Chouteaus Island Treasure Info Needed
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By KANACKI

Thread: Chouteaus Island Treasure Info Needed

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Treasure Hunter

Feb 2019
    First City of Kansas
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Chouteau's Island Treasure Info Needed

Greetings, I'm from Kansas and I'm preparing to do some treasure hunting in the southwestern regions of the state. One treasure I was hoping to search for is simply called the "Chouteau Island Treasure", where legend says that $24,000 worth of silver is buried on Chouteau's island about 5 miles southwest of Lakin, KS. I was wondering if anyone knew about the origins or history of the treasure, or really anything about it. I've tried to research it but came up pretty dry, only suspecting that it's likely Spanish in origin, probably from the early to mid 1800's. Again any information would be helpful
    Thanks for reading

Mar 2015
    3604 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfilium View Post
    Greetings, I'm from Kansas and I'm preparing to do some treasure hunting in the southwestern regions of the state. One treasure I was hoping to search for is simply called the "Chouteau Island Treasure", where legend says that $24,000 worth of silver is buried on Chouteau's island about 5 miles southwest of Lakin, KS. I was wondering if anyone knew about the origins or history of the treasure, or really anything about it. I've tried to research it but came up pretty dry, only suspecting that it's likely Spanish in origin, probably from the early to mid 1800's. Again any information would be helpful
    Thanks for reading
    Hello Solfulim

The National Park service states the following.

Historian Louise Barry describes an event in 1828 involving a caravan that included Milton E. Bryan,
    Thomas Ellison, and John Means. As the group was returning to Missouri from Santa Fe with a considerable
    quantity of silver, they encountered a band of Comanche Indians. Some of the caravan's livestock were
    driven away, Means was killed, and another traveler was wounded.

Barry notes, "Forced to abandon their wagons and baggage, the merchants set out on foot, at night, on a northward course, each carrying as much silver as he could manage. On reaching the Arkansas (at Chouteau's Island?) they buried most of the money, and headed for Missouri."

The following year, Bryan accompanied Major Bennet Riley through the area and retrieved the buried silver. Subsequent rumors of buried silver brought treasure seekers to the site in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but nothing was ever found.

Source: 12 Barry, The Beginning of the West, 151-152. Citation covers paragraph.

Kanacki

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links