Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most modern treasure finders on land tend to keep it secret. Why pay all claimants that would come out of the woodwork, let alone government lions share of taxes. The water is reported because they can not be camouflaged on the open sea.

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hola Wrecka Franklin makes an excellent point.

From a ordinary sea captain with no experience at all in treasure hunting other than an interest in such people I have encountered who are fascinating.

There is an effort by professional treasure hunters to keep low profile as much as possible. To void the protest lobby... either spouting cultural patrimony or environmental concerns as well as would be claimants that would tie up any successful project for years in the courts.... No need to show and tell for professionals their in it for the money. The come they go no questions asked...

The two encounters I had with professional treasure hunters in capacity as a Master Mariner. One was on behalf of Insurance company on a shipwreck off cape horn. It received very little press. Was only need to know basis. You have a role and that is that.... Money in the bank. The second was even more secretive. They came they went in front of 5th biggest armed forces in world, borrowed military assets without the relevant government knowing what was going on? Leaving them so embarrassed they are in denial it never happened...A big slap in the face with no way to prosecute without the owness of proof.

So most of the one you get hear about are the ones that has failed due to various reasons. Most famous one of late was Nazi treasure train debacle.

Mal

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Stories can be found researching, when we come across them we add them in our lost treasure books. Most are by accident.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Wrecka: There are many fine books about salvaging sunken treasure. Successful land recoveries haven't gotten as much press. There is the classic by A. Hyatt Verill "They Found Gold! The Story of Successful Treasure Hunts." Rio Grande published a trade paperback reprint several years ago. A personal favorite - because the author and publisher saw the same void you perceived - is "Empty Money Pits; Or, Texas Treasure Finds" by the late, great Ed Bartholomew (writing under his own name - he usually used "Jesse (Ed) Rascoe" for his treasure books. Now, many of his excellent works include stories of treasure finds but this entire work is devoted to that subject. And there is a great deal to be learned from these accounts. KvonM included many examples in his "Treasure Hunter's Manuals #6" and "#7," in "Sudden Wealth" and there are countless examples in his first-rate "Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting."

Many people contend we learn more from failure than from success. I suggest that depends on what is being studied and who is doing the studying. One of the problems is that folks tend to confuse brains with a bull market. Luck always plays a major role. Personally, however, I think the careful examination of success is under-rated - after all, isn't that what we want to duplicate?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions