Is there a legend attached to this ?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but it was found in 1967. One of the people that found it used almost the entire aft end of the Spanish Caravelle to build the guest addition to his house in El Centro. The remainder of the ship is under about twenty feet of blow sand just East of El Centro and just South of Highway 74.

Mike

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Puerto de Santa Clara  re Kino.jpg

Not that far to the south, really.
What did Kino know about the "ancient geographers" he spoke of ?
What would he consider "ancient" ? And what might have been the sea level in those times ?
Was the timber from the caravel ever dated ?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy used to be the local distributor for a soft drink company. He told me he used the aft end timbers because they were the only straight wood on the ship. No pearls. No jewels.

My guess is that the Colorado River has jumped its banks many times in its history, and flooded the old Widney Sea. (Salton Sea). It stayed flooded until a way opened up to the South, causing it to drain into the Sea of Cortez, or the land to shift causing the Colorado to flow somewhere else, the the Salton dries up. You have to remember that this entire area is the very Southern end of the San Andreas Fault. It gets about 100 tiny earthquakes a day. It gets more larger earthquakes than almost anywhere.

If you want to see something interesting, in Google Earth, check the box that displays earthquakes. They show up as red dots on the map. Your GE will look like it has the measles in this area. LOL

Mike

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen these timbers ?
If they still exist, they could be identified as to point of origin and who was most likely to have built the ship....and when.
It would require examination by qualified academics of course.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen these timbers ?
If they still exist, they could be identified as to point of origin and who was most likely to have built the ship....and when.
It would require examination by qualified academics of course.

I have seen the timbers the guy used for the guest addition to his house. He is afraid of getting into trouble for using the wood, so has never made the find public. Another person gave me his name. I found his address with skip tracing software I have access to. I would have to find the exact GPS Coords of the Fore End of the ship, but it is just South of Highway 78 (East of El Centro), not far past Gecko Road. It is usually under about twenty feet of blow sand. We looked at pictures, and he said it was definitely a Caravelle.

Mike

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kino 1701.jpg

Kino's map of 1701....a bit different from current sat views.
From his vantage point up high and to the east, he would have seen all the way north to the end of what is now the Salton Sea.

Current view.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions