When a treasure legend becomes a reality. - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: When a treasure legend becomes a reality.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    936 times
    mercy Tom, I'm new at reading your posts but you seem to be fiercely dogmatic

some, not all
    and again; some, not all

Kanacki's post above is quite extraordinary in that the details and methodology of a truly huge operation are shown, and I am left shaking my head at the scope and investment. Would be interesting to know the expenses to the point of physical discovery (including both paid and contributed hours and resources).

Spanish mines in the New World are a most fertile source - of some finds and many (false) legends. But one does not (re)search Spanish activities from North America, or in English; and the best lead in the world is worthless without the resources (including mental, eh) to follow it up.

Tom, it would seem that much of your ire is for those dilettantes who wish to consider themselves "treasure hunters" using a whopper of a implausible tale to earn their merit badge. Try and remember that we are dealing with a bell-shaped curve, all will be entertained.

ya know, Kanacki did not say squat about turtles (incomplete investigation? or shielding info?)

Matthew

edit: copied from Kanacki's post below:
    "Tom will make the last post on . . . this Topic... "
    we look at the headlight thinking its a light in the window
    Last edited by BillA; May 10, 2019 at 02:53 PM.
    mdog, Tom_in_CA, Ditlihi and 1 others like this.

Mar 2015
    3604 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Enjoyed your videos. Thanx for the links. At the risk of occupying too much space on the forum, let's just try this : Turn your quote above, around, in the opposite direction (to say the same thing, in reverse) : "..... It becomes all too easy to accept every legend astrue and factual ..."

So how do we sort out those that are just "imagination gone wild" vs "those with merit" ?

You CAN NOT go by "those that sound most convincing". Because, sure as heck, a BUNCH of them sound mighty convincing . With pedigrees, cool narratives, skeletons, conspiracies, motives, tips-of-icebergs, etc.. Right ? In which case, you would merely be "relying on the legend to prove the legend". Eh ? And even to try to "sort out fact from fiction" (to "remove the legend" aspect) is fraught with problems. Because, no doubt, you will find that many elements of the story are (gasp) TRUE ! But that fails to take into account that ALL treasure legends are based in truth. Eg.: names, dates, events. But if there was not "treasure" at the end of that, .... what good does all the other data do ?

Thus to merely find "true elements" of a legend, does not mean "treasure". No treasure legend ever started with "Once upon a time". You can conjecture treasure (quite sincerely) around ANY past historical set of facts. But that doesn't make the treasure part of the conjecture to be necessarily true.

Tom I am sure you are a re incarnation of Sir Humphery Appbley

We can go on with this pointless pissing match Tom you are embarrassing yourself. I understand why South Sea Mariner and others have left the forum.

I do not post here for endless nit picking pissing matches.

Clearly Tom you are obtuse and we can have endless argument until we go blue in the face. I have much more important issues than verbal diarrhea you have posted above.

You went to Mexico and failed because you never did any proper research. But your ego will not let you deal with that failure. So because of your failure. You concluded you did not fail, it was the people you went there with making wild assumptions. And concluded all treasure legends are fairy stories? Yet you openly claim to detect stage coach stops under the assumption that coins may be found. Yet a treasure legend if proven to be with real documents to you is nothing but an assumption. Does it not seem a little hypocritical?

Face it Tom It not the topic that is the problem? Its your ego. We have seen it in many posts in forum I know here many have seen it. The endless arguments with people nitpicking?

Why is that? Because you got to be the best Tom.

In your own post you say you have found the the most gold coins in California? if not the whole United States. Isn't that an assumption and very pretentious. I suspect there are many Detectorist than have found many things. But I do not see them glorifying them selves over a Talley and claiming they are the best.

Why? Your rationale is ego driven. Now everyone reading this please take note

Tom will make the last post on the this Topic...

Why "Ego"

Goodbye Tom

Kanacki
    Last edited by KANACKI; May 12, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
    mdog, cyzak, somehiker and 4 others like this.

pt
    Sep 2014
    6902 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    Kanacki's post above is quite extraordinary in that the details and methodology of a truly huge operation are shown, and I am left shaking my head at the scope and investment. Would be interesting to know the expenses to the point of physical discovery (including both paid and contributed hours and resources).

Spanish mines in the New World are a most fertile source - of some finds and many (false) legends. But one does not (re)search Spanish activities from North America, or in English; and the best lead in the world is worthless without the resources (including mental, eh) to follow it up.
    Archivo General de Indias in Seville is a must-visit destination if you ever find yourself in that wonderful city. As indicated in the videos, you can just walk right in and marvel at the bookcases and exhibits, but don't expect to bring your legal pad and start doing "treasure research". Barron and his group are turning up impressive documentation and seemingly using it their advantage. Congratulations to their team.

That said, remember that this is a multi-million $ corporation with top-notch academics on their payroll. This is how you get to access the old documents - money and good connections. Us Joe Schmo's don't have these types of resources. Not impossible, but not easy either. Take a look at this: General Archive of the Indies, Seville | Dissertation Reviews

For decades I've supported a point raised in this thread: 99% of the "information" available on "treasure legends" is horse-pucky. Fun, imaginative, intriguing, yes, but not leading you to your heart's desire. That's not to say that a few of the tales don't have some truth to them, but if a treasure exists for the finding, you will only recover it using proprietary information.
    Last edited by sdcfia; May 10, 2019 at 08:41 AM.
    BillA, mdog, Ditlihi and 2 others like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10047 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcfia View Post
    ... That's not to say that a few of the tales don't have some truth to them,....
    All of them have truth in them. Names, dates, events, around which the treasure-story is built. But the million dollar question is (no pun intended) : Is there a treasure ?

But as for your "horse-pucky" statement : Watch out. You don't wanna get reprimanded

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links