Buried Pirate Treasure in Panama

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
That whole idea about pirates burying treasure. I can just imagine a whole row of Morgans buccaneers walking through the Panama jungle with pick and shovels on the shoulder. Ho, ho, a shovel and pick, ho, ho, a shovel and pick...
It starts with Morgan: Hey you, pegleg, here is a handful of pieces of eight. Run to the hardware store and buy 2 dozens of pick and shovels so we can bury our treasure. And don't forget to bring me the receipt.

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Testing in the snow.jpg Perdidogringo,
thank you for your input. Finally somebody who has actually been searching for treasure in Panama. That must have been very interesting. By any chance, do you know of any Spanish accounts of the pirate history? Do they have any archives in Panama? Are the old ruins touristically developed? Is it legal to use a metal detector in Panama?
[FONT=&quot]The old pirate in the picture claims that his machine is easily capable to find a treasure hoard 10 feet deep.[/FONT]

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1731684 Perdidogringo,
thank you for your input. Finally somebody who has actually been searching for treasure in Panama. That must have been very interesting. By any chance, do you know of any Spanish accounts of the pirate history? Do they have any archives in Panama? Are the old ruins touristically developed? Is it legal to use a metal detector in Panama?
The old pirate in the picture claims that his machine is easily capable to find a treasure hoard 10 feet deep.

There is a fantastic little book called, "The Lost Treasure of Sir Francis Drake" that talks, in depth, about a couple of Englishmen's search for the treasure in the mid-1990s and all the research they compiled. The author, John Thrower, did a great job and it's an enjoyable read, although in the end they didn't find any treasure. Thrower also made a lot of guesses about certain landmarks and assumptions that I can you now, in retrospect, are probably wrong. They talk about 3 different accounts of the mule train robbery and treasure burial from the Spanish, English and even French accounts (there were some French Pirates allied with Drake on this occasion). The book is difficult to find nowadays but worth a purchase if you happen to come across it somewhere.

The old site of Panama (Panama Viejo) is now fenced, protected, and a tourist attraction. However, I have heard tales from old-timer American Zonians who used to metal detect the site from the 1940s into the 1980s without problems. That must have been something. Panama is one of those countries where metal detecting per se isn't illegal, as I understand it. However, there is an obscure law about having to hand over culturally/historically significant finds over 100 years old to the some government organization, especially ones dug up (this is mostly to protect the pre-columbian native American treasure and relics that are found on the isthmus). The vast majority of people in Panama have no clue what a metal detector is much less the laws. Obviously, you can't metal detect in any historically-protected national parks/sites (Panama viejo, Fort San Lorenzo, practically all of Portobelo, etc. etc) since that will attract a lot of unwanted attention. You will be arrested and your metal detector confiscated for sure. One more thing- Panama does have a lot of petty crime (especially in the areas from Panama City all the way to Portobello) so there is a high chance of getting mugged if you run into the wrong locals. You'd need a decent level of Spanish and a local guide as well.

Love the photo! We used a similar detector (the Pulse Star II-see photo) to search for Drake's treasure, which is known for finding deep treasure (however, very little discrimination). Sure, it goes plenty deep, however, there's nothing quite exasperating as digging down 2, 3 or 4 feet in a hot tropical environment to dig out a Balboa beer can from the 1970s, a rusted farming tool from the 1920s, or even a rusted mule shoe from 500 years ago. :tongue3: By the way, the hypothesized site of Drake's ambush/buried treasure is on private farm/pasture land nowadays.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 4.01.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 4.01.12 PM.png
    43 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Perdidogrino.

Thank you for interesting post. Speaking of Panama Viejo, an old French acquaintance of mine was in Panama in early 1980's, I think it was 1982 to search for archive records and not to actually treasure hunt. He visited the site not as treasure hunter but as tourist taking one of first guided tours at the site for tourists. Walking around the ruins he realized his shoe lace had come undone so he bent down to tie up his lace. As he was trying up his shoe he spied in a dirt patch on the grass next to his shoe a piece of 8. He told me he could not believe his eyes. He found the coin near the old ruined monastery. The coin was partially melted and in very poor condition. He showed me the coin a few years ago as its a curious memento in his travels through Latin America, sitting in pride of place in his office. He would often joke in all years he search central America for pieces of 8 he found nothing except on that day visiting as tourist.

Some times you need a little luck on your side.

Kanacki

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing anecdote, Kanacki! Sounds like that 8 reals could have been melted in the fire that destroyed the original Panama. A lot of Panamanians still blame Morgan for setting that fire but most contemporary researchers believe that it was set deliberately by the Spanish because they would rather have it destroyed than turned over to Morgan and his army. There was a real fear at that time that England would use it as a base for further intrusions into Spanish territory. And the last thing Morgan wanted was the city destroyed before he was able to loot every last bit of value from it.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Here BillA

My apology for derailing your thread atodisco :notworthy:
I will bow out.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
dog damn, thanks Simon1

edit: $60 for a BFO, no longer available - now in high search
"My apology for derailing your thread atodisco"

Last edited:

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
The journey is the destination.
That is the way I look at treasure hunting. This way you never fail.
It is always a rollercoaster of little achievements and little failures. Moments of excitement and elation mixed with frustration and even
despair. It means feeling [FONT=&quot]aliv[/FONT]e!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info and really cool post good luck

Colombiapictures

May 7, 2010
Perdidogringo

thank you for the very interesting information. I agree with you, it would be foolish to hike in this region without a local guide. In Venezuela the indigenous people living in the mosquito infested regions use a plant called MAPURITE to fend of the myriad of blood sucking insects that make life impossible. They soak the leaves overnight in water. In the morning they drink some of the water and rub the rest on their body. When they sweat, the odor of the plant comes out through the pores. The bugs don't like it.
Years after using a plastic jar to prepare the concoction, the jar was still smelling. Even after washing it with clorox and boiling water several times. The odor seems to have penetrated the actual plastic.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies a little off topic from Morgans treasure but interesting none the less. the following press release.

Did anything become of it? Or was it all Huff and no Puff?

CHARLESTON, S.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 25, 2005--Global Marine Ltd. (Pink Sheets: GLBM) announced today that the company has entered into a subcontractor's agreement to salvage the remaining 35 tons of Sir Francis Drake's silver treasure located offshore of Ecuador, using 21st century technology and the company's dive team of Ecuadorian and U.S. salvage professionals.

The agreement requests that Global Marine act on behalf of the contractor, who has access to the offshore Ecuadorian salvage permits. GLBM will mobilize its divers and equipment to begin the salvage operations.

History of the Drake Silver

In order to lighten his ship's heavy cargo for the treacherous Pacific crossing, Drake and his men regretfully threw overboard in excess of 1,350,000 pesos of silver -- an estimated 45 tons. Silver coins, ingots and bars found at the site off the coast match the silver that Drake unloaded onto a sandy bottom some 50 feet deep. Numismatic professionals estimate that the value of this circa 1578 silver may be worth approximately $100 million if properly marketed. Archival documents also mention the unloading of gold coins and jewelry at the same location.

Documents from historic accounts, books and archives verify that in 1578 the Spanish and the English had been witness to the dumping of the Drake treasure.

Attempts in the past to locate and salvage the treasure have proved mostly unsuccessful; however, the pirate Bartholomew Sharp, who anchored over the right spot, used weighted tallow to fish up a few hundred pieces of eight.

Archival data also indicates that in 1930 a steam dredge sailed into the cove and within a week had dug up 10 tons of silver ingots using a steam shovel. It departed swiftly when the government requested them to leave the area. Subsequently, the Ecuadorian government imposed strict laws concerning salvage of treasures in their territorial waters. Since that partial recovery, the exact location of the treasure has been lost over time.

The Ecuadorian government patrols this permitted area and to GLBM's knowledge no other salvage has taken place. The area was permitted after Ecuador changed its salvage laws allowing foreign involvement.

Since the area is a treasure find and no wrecks are involved, there will be very little archaeological work performed. GLBM expects the project to take three to four weeks, after which the silver and coins will be sold through Global's network of historical, cultural and marine artifact dealers or added to the company's artifact assets.

In the Ecuadorian coastal region, Global Marine has identified an additional 22 shipwrecks, captains' logs, eyewitness accounts and manifests from archives in Seville, Spain. The shipwrecks of Ecuador have been evaluated by independent archaeologists to be worth an average of $220 million of treasure within each wreck site. GLBM will begin to survey a number of reefs and coves, which have been identified as potential targets on recent dives. The site evaluation dives have produced coins and other valuable artifacts, which lead the company to believe that further permits need to be requested.

Two Ecuadorian citizens have joined the company as country consultants to help develop the diving, search, permitting and recovery phase for each project.

Further information on this recovery and other company business is available on the corporate Web site.

Global Marine Ltd.

Global Marine Ltd. is a publicly traded firm whose primary business is oceanographic and historic marine archaeological recovery. Global Marine has located a number of found shipwreck and other oil and gas marine survey projects in different stages of growth. The company offers its shareholder base and other investors an opportunity for growth.

This press release does not constitute an offer to sell or a recommendation to purchase any securities.

This release contains "forward-looking statements." Such statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are based on expectations, estimates and projections that involve a number of risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results or events to differ materially from those anticipated. GLBM does not undertake to update any of its forward-looking statements that may be made from time to time. The information in this press release is provided solely for the reader's general knowledge; it is not intended to be a comprehensive review for all matters and developments concerning either GLBM or this recovery operation.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Francis Drake did not visit Isla de la Plata. Notwithstanding Spanish claims, he simply could not have done so. Although it seems rather a pity to strip the small island of its romantic association with the English hero, it is doubtful if that will make the slightest difference to the local Ecuadorian tourist trade, which gains much profit from the use of Drake's famous name so many miles from Devon.

Close examination of the primary sources suggests that the robbery of the Cacafuego took place in an ocean calm. Drake was thus very fortunate, subsequently, to pick up a favourable wind for the passage to Caño Island.

Some believe the Silver he captured was not dumped overboard off Ecuador Isla Plate but sailed to Cano Island in Costa Rica were Drake had to Careen his ship.

However our topic in Panama and for Drakes treasure The money ticket if of course its still there after all these centuries is Drake's First Success: Panama, 1572-1573 in Nombre de Dios.

Following the defeat at San Juan de Ulúa, Drake made two minor voyages to the West Indies, in 1570 and 1571, of which little is known. It was in 1572 that he embarked on his first major independent enterprise. He planned an attack on the Panama isthmus, the point at which the silver and gold treasure of Peru had to be landed and sent overland to the Caribbean sea, where ships from Spain would pick it up at Nombre de Dios. He left Plymouth on May 24, 1572, in two small vessels, the Pascha (70 tons) and Swan (25 tons), and with a crew of 73 men. With this force Drake proposed to capture the important town of Nombre de Dios. In fact, his raid there late in July, 1572, came close to success, but finally failed when he was wounded and put out of action. He remained in the vicinity of the isthmus for almost a year, raiding Spanish shipping and attempting to capture a treasure shipment. In 1573, he joined up with a French buccaneer, Guillaume Le Testu, in an attack on a richly laden mule train and succeeded in making off with the huge sum of £20,000 in gold and silver. By August 9th, 1573, he was back in Plymouth.

You can see in Beginning of the narrative of the Nombre de Dios raid in The English Hero , 1695

DRAKE BURIED 15 TONS OF SILVER IN THE SANDS.jpg

to be continued....

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better still Narrative of the Nombre de Dios raid in Hakluyt's The Principall Navigations , 1589. gives the following account by a Spaniard Lopez in 1572 of drakes attack on the mule train.

View attachment 1732102

FRANCIS DRAKE NIO DIOS 1588.jpg

For me I agree with some previous comments that rather than chasing a rather unsubstantiated treasure of Henry Morgan. One might have a better chance searching for any remaining silver buried by Drake during his Nombre de Dios raid?

Kanacki

Attachments

• drake buried 15 tons of silver.jpg
    drake buried 15 tons of silver.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
and I live in Drake (Bahia Drake) in Costa Rica, Cano Island just offshore
there is a small monument to Drake put up by some foreigners w/o any justification
a tour operator cast some silver pieces of eight for his clients to find
no sign of Drake I have heard of here

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Document I have seen in person held by a Cambridge University professor of Drakes actual accounts of his voyage while written in Old English stating her careened his vessel on the island of Cano. However I was not allowed to copy the document. Gee you have no idea how much that was killing me :-) I know an expedition took place early 90's and around 2004. Mostly was kept very secret because CR authorities was continually stone walling their activities. I Knew one of members involved only after much liberal amount of brews as he was actually bound by a non disclosure group. However that said they did not find anything. I believe it funded by an American with British, French and a CR academic was involved with a small dive team.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread