Lost Treasure of Columbia City

magniforte

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJ, thus far, the evidence points to the "burial/search" occurring across the river from Columbia City in the Woodland Bottoms / Hez Caples farm area. The Astorian article and land records/maps posted earlier seem to confirm this. I still think finding evidence of this legend in existence prior to 1890 (around the time this legend hit the news cycle) could provide some important confirmation and further clarity. I can't imagine a better place to start this search for evidence than the Caples House Museum... and look forward to to hearing about what you find out.

I wouldn't dwell too much on the teepees part of this legend from Skinner's story from 1896. I believe it is a generalization that Native Americans were, or became, present giving the mutineers a motive to bury their loot and/or make a hasty exit without the loot. The Astorian article (earliest version of this story in the news cycle, less whatever is in the Portland Telegram) is interesting in that it presents some inconsistencies in the story (see 2nd paragraph in article)... basically, if the mutineers have control of the ship... why would they leave the treasure behind? Perhaps later articles try to rectify this inconsistency by adding Native Americans to the legend...?

I personally don't hold any confidence in "spiritualists/mediums," but I still think that their actions in this legend paint a bigger picture. The Astorian article puts "spiritualists" in Columbia City five to six years before the article (see 4th paragraph) was published in 1890... so 1884-1885ish. 1884 is when the Pacific Northern Railway connects Portland to Seattle, ferrying trains across the Columbia River, from Goble, OR to Kalama, WA. This rail route passes directly through Columbia City at this time and potentially brings with it interesting travelers like "spiritualists."

I'm going to speculate... "spiritualists" working from town to town between rail lines arrive in Columbia City... local or locals reveal story/legend of "Spanish bark" and buried treasure, wanting to know if "spiritualists" can use their powers to help... opportunity arrises for "spiritualists" to extract further $$$ for use of their skills... wild goose chase ensues.

Since the search seemed to have focused on the Hez Caples' farm, I'm inclined to believe that this is part of the original story/legend. As far as the rock pile and bones... I think it is far more likely they identified a Native American burial site.

magniforte

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, thank you for the lead on the Ecuadorian vessel, Jóven Carolina, visit to San Francisco. Here is list of vessels coming in and out of San Francisco from 1774 to 1847. I was surprised by the number of Mexican vessels at this time, but shouldn't have been. San Francisco was a part of Mexico during this time (post-Mexico's independence from Spain in 1821 and pre-Mexican-American War/Mexican Cession in 1846-1848.

I was able to find a few other instances of this ship trading on the Pacific doing a Google search:
- History of California: 1841-1845
- Guayaquil weekly mail

My Spanish is very poor, but the second document I believe refers to a cargo of grenadine?

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, thank you for the lead on the Ecuadorian vessel, Jóven Carolina, visit to San Francisco. Here is list of vessels coming in and out of San Francisco from 1774 to 1847. I was surprised by the number of Mexican vessels at this time, but shouldn't have been. San Francisco was a part of Mexico during this time (post-Mexico's independence from Spain in 1821 and pre-Mexican-American War/Mexican Cession in 1846-1848.

I was able to find a few other instances of this ship trading on the Pacific doing a Google search:
- History of California: 1841-1845
- Guayaquil weekly mail

My Spanish is very poor, but the second document I believe refers to a cargo of grenadine?

Hello magniforte

Well done with the research. I am impressed!

I suspect the story was a late 19th invention based on real locations perhaps by traveling spiritualist as you alluded to? In regards to Jóven Carolina we have no concrete evidence this vessel was the vessel of the story. While indeed grenadine was the cargo to San Francisco. We can only make assumptions that the vessel strayed north to allegedly bury treasure?

It was interesting line of inquiry yet perhaps a few of these Mexican vessels might also be contender for the one in the story? The problem we have in regards to the story that their is no concrete motive of such a vessel to bury treasure there to begin with in 1841. Piracy by 1830 was all but stamped out but a few cases was the rule to the exception. There was few cases of mutiny and piracy. Involving crews so badly treated murdering the captains and officers and plundering their own vessel. Since in 1840 a sailors lot was pretty crap and wage poor. Most trading captains carried money during their voyages and some profits. Some times that money cost quite a few trading captains their lives. Since these alleged events happened before the Gold rush era then search is logically to any piratical events or missing vessels dated from that time period may help us confirm or disprove the story?

Regards well done with the impressive efforts in your search.

Kanacki

magniforte

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, interesting you mention piratical events... there is a ship, the Llama/Lama, that had such an event occur on it in 1839. Before I head on this tangent, I do not think this is the ship as described in the legend discussed here. However, there are some interesting ties to the local area and people, more specifically the Hudson Bay Company/Fort Vancouver, that makes one wonder...

I located this instance of piracy in a PhD thesis and book by Richard Mackie. A link to the thesis titled "The Hudson’s Bay Company on the Pacific, 1821-1843" is here. See pages 209-212 in thesis. A link to the book titled "Trading Beyond the Mountains: The British Fur Trade on the Pacific, 1793-1843" is here. See pages 144-145.

The ship is listed in the San Francisco arrival/departures posted earlier here as the Llama with a variety of owners/captains, one being John Bancroft in 1839...

Bancroft, bought the ship from the Hudson Bay Company's/Fort Vancouver's John McLaughlin in 1837 for $5,500 to trade otter furs. Half his crew was collected from Fort Vancouver, present day Vancouver, WA which is ~15-20 miles upstream on the Columbia River from present day Columbia City, OR. The other half of the crew was collected from Fort Simpson, near present day Vancouver, BC. Supposed McLaughlin grubstaked the ship with supplies to assist with trading/acquiring otter pelts. Bancroft did not have enough money to pay for the ship and trading supplies in their entirety and would pay off McLaughlin with pelts. In Bancroft's second year of this endeavor, the Native Americans working for him turned on him and killed him off the coast of California. The "NW Indians" on the Lama "compelled the Mate to take them back to Kygarnee on the NWst Coast" and "plundered the Brig of everything of value." The ship then sailed onto Oahu, a central hub for otter fur trade to China...

So where is Kygarnee/Kygarney? Supposedly off the coast of British Columbia. This is the only reference I could find referring to it, which surprisingly enough deals with an earlier captain of the Lama/Llama, William Henry McNeill.

I'd be curious to know what happened to the crew whose original origin was HBC's Fort Vancouver on the Columbia River... did they relay this story upon their return and did it get twisted into the legend discussed in this thread? Was there a pit stop (Columbia City) before Kygarnee to release some/all of the HBC crew, plunder the brig, and get some fresh/unsalted water? On another note, it is interesting to see that the ship is again active after this ordeal in 1841 and 1842 by a new captain named Jones (see San Francisco port activity linked above). There is a part of the legend referring to individuals involved in the mutiny returning to recover their buried loot... I think the preceding questions/thoughts are pure speculation and a serious stretch from the legend described in this thread, but who knows...

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Magniforte

Possible? But.....perhaps Kygarnee/Kygarney was tribal settlement? I did a brief search through old maps Oregon and British Columbia. But no means comprehensive. No luck!

One of the risks researching treasure legends is subconsciously trying to connect events that might be entirely two different events. Although the 1890 story is interesting the story could of been woven around real people and events into a fictitious treasure story. For example Llama/Lama story got woven into Hez Caples farm area. Getting back to the 1890 story one of treasure hunters was William Mathews.

I searched the Oregon, Compiled Census Index, 1841-1890

William Mathews
State: OREGON
County: Jackson County
Township: Working Copy
Year: 1854
Database: OREGON 1851-1859 Census Index.

Perhaps a little dig for information might help?

In regards to the 1890 newspaper story there is no clear source of this treasure story? Was it William Mathews ? Did he end up in an institution?

While in 1900 there was 3 William Mathews one was born in 1874, 1887 and a William C Mathews born in 1869. Two of the ones mention was too young in 1890. Third? Possible ? But again finding the right one is challenge. Its possible the Jackson County William Mathews was dead by 1900? Did he die in Oregon or in another State?

Sadly so many questions so few answers at present.

Such is the lot researching such stories.

Kanacki

OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the risks researching treasure legends is subconsciously trying to connect events that might be entirely two different events. . . .
Such is the lot researching such stories.
Kanacki

Kenacki speaks with wisdom here. When the trail grows thin it is only natural to try to fill in the voids by looking for threads of fact which seem to be shared across legends. Speaking for myself I think this is the departure point between fact, fiction, and legend.

FYI - as a quick scan of the Caples House website discloses, the museum is open on Fridays and through the weekend. I plan on calling the current museum coordinator to confirm and also to discuss our specific interests. I will move on to see if He's Caple's resting place is nearby. I am also trying to set up a timeline that captures the points brought up by key participants in the discussion.

OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just finished a delightful visit to the Caple House in Columbia City. There are no searchable papers of any kind on the premises. The museum staff was helpful and encouraging. They were cordial,witty, knowledgable, and unaware of the treasure legend. I suspect that with time and patience local knowledge and sources yet to be identified may add further dimension to the story.

One thing that I did pick up on was a reference to this event in the April 9, 1890 edition of the Daily Morning Astorian. This article offered up the name of one William Matthews, who reportedly ". . . was transformed into a raving maniac . . ." while examining disinterred human bones on the supposed site. The name of the steamer which transported him, presumably to either Astoria or Portland, was given as the Alarm.

Clearly more research is needed and I will attempt to follow up unless someone else has been down this path. I have not yet attempted to locate the gravesite of Hez but will do so as time permits. I do have a procedural question though. At what point should our "conversation" shift to PM? I have no objection to sharing info but on the other hand folks have put a fair amount of time into research and I don't want to inadvertently offend someone through carelessness or insensitivity.

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TJ

Firstly thank you for efforts and most of all foresight to suggest PM for more sensitive information. For me I have no pecuniary interest in this treasure. Other than an interest to determine if there is any truth to the treasure legend in Question. Although I cannot say on behalf of anyone else. At present with all those concerned my appreciation for such wonderful research contributions in investigating the treasure legend. I say Legend as all we have at present is a legend. Yet open minded enough to keep an open mind until more compelling information comes to light. I Prefer facts to assumptions.

If I was to make an "assumption" reading between the lines of the context 1890 newspaper. I was suspect William Mathews was a potential victim of con perpetrated by a traveling " clairvoyant" Mysticism and belief in spiritualism spread across country in that time frame. That built a treasure story around some factual events enough to make it believable? There was many opportunists who exploited people for money on the belief they could talk to dead. And possible manipulate people paying for their services in finding alleged treasure. William Mathews may of been a victim of such insidious behavior. Of course when that failure in question that most likely cost William financial loss and mental break down.

However if we can find another version of this alleged treasure predating the 1890 newspaper treasure story it may give more legs to the legend. Sadly its all too common with such treasure stories they entwine themselves around a few facts. That said some more research into William Mathews and perhaps finding an earlier version pre dating the 1890 story will clarify the story either way.

Regardless what ever the outcome for me the treasure story has been interesting.

Kanacki

OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. . . I say Legend as all we have at present is a legend. Yet open minded enough to keep an open mind until more compelling information comes to light. I Prefer facts to assumptions.

If I was to make an "assumption" reading between the lines of the context 1890 newspaper. I was suspect William Mathews was a potential victim of con perpetrated by a traveling " clairvoyant" Mysticism and belief in spiritualism spread across country in that time frame. That built a treasure story around some factual events enough to make it believable? There was many opportunists who exploited people for money on the belief they could talk to dead. And possible manipulate people paying for their services in finding alleged treasure. William Mathews may of been a victim of such insidious behavior. Of course when that failure in question

Well stated, Kanacki. Pecuniary interest is not a part of my motivation either. And I thought your "assumption" was a reasonable one. We are well served to remember the popularity of mysticism and spiritualism in that time. As an aside, let me suggest that reportage wasn't necessarily driven by high journalistic standards either. That, coupled with the fact that it wasn't unusual for folks, whether prominent or not, to endorse commercial products with dubious claims of effectiveness, tells us much about the ethos of the period.

Pecuniary interest is and was expressed in many ways. And to your point, that is truly the stuff that many legends are built around!

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a couple years since I've got out to the end of Caples road to actually get some dirt time in. You can go access a little area that is right next to the river and there's probably a million dollar house right there on the river and down just a little bit further there was a homeless man that was living there in the area that you could probably detect that was in between the river and the main road out there. I actually have a friend that just lived right up on Caples Road. His name is Butch. Like I said it's been a couple years though so I'm not sure what has changed but if the homeless person has moved it would be worth going out there and check it out. I actually have a 2 bucks unit now that I can go look if they have cleared it out and see if there's anything that comes up. The sand goes up on to a little Edge and then it dips back down in a little ways and goes about 50 yards over to the road again. This is the area that's probably about a couple hundred yards long. Again maybe the person that owns the million dollar house might have found it but if you look on Google Maps you can probably easily see it at the end of the road.

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a couple years since I've got out to the end of Caples road to actually get some dirt time in. You can go access a little area that is right next to the river and there's probably a million dollar house right there on the river and down just a little bit further there was a homeless man that was living there in the area that you could probably detect that was in between the river and the main road out there. I actually have a friend that just lived right up on Caples Road. His name is Butch. Like I said it's been a couple years though so I'm not sure what has changed but if the homeless person has moved it would be worth going out there and check it out. I actually have a 2 bucks unit now that I can go look if they have cleared it out and see if there's anything that comes up. The sand goes up on to a little Edge and then it dips back down in a little ways and goes about 50 yards over to the road again. This is the area that's probably about a couple hundred yards long. Again maybe the person that owns the million dollar house might have found it but if you look on Google Maps you can probably easily see it at the end of the road.
Also that bank of the Columbia river is notorious for Indian bones being unearthed. I believe they may have unearthed some bones but they might not have been the bones in question or from the ship. There is a fresh water stream right across the river so that coincides. Some of the areas around here in those days was very much the wild west still so just about anything is plausible on a ship in the middle of the Columbia and why it was there.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks to Kanacki. I had forgot about Columbia City Oregon story. Not to hijack the thread. Found my reference to Frank Fish, its Columbia CA lost treasure he was after.
Here's the story.

Frank Fish's Last Treasure Hunt
By Ben T. Traywick
World Renowned Author

In April 1963 death came to one of the most famous and successful of the treasure hunters, Frank Fish. To all appearances and evidence he died by his own hand. But did he? Frank was my close and personal friend; my family and I spent many hours in his Gold Rush Museum listening to him spin yarns of lost and buried treasures. To say the least, it is my honest opinion that Frank Fish was not the suicidal type. He loved his museum and its thousands of relics too well. In addition he was close on the track of a large treasure cache for which he had searched many years.
Like all treasure hunters, Frank was never prone to reveal locations or such. However, as I was a close friend, he did tell me a bit of what he was doing. He had found positive evidence that a large treasure had been hidden in the vicinity of Columbia, California.##M(READMORE)##
In 1850, the U.S. government cast raw gold into $20 gold pieces for the miners. This was done in order to place more legally minted money into circulation. As this service was performed free of charge practically all the miners took advantage of it.
A cast was made totalling $600,000. Four men and a team of mules left Columbia with this huge load of gold pieces to distribute them to the miners. The men hailed several riders a short distance out of Columbia, then disappeared never to be seen again.
Frank possessed letters and papers of the period which indicated that the popular belief was that the men had succumbed to the lure of all that gold and had stolen it. Though he did not indicate why, Frank firmly believed that the men had been ambushed by parties unknown, the wagon, mules, and gold coins stolen and the bodies so well hidden that no trace of them ‘was ever found.
Because of my skeptical remarks Frank laid three $20 gold pieces on the table before me and said:
“I traced the route taken by the men with the load of gold and where I believed would be a good spot for an ambush I went over very carefully with a detector. At one such spot I found these!” With a smile he indicated the gold pieces. By persistent questioning he finally revealed there were several more areas he wished to search.
I again visited Frank Fish at his museum in Amador City, late in October 1962. One look at his face and I felt a quick surge of excitement coupled with the instant thought, “He’s found it!” Frank motioned me over to a corner and began to tell me of his latest quest for the Columbia treasure. He had not found that particular treasure but he HAD found something else! This is what he told in his slow drawling speech:
“Ben, you remember I told you I was searching all the likely ambush places? Well, while I was doing that I spotted some unusual rocks sev-eral yards away in the brush. Upon investigation I found them to be the remains of an old cabin. I went over the entire area very carefully. About 20 yards from the old chimney I came to a shallow gully. On impulse I went down into it with the detector. There was a very strong indication of metal. My first excited thought was of $600,000 in gold. Frantically I began to dig, casting nervous glances over my shoulder to assure myself that no one was watching.
I first unearthed a Spanish sword, then a knife and quite unexpectedly, the remains of a skeleton. The skull was well preserved and had a bullet hole in the back. Further digging revealed an old pistol (later found to be a .69 caliber of the type used to assassinate Lincoln).
Still deeper I uncovered an earthen jar, called an olla by the Mexicans. It was heavy beyond imagination. Clearing the neck of it, I poured part of the contents into my hand. A stream of small, gold nuggets ran out. (At current prices the nuggets were worth $870.)
Even yet there appeared to be metal in that unusual gully! I continued to dig and dis-covered a small bean pot which was every bit as heavy as the olla had been! My trembling hands poured out its contents and my happy ears heard the musical clink of coins. The pot was filled to the brim with dirty, blackened- silver dollars!”
As he told me of each object he had found, Frank reached beneath the counter and laid each one before me; the rusty metal objects and the grisly skull which did indeed have a bullet hole thru the back. (A bone specialist later examined the skull and wrote Frank a letter stating that the hole was a bullet hole and had been made by a bullet of approximately 70 calibers).
I agreed that Frank had found a nice bit of loot, but where or what was the con-nection to the $600,000?
Grinning to show he was still ahead of me, Frank laid two more $20 gold pieces, dated 1850, on the counter. “I found these in the ruins of the cabin. I believe the holdup artists were there after they held up the gold wagon. Possibly they lived there before the hold-up and perhaps a while afterwards in order not to arouse suspicion. I can see no tie-in between the skeleton and the loot buried there. It is likely that someone else killed the man and buried him in the gully years before; the gully probably held its grisly secret even while the outlaws lived at the cabin. I am still convinced that the $600,000 is buried somewhere nearby.”
Frank Fish must have had ample reason to believe his last statement, but no amount of persuasion on my part could pry it from him. Only a sly grin answered my many ques-tions.
In January 1963, I was trans-ferred to Manitoba, Canada. Just before my departure I again visited Frank in Amador City. At that time he seemed in good health, high spirits, and full of enthusiasm over another impending trip to Columbia. He was planning a three day search in February.
I heard no more of Frank Fish until I learned of his death in April 1963. Shocked and unbelieving, I read he had taken his life. Frank Fish the treasure hunter I knew; a suicide! Impossible! It was utterly ridiculous to believe he would do such a thing. Further to substantiate my disbelief are the following: (1) He made no disposal of the 7,000 priceless items in his museum which he had spent his life collecting. (2) Apparently he made no pro-visions for his burial, as his body lies buried in the poorest section of the Jackson Ceme-tery, with only a small metal marker, supplied by the cemetery, as a means of identification. (3) Unasked he had promised me several items for my own museum; no provision was made for these. (One was the fantastic amount of literature and information he had col-lected on lost treasures and ghost towns). (4) During his extensive searching for the yellow riches at Columbia, Frank uncovered evidence of an Eng-lish settlement not previously known to historians. English items he found placed the date of this settlement at about 1600. Future new discoveries may reveal a complete por-tion of our country’s history heretofore completely unknown unless all this knowledge died with Frank Fish.
I am certain he would not have overlooked any of these items had he been contemplating death by his own hand. As he solved the mysterious riddles of lost and buried treasures in life, Frank Fish left behind, in death many unanswered questions.
Did he find the $600,000 in gold coins?
Did this treasure cause his death?
What connection, if any, was there between the skeleton, buried with gold and silver in the gulley, and the Columbia gold?
Did that $600,000 in gold lie buried somewhere near Columbia as Fish believed? Does it lie there yet? I probably knew more about Frank Fish and his treasure hunting activities than anyone. Yet I don’t know the answers to the mystery. I only know that the Frank Fish I knew would not take his own life intentionally or in such a manner.

Frank Fish's Last Treasure Hunt
By Ben T. Traywick
World Renowned Author
i like this story.

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to try to get out to caples rd tomorrow morning. Just to poke around and try out my tm-808.

Looking at a terrain map I can tell there is a big area that's been dug up to probably help build the road. It sinks down what looks like a football field size or 2. Hopefully the treasure wasn't disturbed.

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pics. Looking down river(towards the pickup) that may be the island the Indians came from(found in a article). There is still a homeless man living down there leaving a lot of debris everywhere. The blackberries are overgrown. I was going to go down river to detect but was by myself. I would prefer to go with others or when it's busy down there with beach goers in the summer.

20220603_093116.jpg

Attachments

• 20220603_095054.jpg
    20220603_095054.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20220603_095144.jpg
    20220603_095144.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 20220603_095225.jpg
    20220603_095225.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32

Top Member Reactions