jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Great Falls leader. (Great Falls, Mont.), 26 Nov. 1889.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=34

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Wow! Very clear and easy to read. Thank you!

Is there a western state that doesn't have a "Lost Cabin Mine?"

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I would say the most famous "Lost Cabin Mine" is in Wyoming.

Lost Cabin Mine WY Map Detail.jpg
- Official State Highway Map of Wyoming [ND]

"The True Story of the Lost Cabin Mine," by Hans Lonegren (Swedish American Historical Society Quarterly, April 2001 - Vol. 52, No. 2) is a first-rate article about it. It is well written and well-documented. The map above (see the area in the blue rectangle) looms large in the piece.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
It appears some folks have a hard time keeping track of their cabins! After some brief research I have found references to a "Lost Cabin Mine" in:

Wyoming - Noted above. Our own Oroblanco wrote an interesting piece on that yarn ("Oroblanco's New Cabin" - 09-14-2013). I found a reference to Jesse Rascoe's Western Treasures Lost and Found that I am going to run down. Also I will post a piece from the Wyoming Historical Society (1919) that is interesting.

California -

Utah -
This story may be intermingled with the much more famous Lost Rhoads.

Oregon - Interesting that a search for this one lead to the "discovery" of Crater Lake. Propert calls this story "The Wilson Brothers' Lost Cabin Mine" a provides several references to it - a few from the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. His first two citations - Hubert Howe Bancroft and W.W. Fidler, showed no color - perhaps the others will pan out.

Colorado -

South Dakota - In the Black Hills

Idaho - Again, Propert provides several references.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
It appears some folks have a hard time keeping track of their cabins! After some brief research I have found references to a "Lost Cabin Mine" in:

Wyoming - Noted above. Our own Oroblanco wrote an interesting piece on that yarn ("Oroblanco's New Cabin" - 09-14-2013). I found a reference to Jesse Rascoe's Western Treasures Lost and Found that I am going to run down. Also I will post a piece from the Wyoming Historical Society (1919) that is interesting.

California -

Utah -
This story may be intermingled with the much more famous Lost Rhoads.

Oregon - Interesting that a search for this one lead to the "discovery" of Crater Lake. Propert calls this story "The Wilson Brothers' Lost Cabin Mine" a provides several references to it - a few from the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. His first two citations - Hubert Howe Bancroft and W.W. Fidler, showed no color - perhaps the others will pan out.

Colorado -

South Dakota - In the Black Hills

Idaho - Again, Propert provides several references.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Wyoming has two, the famous one in the Bighorns and the much less famous one in the NW part of the Black Hills a stone cabin, which is fairly well attested in period documents yet remains lost. It is possible this cabin still stands.

Please do continue, did not mean to get off track there.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Oroblanco:

You are on track here!

Am I in error with the South Dakota "Black Hills" reference? That should be Wyoming?

It would have been most helpful if those folks back in the day hadn't run out of names.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 6,255 newspaper pages to check and am up to 601. Saving articles and links. There appears to be a pattern to the Wyoming reports. It is very interesting material.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Legends - Oregon

1907 Oregon Lost Cabin Treasure. Check out the Oregon Legends Forum. Not as old as some of the earlier Lost Cabin's but I had fun researching this one since I grew up in the area. Thanks to Jeff of pa for posting it.

Dirt

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say the most famous "Lost Cabin Mine" is in Wyoming.

View attachment 1603672
- Official State Highway Map of Wyoming [ND]

"The True Story of the Lost Cabin Mine," by Hans Lonegren (Swedish American Historical Society Quarterly, April 2001 - Vol. 52, No. 2) is a first-rate article about it. It is well written and well-documented. The map above (see the area in the blue rectangle) looms large in the piece.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

How big was this article an estimate is fine.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The article title you quote is an exact match for an old newspaper article I found.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
There are two main locations for the same mine, Big Horns, Wind River (Shoshoni region) and then a third surfaced near Thermopolis.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been sometime since a book was released on it, what is out there now is a novel.

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola amigos

How many of these lost cabin mines are not lost but abandoned? There must be thousands of abandoned cabins across the united states as well as old abandoned mines. Not because Indian hostility but from the simple fact that the gold ran out?

Mal

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Oroblanco:

You are on track here!

Am I in error with the South Dakota "Black Hills" reference? That should be Wyoming?

It would have been most helpful if those folks back in the day hadn't run out of names.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

No, you are not mistaken the Black Hills are 3/4 in South Dakota, 1/4 in Wyoming, the NW extension of the range. The lost STONE cabin mine of Wyoming is somewhere in that part of the Black Hills, the SD lost cabin mine is actually somewhere near (within walking distance) of Deadwood, found and lost repeatedly, last seen about 1891.

Please do continue;
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Around 100 Wyoming lost cabin articles collected so far. The dates they made the newspapers we'll be helpful in presenting the story. Then there are several main versions of the story, of course differing in some aspect. Like I posted earlier elsewhere 3,500 papers to go over and I will organize it. Today I even found a version I never seen before inscriptions carved on tablets!

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
No, you are not mistaken the Black Hills are 3/4 in South Dakota, 1/4 in Wyoming, the NW extension of the range. The lost STONE cabin mine of Wyoming is somewhere in that part of the Black Hills, the SD lost cabin mine is actually somewhere near (within walking distance) of Deadwood, found and lost repeatedly, last seen about 1891.

Please do continue;
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Found article this morning on the one close to Deadwood (5 miles) in an 1878 paper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread