failed hunts for (a defined) treasure

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello BillA

In 1937 there was curious claim. The following newspaper story below reported a story below.

Mystery And Tragedy Grip Scene of Great Gold Find

PANAMA, July 23. An atmosphere of mystery and tragedy enveloping a reported find of $3,000,000 in gold bars in remote Chiriqui province was deepened today and President Jose Arosemena ordered a thorough investigation. National police operatives sent to Piedra Candeals, where the gold was reported found, sent word by courier through the jungle that they had reached the scene. They were met by Johannes Van Steck, a French citizen, one of three prospectors said to have found the gold. Van Steck, the police said, conducted them to the ancient mine tunnel in which the gold was supposed to be hidden. “I’ll go in first,” they quoted Van Steck as saying. They said Van Steck thrust his matchete, a sword-like, heavy knife, into the block mouth of the tunnel and then entered himself. There was the sound of a shot, the police said,

and, following Van Steck into the tunel, they found him shot through the right side of the head and bleeding from the mouth. First reports were that Van Steck was dead. Later police rethough desperately wounded. For reasons unstated, the police seemed to believe that Van Steck shot himself. That accounetd for one of the three prospectors. Van Steck, in his first stories to police, asserted that Antonio Hill, German, another of the three, fled to the hills and tried to shoot him from ambush after telling natives that he was trying to cheat them. There has been no further word of Hill. The third prospector was Arring Thorpe, an American. He was found yesterday at La Concepcion, the nearest outpost of civilization to the mine tunnel—three days afoot through the jungle from the scene. Thorpe denied any connection with the treasure or any knowledge of it.

Madera Tribune, Volume LXX, Number 70, 23 July 1937 — Mystery And Tragedy Grip Scene of Great Go.jpg

Madera Tribune, Volume LXX, Number 70, 23 July 1937 — Mystery And Tragedy Grip Scene of Great Go.jpg

Now speculate 3 such scenarios.

1. Story was a hoax created by the reporter?

2. Story was an actual event but the local authorities got greedy?

3. Story was partly true but no gold was found?

Interesting as you see the area of this discovery of alleged gold bars in a mine tunnel was in an area on the border with Panama and Costa Rica ?

data=LGQrOL_MJ0uLhzUlwZQoGyd62rPuH6asJO_ljsoMJviuiX2qx-58y_ummHptURDRXbOH5xZXwrRMKHUrfZSQHfHoKX7.png

Was this mine tunnel of this alleged discovery of 3 milllion in gold bars minas del Tisingal y la Estrella?

Kanacki

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hi Kanacki

You are correct, I realized after I posted that there was an 'issue' with my definition.

Am reading your clippings, seems a lot of scams to fleece investors; name dropping tall tales w/o historical antecedents.

Interesting is that there were/are numerous small rivers on the Osa Peninsula (mentioned by the Spanish) that did indeed have a bunch of gold, but at the time of the Spanish the indigenous population was too low to support the necessary slavery. The Diquis civilization gold remains were not looted (excuse me, recovered) until United Fruit brought in trenchers and dozers. 8" dredgers in the '80s with exploration permits got the easy gold on the Osa rivers. There are photos of 500 panners working the black sands on a beach here; none today - prohibited (and in front of a pricey tourist area, Matapalo I believe - surf break as well).

Bill

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a newspaper speculating on the alleged discovery.

Madera Tribune, Volume LXX, Number 69, 22 July 1937 — Treasure of Gold Bars May Be Lost Cache Ea.jpg

Madera Tribune, Volume LXX, Number 69, 22 July 1937 — Treasure of Gold Bars May Be Lost Cache Ea.jpg

As you can see there was much speculation about the alleged discovery?

Kanacki

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hello BillA

In 1937 there was curious claim. The following newspaper story below reported a story below.

Mystery And Tragedy Grip Scene of Great Gold Find

PANAMA, July 23. An atmosphere of mystery and tragedy enveloping a reported find of $3,000,000 in gold bars in remote Chiriqui province was deepened today and President Jose Arosemena ordered a thorough investigation. National police operatives sent to Piedra Candeals, where the gold was reported found, sent word by courier through the jungle that they had reached the scene. They were met by Johannes Van Steck, a French citizen, one of three prospectors said to have found the gold. Van Steck, the police said, conducted them to the ancient mine tunnel in which the gold was supposed to be hidden. “I’ll go in first,” they quoted Van Steck as saying. They said Van Steck thrust his matchete, a sword-like, heavy knife, into the block mouth of the tunnel and then entered himself. There was the sound of a shot, the police said,

and, following Van Steck into the tunel, they found him shot through the right side of the head and bleeding from the mouth. First reports were that Van Steck was dead. Later police rethough desperately wounded. For reasons unstated, the police seemed to believe that Van Steck shot himself. That accounetd for one of the three prospectors. Van Steck, in his first stories to police, asserted that Antonio Hill, German, another of the three, fled to the hills and tried to shoot him from ambush after telling natives that he was trying to cheat them. There has been no further word of Hill. The third prospector was Arring Thorpe, an American. He was found yesterday at La Concepcion, the nearest outpost of civilization to the mine tunnel–three days afoot through the jungle from the scene. Thorpe denied any connection with the treasure or any knowledge of it.

View attachment 1714371

View attachment 1714372

Now speculate 3 such scenarios.

1. Story was a hoax created by the reporter?

2. Story was an actual event but the local authorities got greedy?

3. Story was partly true but no gold was found?

Interesting as you see the area of this discovery of alleged gold bars in a mine tunnel was in an area on the border with Panama and Costa Rica ?

View attachment 1714379

Was this mine tunnel of this alleged discovery of 3 milllion in gold bars minas del Tisingal y la Estrella?

Kanacki

Hi Kanacki,

the reason for my inquiry

Bill

edit: and there was a story of Panamanian indigenas selling 2 dore bars post war, lost reference

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some more on the story. Claims the gold was sent to David and flown out of the country. Arring Thorpe was a manager of coffee plantation and here is a story Son and newlywed wife was sharing in the windfall.

OAKLAND TRIBUNE JULY 22 1937 P1.JPG

OAKLAND TRIBUNE JULY 22 1937 P2.JPG

OAKLAND TRIBUNE JULY 22 1937 P4.JPG

OAKLAND TRIBUNE JULY 22 1937 PT 3.JPG

In answer to your question about natives as the article suggests maybe local natives later found more dore bars?

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is reference to his sons marriage actually in 1933.

Virgil E Thorpe
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 30 Oct 1933
Marriage Place: Los Angeles, California, USA
Spouse: Bessie H Swearingen

The newspaper did not give vigils fathers proper name in Panama his name in American records. Oscar Verbal Thorpe 1883–1951

BIRTH 12 MAY 1883 Texas
DEATH 5 OCT 1951 Los Angeles. It appears they once owned property in long beach CA which is now a school in the center of the city of long beach.

The Son Virgil Edwin Thorpe died in 1970. Virgil and Bessie only had one daughter Helen Fay Thrope and she died in 2004. However I managed to make contact with person with a family connection to the family. Might be interesting to see if confirm the story was hoax or real discovery?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or
the gold was being transported to David, to be flown out
seems all future tense

Bill

Yes indeed. I have more to show you. What raises a red flag for me is. At this stage I can find no immigration records that any of them left the United states. After WW1 entry and exit is usually recorded. I have nothing as such at present. However Vigils father did by 1940 live in Long beach in California working as a chemist. However he is not recorded being there in the year 1935. So it is not quite clear where he was between 1935 and 1939? His income for 1940 was 2000 dollars. Another factor why would they bring gold to the United States any way?

The United States Gold Reserve Act of January 30, 1934 required that all gold and gold certificates held by the Federal Reserve be surrendered and vested in the sole title of the United States Department of the Treasury. ... The act also changed the nominal price of gold from $20.67 per troy ounce to $35.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow!
can only observe
would bet no gold in quantity

Bill

If he had brought gold with him it would of been confiscated. Yet looking past that, looking his in come for 1940 was 2000 that would equate very roughly to about 60 ounces. The alleged 3 million dollars divided by 35 dollars per ounce the price of gold at the time equals 85714 ounces roughly at 1200 dollars for example. Todays value would be worth 102856800. 00 There is just no evidence to confirm any gold arrived back in United States.

The following story claims the whole story a hoax?

Madera Tribune, Volume LXX, Number 72, 26 July 1937.jpg

President of Panama Juan DemĂłstenes Arosemena Barreati appeared to be fairly liberal. So in short I am inclined towards the story being a hoax?

But you can see it could easy lay the ground work for other such stories of natives find gold bars connected with these lost mines?

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all the characteristics of a tall tale
wonder who/why the promotion ?

Bill

Good question. There seems there was never a gold mine or treasure hunting proposal for investors. Maybe they did find some thing and Panamanian government strong armed control killed the french man, Hill disappeared either dead or to protect his ass, And Thorpe publicly denied it existence to save his own skin?

After all hes not in gringo land. Would'nt be the first time such things have happened. However we can only make conjecture. However interesting the yarn is.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not in Long Beach as a multi-millionaire, lived there
dead link ?

Bill

He lived as lodger in long beach and was working for chemical company. So for me that says plenty that no gold came to United states at least.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello BillA

I cannot comment on those later claims after WW2. I just do not have enough information to make a comment either way. Although I heard stories I could not remember where? Its hard to know a ghost of a story morphs into another version. This happens with many stories over time they take on a life of their own.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello BillA

Thanks for the link. I think I read that one also before but forgotten. :icon_scratch: It might be interesting what we can find out about the two other partners in this alleged story.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just on point of aircraft flying out in 1937. The local airport was hacked out of jungle in 1941. Before that nothing existed. Near the city of David. So that part of the story is unlikely.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread