NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Providence. Is that nassau or port royal?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
marticus:

I believe New Providence is the island in the Bahamas on which Nassau is located. I am not familiar with Port Royal being called Providence.

In this case, however, based on it being a New York newspaper, I believe it is Providence, RI - Rhode Island. A tiny state with a large pirate history.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Captain Kidd used to live on Wall Street in NY. There are still a lot of Pirate's there, ha ha.

Bill

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
marticus:

I believe New Providence is the island in the Bahamas on which Nassau is located. I am not familiar with Port Royal being called Providence.

In this case, however, based on it being a New York newspaper, I believe it is Providence, RI - Rhode Island. A tiny state with a large pirate history.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
Thanks bookaroo..i had a feeling it was the old nassau area. I Wouldnt be suprises if there was alot more still hidden caches around the place

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the story to be fabricated because if you had searched diligently for a treasure would you leave it buried and recover it later? Not likely to be true.

Also the dates on the coins rules out it being Kid's Treasure as he was hung around 1701.

Last edited:

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the story to be fabricated because if you had searched diligently for a treasure would you leave it buried and recover it later? Not likely to be true.

Also the dates on the coins rules out it being Kid's Treasure as he was hung around 1701.

Exactly. May 23rd 1701. If I knew where a treasure was that I was going to dig up later, I sure would not say a word to anyone.

Bill

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

The article ends with the observation that it was not Capt. Kidd's treasure. Every pirate plunder story on the East Coast seems, sooner or later, to have name attached to it - like outlaw caves in Missouri were always used as a hideout by Jesse James. Poor guy seems to have never slept under a roof in his life.

As to the truth of the story - that's rather the point, now isn't it?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread