Steve Berry's The Lost Order

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Came across this interesting novel while browsing my library looking for all things old, shiny, and mysterious. In the vein of National Treasure and Dan Brown, its apparent this guy does his research. In fact, as a Smithsonian Library board member he may have access to sources the "little guy" doesn't (at least, not without some effort).

I know Rebel has made a thread on another of his books so I figured I would share this too. Funny enough (to me anyway), one of the place settings is Maryville, TN (Blount Co/James Blount) where I grew up and lived for 18 years or so. It's got KGC, Peralta Stones, Jesse James, and the Sangre de Christo mountains ! Even better, he lists his sources and gives you insight in how he incorporates and connects the legends and what is fact vs fiction.

Synopsis - Steve Berry

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, read it a year or two ago. It was pretty good, but Dan Brown's stuff isn't quite as sensationalized. It's more like the Nick Cage movies - plenty of overdone pulp fiction-type action.

OP
OP
Ryano

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah I have not read it other than looking at his biblio & notes pages and skimming through the story. I'm aware my post might be offensive to serious researchers of these legends given the fact it's a "sensational" (as sdfcia said) fiction story of the legends that so many here devote themselves to further discovery. If it gives me more credibility, I was at my library to continue my reading of the first edition printing of Dobie's Coronado's Children that we have in the reference stacks !

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I have not read it other than looking at his biblio & notes pages and skimming through the story. I'm aware my post might be offensive to serious researchers of these legends given the fact it's a "sensational" (as sdfcia said) fiction story of the legends that so many here devote themselves to further discovery. If it gives me more credibility, I was at my library to continue my reading of the first edition printing of Dobie's Coronado's Children that we have in the reference stacks !

Remember, Dobie was a brilliant folklorist but often played fast and reckless with the facts.

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a copy of the lost order by Steve berry on audio books for anyone interested. Berry makes no bones about all of his books being historical “fiction”. The fun part for me is separating the wheat (history) from the chaff (fiction). He does a lot of research and as a member of the smithsonian has access none of us will ever get. I’ve checked out his research. It’s spot on. The audiobook gives reference to the research after each chapter. It checks out.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve Berry lives in the St Augustine area, and gives talks at local libraries and signings at area bookstores.
Berry also has sponsored cruises in areas of his Cotton Malone adventures.
I once asked him how his character Malone got the "Cotton" nickname years ago, he said he would eventually in one of his books-still waiting Steve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread