 51 photos, got them 8 years ago from a Russian Company.

Ericwt

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
ericwt:
Hey!
What you intially said,? ?:) in your starting statement, you weren't talking about people who sell these fancy LRLs/MFDs were you?? ?:o
You know, words like scam,? :o? dirty rotten finks ? :-\ ? ? & etc...
?? ::) Sure sounds like them critters!? ?>:(

OP
OP
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
They are the same breed. But I am starting to believe these people deserve to be ripped off.

They are consumed by greed. But they would never admit it. O no they are victims,they say. I am starting to wounder.

So instead of listening with an open mind,they lash out at me.

I have been more open than anyone about my foolish mistakes. Yes,I have been scammed in my life. More than I want to admit.

But I take responsibility for my goofs.

Ericwt

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I guess there are a lot of scams out there.I would have them investigated by the FBI or IRS and see if they have any records of tresaures being actually found in the past or any news reports ...Because usually there is big news about big stuff of treasures and such..These days you can't get away with anything that easy anymore and everyone seems to know before you do!Just look whats happenning to those guys who got the big bucks now the goverment or some type of historical association is trying to take the selvage rights from them so they could not keep the stuff they found.I read that somewhere it is something else.I just tell them not interested and please do not send anymore information.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Jeff of Pa:
Jeff!
Since you opened this "Pandora's Box"... ::)
How good are you about/on computers?
I mean,
I am getting those , "Send me your bank acct numbers and password and I'll share 120 million dollars" with you , SCAMS!
I get two or three a day!
I have been forewarding each to another!
But!
This takes way, too much time!
As, I have to send "As" letter (scam) to "B" and? then "Bs" to "A" and then to "Cs" address & so on!
It works,
But!? It is taking way, too much time!
:D ??? ;D ??? ::) ???
Do you, OR! Anyone!,? know if there's a way to automatically send/forward them back to different scam artists!
Just about all of them are coming from Africa.
Offering millions in unused oil or construction funds!
SURE!

Larry KS

Mar 20, 2003
Heck, I forward the ones I receive to the agency that monitors them. Gov spam listing at:

[email protected]

I figure they get paid to keep track of these scams, so I just help them out.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
Jeff of Pa:
Jeff!
I mean,
I am getting those , "Send me your bank acct numbers and password and I'll share 120 million dollars" with you , SCAMS!
But!
As, I have to send "As" letter (scam) to "B" and? then "Bs" to "A" and then to "Cs" address & so on!
It works,
But!? It is taking way, too much time!
Do you, OR! Anyone!,? know if there's a way to automatically send/forward them back to different scam artists!
SURE!
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

LOL Cptbil ; I never thought about that. sorry but I'm just a cut above computer illiterate. still learning every day.
? ? ? I started out asking them to pack the money In a Box & send it to me, this only seemed to get my address on many more lists
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Then I started telling them, I'd forward their email to the FBI, so the proper authorities could help them out, this just increased the number of emails even more.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Then I started forwarding them to the "So Called" Proper authorities, & my Emails increased to twice as many a day, so I stoped.
? ? ? ? ? now I just delete them, between 3 & 6? a day :(? ?. if you find a way , let me know

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
When I was having problems with MSN, I got a scam letter about needing my bank account. they said send them the message and they'd handle it cause this has to do with there Business. I'd send them to the Attorney Generals Office for fastest results.

Jacko

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
SAY! JEFF:
Maybe some nice? ?;D? "Computer Hacker"? ? ?:o? would write up? :-*? ?a good Virus ? ? :o? that we could send back to them in/as the "Reply" ?
Or!
A program to get their address,? ?::) then we could go over and? Express ? ?>:( our dissatisfaction with them!? :P

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Larry-- If you ever make out this way let me know and we'll go looking for some gold. I belong to a prospecting club and I also, metal detect for nuggets.

Jacko

T

Tuttle

cptbil said:
Jeff of Pa:
Jeff!
I mean,
But!
As, I have to send "As" letter (scam) to "B" and then "Bs" to "A" and then to "Cs" address & so on!
It works,
But! It is taking way, too much time!
Do you, OR! Anyone!, know if there's a way to automatically send/forward them back to different scam artists!
SURE!

Cptbil,

If you are using an email browsers such as Outlook, you can define what actions to take when certain mail is received. I will give an example using Outlook since this is one of the most used email browsers out there.

In Outlook there are 2 pre-defined categories for unwanted mail, Junk Mail and Adult Content Senders. You can activate these categories, define the action to take when junk mail or adult content are received and then add unwanted emails sent to you to either of these categories. After that all mail sent from the added email account will be moved, highlighted or deleted as you have defined.

Additionally, Outlook (and other email browsers) have the ability to set up a "rules" on how to handle specific mail in specific ways, such as, all mail from a certain contact list is moved into a folder as its received. Multiple actions can be preformed on incoming mail that meet the search criteria, example would be to "search" for any mail containing Nigeria in the body of the email or an email from a specified domain ([email protected]) and then forward a copy of the email to the FBI email abuse link then delete the mail completely, so you never have to be bothered to read it.

In Outlook you can activate the provided junk and adult content filters by going to the Tools Menu and choose Organize from the menu. Choose Junk Mail from the left sidebar menu and set up the action you want preformed. I have mine sent to move all junk/adult into the Deleted Items folder, and have set the Deleted Items folder to empty once I close Outlook.

The Rules Wizard that lets you have greater flexibly on how mail is handled is also on the Tools Menu and is a page by page wizard that helps you create complex actions to perform on emails.

I hope this helps some. I know it sounds complex but once its set up it's easy to add someone to the "Dead Mail Tells No Tales" category and not be bothered with reading and deleting emails on a case by case basis.

Should you (or anyone) like person to person assistance drop me an email (promise I won't add anyone to the Junk email ;) ) leave me your phone number and I will be glad to give you a call back. My email is [email protected]

I have been in I.T. (professional sounding verbage for a computer geek) for 24 years. Plus if that doesn't qualify me, I'm a computer geek who is actually named Fred (the ultimate guarantee of geekdom). ;D

Cheers,

Fred (aka Tuttle)

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Dang Cpt Bill that's a good idea, forwarding the scammers to the scammers..

I work in the computer biz, data security and administration (for the man), and to keep momma happy.
(if she ain't happy, no ones happy!!)

Phishing crap I sent to the spoof/fraud admins for the particular organization so they are aware someone if phishing for their accounts
so they can investigate the phishing against their organization..
Scammers like the Kumbata Oil company in Western Botwanas I've been dumping in the trash. My SPAM blocker generally kills the SCAMMERs because of the keywords..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread