jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burlington weekly free press. (Burlington, Vt.), 15 March 1894.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Burlington weekly free press. (Burlington, Vt.) 1866-1928, March 15, 1894, Page 2, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They probably found it.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe the story for one minute. Back in the mid-1880's to early 1900's a lot of those stories were placed in the newspapers as fillers, just to fill the pages and give readers excitement of treasure to be found to up the papers sales. Need more information before I can believe these stories happened. Just checked out another story here on treasurenet yesterday of a kettle of $50,000 in gold being buried in Cartersville, Georgia. False. Just another filler.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried, treasure, buried, treasure treasure.........love it though.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll never understand why someone who isn't willing to concede the Possibility of Treasure Existing ,
Even signs up for a treasure Hunting Forum :unhappysmiley:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff for the interesting post.

As an observation many gravitate to more famous ones and debate over them tirelessly. While each to his own. I love these obscure stories.

While as stated previously I am no treasure hunter. I do enjoy the stories especially history behind such stories. Perhaps one day when I retire from the sea.Yet many will most likely turn out to be indeed just a stories. It would be foolhardy to believe everything said in any story is true, and yet it would be foolhardy to write them off completely with out researching them first either?

The newspaper gives a few leads. In fact the whale back ship design was a new one to me. So I learned a bit more maritime history on a type of vessel. I have never heard of the whale back vessels before, so if anything I have learned some thing. It appears the ship existed? and it belonged to Mac Dougall line she was called Joseph l, Colby Perhaps there is some archive that that has the names of the alleged "captain Buckham" connected to this ship picture below.

UP_digCenter_AK01b350_Whaleback_Joseph_L._Colby.jpg

That said I do not say its a smoking gun. But a little digging into may identify the people in the story that might lead to some thing more interesting..... Mcleod family of ST Paul Annapolis might be found in the 1890-1900 census their address and the local Presbyterian church and perhaps even the minister at the time of these advents. Was Joseph l, Colby sailing between Boston and Cuba as mentioned?

That is what absolutely fantastic about the United states you are spoiled for choice with a wonderful history of people, places and events that may lead to buried treasure. If only people care to research.

Mal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread