Pastor Searching For Forrest Fenn Treasure Missing

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This New Mexican desert is very unforgiving to a untrained person. Even the folks who know it get sideways with it. I wish him the best, but the heat lately is not good for anyone more than a few hours.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We can always hope that he will be found and be okay. Perhaps the idea of Mr Fenn's treasure should be put aside. It would be better if he simply used it for a good cause than having people put themselves in danger. Although I believe that with his age and physical condition Mr Fenn did not put it far from a usable road.

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Mr Fenn maybe didn't realize that he has created a monster and that many people will lose their way and their lives for his box of dead metal. Like gluing a hundred dollar bill in the middle of the freeway. It's all fun and games till...

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly this will probably not be the last instance of this sort of thing.

If it was simple to find someone would have found it by now .......the longer it goes unfound the deeper people will go to try and find it.

CaptainChance

Aug 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ and Worldwide
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Mr Fenn maybe didn't realize that he has created a monster and that many people will lose their way and their lives for his box of dead metal. Like gluing a hundred dollar bill in the middle of the freeway. It's all fun and games till...

Yes very true. At some point, a family member is going to take Fenn to court and at the least, he's going to have to prove there is a treasure. I've always doubted the claim as a grand hoax because he hates the Government (BLM - USFS) and would never want them to have any percentage of the find. This will live on long after Fenn is gone and will take more lives. It's time to fess up -- but that would only cause him serious problems.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't see where Fenn did anything wrong. People have been dying in the pursuit of riches for as long as there have been riches. Look at all the people who died trying to locate the LDM. People have free will. You do something stupid, for any reason, and you can die out there. Blaming the person who told you of a possible treasure is a poor excuse for being careless.
Jim

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Snowflakes and SJW's now infesting treasure hunting websites too? FYI, Fenn did nothing culpable, nor does he owe anyone proof of his claims. His legal liabilities (none) have been discussed thoroughly in an earlier TNet thread and on other websites.

Anyone "victimized" by searching for this prize, hiking the Superstitions seeking the Lost Dutchman, diving for Spanish treasure ships or hunting a thousand other lost mines and hidden treasures is acting on his own volition. Same goes for folks hiking wilderness trails, rock climbing, sky-diving, surfing, motorcycle riding and any number of other potentially hazardous activities. Hopefully, Mr Wallace will be located alive. If not, condolences to his family are in order. That said, I for one don't wish to live my life in a nanny state - I prefer to make my own decisions and accept their consequences.

CaptainChance

Aug 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ and Worldwide
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snowflakes and SJW's now infesting treasure hunting websites too? FYI, Fenn did nothing culpable, nor does he owe anyone proof of his claims. His legal liabilities (none) have been discussed thoroughly in an earlier TNet thread and on other websites.

Anyone "victimized" by searching for this prize, hiking the Superstitions seeking the Lost Dutchman, diving for Spanish treasure ships or hunting a thousand other lost mines and hidden treasures is acting on his own volition. Same goes for folks hiking wilderness trails, rock climbing, sky-diving, surfing, motorcycle riding and any number of other potentially hazardous activities. Hopefully, Mr Wallace will be located alive. If not, condolences to his family are in order. That said, I for one don't wish to live my life in a nanny state - I prefer to make my own decisions and accept their consequences.

I certainly did not post to be insulted.

Creating a fake treasure hunt is wrong. The other treasure quests you mention are based on fact or history, excluding the Lost Dutchman which was also a fake. The geology of that specific region does not support such mineral deposits. I have no idea how you tie normal sporting activities into this discussion? You are right about people seeking established treasures, like Spanish treasure.

If I toss a wad of money out the window on a busy freeway, I am certainly responsible if anyone is killed trying to pick it up. There is zero evidence that Fenn actually planted a treasure anywhere. It's a publicity stunt, designed to sell books. No one on this group or anywhere can prove it was actually planted. He can go out tomorrow and place it somewhere and claim it was there all this time.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I certainly did not post to be insulted.

Creating a fake treasure hunt is wrong. The other treasure quests you mention are based on fact or history, excluding the Lost Dutchman which was also a fake. The geology of that specific region does not support such mineral deposits. I have no idea how you tie normal sporting activities into this discussion? You are right about people seeking established treasures, like Spanish treasure.

If I toss a wad of money out the window on a busy freeway, I am certainly responsible if anyone is killed trying to pick it up. There is zero evidence that Fenn actually planted a treasure anywhere. It's a publicity stunt, designed to sell books. No one on this group or anywhere can prove it was actually planted. He can go out tomorrow and place it somewhere and claim it was there all this time.

Seems to me the ball is in your court. You can justify your outrage just as soon as you can prove that Fenn's treasure placement was a hoax. The fact that nobody has claimed the prize is certainly not proof that it doesn't exist. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the treasure was located and quietly recovered years ago. Then what would you do - sue the finder for not publicizing his good fortune?

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather find a treasure where the actors are long dead and the legends are long lived, not be a puppet on a string of clues from a whiley old coyote. When he passes on, then it gets a little more interesting. Artists are only appreciated after their dead, maybe con artists too. Just spouting off, I'm in no position to hunt in the areas he talks about. Maybe I would if I was nearer, but I'd keep my perspective. Still, he got people off the couch, and lost in the wilderness. Give a drink to a social drinker, he's fine, give a drink to an alcoholic, adios. Hope they find that man alive and well. How does Forrest sleep at night?

CaptainChance

Aug 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ and Worldwide
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me the ball is in your court. You can justify your outrage just as soon as you can prove that Fenn's treasure placement was a hoax. The fact that nobody has claimed the prize is certainly not proof that it doesn't exist. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the treasure was located and quietly recovered years ago. Then what would you do - sue the finder for not publicizing his good fortune?

Thanks for the civil response.

I'm just saying that if someone plants a "confirmed" hidden treasure, I think it's a great idea. There is no liability because it actually exists. If people do stupid things, you are right, it's on them. But if someone "says" they hid a treasure, and the clues happen to be in a book that sells for over $60.00, then it's a big red flag. If it's a joke he should come clean. If it's been found, and he knows it, he should tell everyone. He is a smart guy and it would have been quite easy for him to have had sealed legal papers drawn up confirming the existence / placement of a genuine treasure. He could have photographed the contents. This entire set-up is full of holes. Regardless of liability, any deaths or injuries associated with this stunt should haunt him.

I hope they find this guy alive. If not, we will see where this goes. I seriously doubt Fenn will let the death of someone just slide by. It's time to come clean. I recall his previous actions following the first treasure hunter death: http://www.westword.com/news/forres...ays-ex-of-man-who-died-looking-for-it-8240120

I asked my wife (who is an attorney) about this, and she says he could be taken to "civil" court for any number of reasons. This is not to say that any legal actions would be successful, but he could be forced to "prove" a "treasure" exists."

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to think...

Perhaps he found the treasure and is sitting on some exotic beach with an umbrella drink in a coconut shell.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the civil response.

I'm just saying that if someone plants a "confirmed" hidden treasure, I think it's a great idea. There is no liability because it actually exists. If people do stupid things, you are right, it's on them. But if someone "says" they hid a treasure, and the clues happen to be in a book that sells for over $60.00, then it's a big red flag. If it's a joke he should come clean. If it's been found, and he knows it, he should tell everyone. He is a smart guy and it would have been quite easy for him to have had sealed legal papers drawn up confirming the existence / placement of a genuine treasure. He could have photographed the contents. This entire set-up is full of holes. Regardless of liability, any deaths or injuries associated with this stunt should haunt him.

I hope they find this guy alive. If not, we will see where this goes. I seriously doubt Fenn will let the death of someone just slide by. It's time to come clean.
Well, one person has already died searching for Fenn's treasure. That was last year, if I remember right. I think he was searching along the San Juan river. I never heard that Fenn commented on his death.
Jim

CaptainChance

Aug 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ and Worldwide
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, one person has already died searching for Fenn's treasure. That was last year, if I remember right. I think he was searching along the San Juan river. I never heard that Fenn commented on his death.
Jim

He did comment when people began digging up old outhouses looking for clues re: "Under the brown." He made it clear it was not under an old poop pile. Maybe the old bottles people found were actually worth something!

For what it's worth, and slightly off topic, I have not spent a lot of time researching this, I believe the person who thinks outside the box will find the treasure if it exists. He did say once that when it's found "the location will be obvious."

X marks the spot.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Fenn has stated many times the "safety first" rule applies searching for his treasure. He placed the treasure where any child or elderly person can reach it without fear of risking life or limb. That precludes mountain tops, cliff sides and bottoms of raging rivers.

Also, Fenn is no fool. Like most successful businessmen he is likely "lawyered up" in this endeavor. States have laws governing "contests" , "prizes" have to be certified..i.e. confirmed to exist. I imagine the treasure itself is insured to protect it from various scenarios like being kidnapped etc

The families of persons who have died searching for his treasure have an extremely difficult road to challenging Fenn for culpability in their loved one's deaths.

Edit: just saw on news few moments ago the pastor was found dead in the river several miles downstream from where his backpack & climbing gear :(

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have one location, not far from me, in Yellowstone Park, which I think meets all the clues. My buddy and I went up there a couple of years ago, but didn't have time to walk in and look. And, we haven't made time since either. Neither of us needs the money right now, so if we're right, it'll keep. In the meantime, it's fun reading people's ideas on where it is.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread