OK LUE hounds, go to work on this

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks sdcfia. I’ve been doing a bit of research on these since you first posted this vid in another thread and I’ll post what I’ve found when i break for lunch. As far as I know, one of the stones is still “in situ” at a cemetery near Ponil Creek...

Serna's blog has the best pictures of both stones towards the bottom of the page: MYSTERIOUS STONES OF NORTHERN NEW MEXICO

Stone #1 on display @ St James Hotel Cimarron, NM (original location somewhere in Valle Vidal area)
Stone #2 GPS 36.7535, -105.06953 (Seally Canyon/Ponil Park Cemetery)

- May 2017 news story from Albuquerque gives the best rundown of Serna's Mystery Stones I've come across so far on the web:
https://www.krqe.com/news/investiga...new-mexico-forest_20180104025544612/900289942

- 1994 L.A. Times newspaper story with U.S. Forestry Service archaeologist Jon Young about Ponil Park. It mentions the 19th century logging camp community as well as the Mystery Stone:
Ponil Park once was a thriving community with two railroad bridges. Now only a few upright timbers remain of the trestles. The cabins that once housed loggers are collapsing. The town cemetery has a unique carved limestone obelisk with a cross made of four elongated hearts and topped by an eight-pointed sunburst or star. Young said he has not been able to learn its origin.

The cemetery stone is documented on various travelogue\hiking-blog sites as well as Find-a-Grave .. a poster there mentions a similar pillar at a Cimarron cemetery (I haven't been able to find evidence on the internet for this 3rd stone yet).
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/36561593/unknown

Serna says on his recent blog update he was contacted by someone claiming two more "mystery stones" in a cemetary site 10 miles North of Ponil Park near Vermijo Creek, however these are normal unmarked headstones topped with a cross. He is skeptical about them and from what I've found, they're likely "miner's graves" at Spring Canyon cemetery. There are many unmarked graves of unfortunate coal miners who perished in Colfax County mining accidents.

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
We don't know the coordinates of the finds, but we do know where the Ring Place headquarters are. Notice the longitude?

I finally got around to listening to this and the longitude of the ring place is real close to the longitude of 105 deg 12.5’ associated with the LUE legend. The stones remind me of Phoenician tophet stones that were placed at burial grounds. I like the inclusion of the Crypto Jews and the old Native American tale was interesting. Kind of reminds me of the Kensington Stone or the Mystery Stones. I’m thinking the stones were probably placed in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s. No reason, just guessing. Anybody else have any thoughts?

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got around to listening to this and the longitude of the ring place is real close to the longitude of 105 deg 12.5’ associated with the LUE legend. The stones remind me of Phoenician tophet stones that were placed at burial grounds. I like the inclusion of the Crypto Jews and the old Native American tale was interesting. Kind of reminds me of the Kensington Stone or the Mystery Stones. I’m thinking the stones were probably placed in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s. No reason, just guessing. Anybody else have any thoughts?

Yes, that longitude is quite a coincidence isn't it? Since I don't believe in coincidences, I have to wonder if these stones are somehow related to the so-called LUE. I have no idea what the LUE is supposed to be. Despite all the LUE chatter, I'm thinking it's simply a KGC site without a very good cover story.

Mr. Serna's book shows a small simple "unknown grave" in the cemetery where the Ponil Stone is standing that has a Maltese Cross carved on it. The grave carving reminds me of a very similar carving near the entrance of a "treasure cave" in southern Colorado (San Luis Valley?).

It's interesting that the property where the stones were found was owned by a mega-millionaire, Lucian Maxwell. Also, the St. James Hotel in nearby Cimarron, where the first stone is displayed, had some interesting guests back in the day, including Jesse James several times. These circumstances fit the KGC too. If so, your dates may be on target.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Yes, that longitude is quite a coincidence isn't it? Since I don't believe in coincidences, I have to wonder if these stones are somehow related to the so-called LUE. I have no idea what the LUE is supposed to be. Despite all the LUE chatter, I'm thinking it's simply a KGC site without a very good cover story.

Mr. Serna's book shows a small simple "unknown grave" in the cemetery where the Ponil Stone is standing that has a Maltese Cross carved on it. The grave carving reminds me of a very similar carving near the entrance of a "treasure cave" in southern Colorado (San Luis Valley?).

It's interesting that the property where the stones were found was owned by a mega-millionaire, Lucian Maxwell. Also, the St. James Hotel in nearby Cimarron, where the first stone is displayed, had some interesting guests back in the day, including Jesse James several times. These circumstances fit the KGC too. If so, your dates may be on target.

This information fits in well with things described in New Mexico Confidential. The obelisks in a graveyard with probable coded symbols, Jesse James and other well known characters, a hangout and a multimillionaire. Just the kind of things to make you smile.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
It’s unfortunate that the original location of the hotel stone isn’t known. The grave yard obelisk could have information that would take you to that location. Then with a little mapping...who knows.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree the stones are no older than late-19th century. They don’t seem nearly weathered enough for the medieval-era Templar origins that Serna proposes. The crude workmanship suggests a craftsman working out of their element, or someone simply in a hurry. I suppose JJ isn’t notorious for his (stone)masonry ;)

The Albuquerque TV station did a followup story about 6 months ago to say they’d been contacted by the McDaniel family to clarify the first stone was not found in the forests of Valle Vidal but further south, close to the McDaniel ranch home. I wonder if Milton McDaniel fibbed about the hunter finding it first as a sort of plausible denial in case any trouble came of where it came from.

The McDaniel Ranch was part of the historic Urraca/UU Bar Ranch (now owned by cattle magnate Bob Funk) and when the ranch home was sold in 1985, the pillar moved to the St. James Hotel, then the home became a bed and breakfast retreat, minutes away from Urraca Mesa (we're in the heart of LUE territory now, aren't we?). The property has always been known as Casa del Gavilan. I think for experimental purposes it would be safe to place the marker on Urraca Mesa if we're looking for interesting "angles".

https://casadelgavilan.com/history-of-the-casa

I’m hoping our resident KGC experts (Rebel, Kace, L.C., franklin, TX-Jay) will chime in and at least comment on the pillar symbols..

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that Karl Von Muller and his friends found most of the treasures. But, best of luck to those who are seeking it.

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree the stones are no older than late-19th century. They don’t seem nearly weathered enough for the medieval-era Templar origins that Serna proposes. The crude workmanship suggests a craftsman working out of their element, or someone simply in a hurry. I suppose JJ isn’t notorious for his (stone)masonry ;)

The Albuquerque TV station did a followup story about 6 months ago to say they’d been contacted by the McDaniel family to clarify the first stone was not found in the forests of Valle Vidal but further south, close to the McDaniel ranch home. I wonder if Milton McDaniel fibbed about the hunter finding it first as a sort of plausible denial in case any trouble came of where it came from.

The McDaniel Ranch was part of the historic Urraca/UU Bar Ranch (now owned by cattle magnate Bob Funk) and when the ranch home was sold in 1985, the pillar moved to the St. James Hotel, then the home became a bed and breakfast retreat, minutes away from Urraca Mesa (we're in the heart of LUE territory now, aren't we?). The property has always been known as Casa del Gavilan. I think for experimental purposes it would be safe to place the marker on Urraca Mesa if we're looking for interesting "angles".

https://casadelgavilan.com/history-of-the-casa

I’m hoping our resident KGC experts (Rebel, Kace, L.C., franklin) will chime in and at least comment on the pillar symbols..

Good find, Ryano.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
There’s a KGC treasure legend at Black Mesa by Espinola

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where’s Roger Snow when you need him? Ryano, the silent majority is reading these posts and then researching the hell out of treasure leads on their own. All of us will post when and if we find anything valuable to the group. Researchers glory is sharing what they find with those who search with boots on the ground. Every thread runs its course and dies out...to be resurrected by new found interest later...I for one appreciate ALL who start new threads. Keeps me up late at night plowing through my research material! This subject on this thread is fertile ground...can’t wait to see where it goes!

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Samuel - although this probably isn't specifically what mdog meant, a KGC "lost gold" legend at Black Mesa was these people were chasing:

Man accused of harassing Cook says family hired him to find gold | Local News | santafenewmexican.com

I did some digging and this story has a weird cast of characters, including Gale Roberts and "Pastor" John Melancon and his Long Range Locator, probably deserves its own thread.

This is the place I was thinking of but I can’t find anything about the legend.

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi. I have to agree with everyone who has mentioned the KGC. I haven't looked at the article about the stone yet, but the "star" is probably a compass rose. The "hearts" and the "obelisk" are also used by the KGC. Combine these clues with the weathering of the stone itself, and the timing of the "stories" in the area makes me think it is possibly KGC. The stone that is still on site should be examined closely in conjunction with the surrounding area. There will be directional/topographical clues which will lead the tracker in the desired direction if it is KGC. There could also be buried metal clues placed at specific distances from the stone to help the searcher. Whether this stone is related to the LUE, I have no clue however. I find the LUE a very interesting subject, and have done a certain amount of research on it myself. One possible theory, is that this LUE burial is an older treasure located by the KGC and either relocated or remarked (new signs) and left in place.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hi. I have to agree with everyone who has mentioned the KGC. I haven't looked at the article about the stone yet, but the "star" is probably a compass rose. The "hearts" and the "obelisk" are also used by the KGC. Combine these clues with the weathering of the stone itself, and the timing of the "stories" in the area makes me think it is possibly KGC. The stone that is still on site should be examined closely in conjunction with the surrounding area. There will be directional/topographical clues which will lead the tracker in the desired direction if it is KGC. There could also be buried metal clues placed at specific distances from the stone to help the searcher. Whether this stone is related to the LUE, I have no clue however. I find the LUE a very interesting subject, and have done a certain amount of research on it myself. One possible theory, is that this LUE burial is an older treasure located by the KGC and either relocated or remarked (new signs) and left in place.

I agree with you. If the hotel stone was found out in the middle of nowhere, there was probably information at the cemetery stone that would lead you there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread