Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: Buried Pirate Treasure in Panama

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2019
    MA
    11 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Buried Pirate Treasure in Panama

Hi All!

My name is Amanda, and I am new to Treasure Net. I am actually not too familiar with lidar, but I'm here because I'm looking for someone who is.

My friends and I are filmmakers, and one of us happens to be the descendent of a pretty famous pirate. In his possession, he has an authentic treasure map of Panama. From what we've garnered of his family's history, the treasure was never recovered by the pirate and his crew, and nobody has successfully searched for it since. We've decided to make a documentary about our search for the missing treasure, and as this is new territory for us, we are searching for some experienced hunters to help us out.

If you feel like you may be able to provide some assistance, please reach out to me via this thread or direct message.

Thanks!
    -Amanda
    Rebel - KGC and tokameel like this.

Mar 2015
    3407 times
    Hello Amanda

If they are claiming to be related to Henry Morgan the pirate. Think again.

Kanacki
    Rebel - KGC and Simon1 like this.

us
    Jul 2019
    MA
    11 times
    His lineage has been traced, and the map has been confirmed authentic by multiple experts.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Jul 2019
    MA
    11 times
    Also, he's related to his dad. We know he had no kids.
    Rebel - KGC and Simon1 like this.

Mar 2015
    3407 times
    Hello Amanda Best of luck with that.

Do you know how many people claimed to related to Henry Morgan? Hundreds and none of them could prove lineage under professional scrutiny. As for the maps I have many maps of Panama.

Kanacki
    Ditlihi, Simon1 and Rebel - KGC like this.

Mar 2015
    3407 times
    Then that is a little different.

So he has map dated before or after 1669 Spanish derrotero?

Kanacki
    Simon1, BillA and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Jul 2019
    MA
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KANACKI View Post
    Then that is a little different.

So he has map dated before or after 1669 Spanish derrotero?

Kanacki
    February 1671
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2708 times
    I don't think that in real life pirates ran around burying much treasure. They spent it like water pretty much after every raid.
    ROIGuy and Rebel - KGC like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Professional Treasure Hunter

Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
    6290 times
    There is plenty treasure in Panama but I do not know about a treasure of Pirate Henry Morgan. There was a lot of specie trains robbed during the California Gold Rush. Bandits robbed trains everywhere and buried the plunder. You may find some of the robbed California Gold but maybe not pirate treasure.
    treasurediver and Rebel - KGC like this.

Mar 2015
    3407 times
    Hello Amanda

Historical dates are very interesting as they can tell us so much? So we can assume this alleged Map pertains to the alleged missing loot from the Sacking of Panama?

The value of treasure Morgan collected during his expedition is disputed. Talty writes that the figures range from 140,000 to 400,000 pesos, and that owing to the large army Morgan assembled, the prize-per-man was relatively low, causing discontent. There were accusations, particularly in Exquemelin's memoirs, that Morgan left away with the majority of the plunder?

Just a quick question is your associate who is allegedly a descendant of Morgan Family via Charles Morgan?

Charles Birth was estimated between 1625 and 1675? His Death was around 1687?
    His Immediate Family:He was the Son of Sir Edward Morgan, Lt. Gov. of Jamaica and Anna Petronella Morgan.Brother of Mary Elizabeth Morgan; Anna Petronella Byndloss; John Dorian Morgan; Johanna Wilhelmina Archbould and Elizabeth Morgan.

Mary Elizabeth Morgan was the wife of Henry Morgan. To complicate things both family's last name was Morgan.

You have for forgive for the questions as it helps me understand better in regards to giving you the best advise possible. After over 30 years researching treasure all over the world, I have met saints and sinners and everything in between. So forgive me being cautious of such claims.

Now I do not want to see this alleged map as its your main trump card. Understandably you need to keep that confidential. And I will be upfront and I have no pecuniary interest in the your project. But happy to give some advice freely if you do so seek it.

Firstly you have to be honest with your self about your intentions. You do not have answer these question below here. Just ask them to yourself.

1. Ether the main goal you seeking to create a documentary?

Or

2. Your intending to recover treasure itself for profit?

I can offer advice either way if you so chose it but better confidentially via PM.

Kanacki
    Last edited by KANACKI; Jul 03, 2019 at 01:54 AM.
    AARC, BillA, treasurediver and 3 others like this.

Mar 2005
    112 times
    There are quite a few legends or rumors about Henry Morgan having buried some treasure. We can surmise that the buccaneers and pirates spent their loot wildly once they got to port. Gambling was a favorite occupation. Probably they would only partake on a new raid, if they were broke.
    But there are always exceptions. Some of the pirates did try to invest their loot and become law abiding citizens, really trying to buy a new life. Such people might bury their savings and go on another raid or follow the leader that had helped them to make fortune. All of this is just speculation. The truth is that people are people. They do not change much in their character.
    If you want to find pirate treasure, you must think like a pirate. What would you do under the circumstances?
    Looted gold and silver ware is heavy and bulky. There are records that tell about pirates buying or trading bulky treasure for easier to carry treasure, paying a premium.

What documentation is available?
    Exquemelin is of course "the bible" when it comes to first hand witnesses. There are others who were either with Henry Morgan or similar groups, like Sharp or Ringrose or William Dampier who crossed the Darien and later wrote about their adventures.

Let's make a list of sources. Who is knowledgeable on the subject?

Is it possible to retrace the paths that the pirates and buccaneers took across what is today Panama?
    Overlay their tracks on Google Earth map?
    Last edited by treasurediver; Jul 06, 2019 at 02:48 PM.
    BillA and Rebel - KGC like this.
    Every problem gives you an opportunity to solve it.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    797 times
    suspect such a map of Panama crossings has been generated by many, but would be really interesting
    Rebel - KGC and treasurediver like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    11899 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)

The trail followed the Chargres River, but in 1913, the river was dammed to form Gatun Lake, as part of the Panama Canal project. Today, to follow Morgan's route one would have to traverse not only jungle but also use Scuba equipment. One might have better luck finding 'goodies' by walking the 'silver' trail from Panama City to the (then) port of Portobelo.
    Don........

Mar 2005
    112 times
    I guess we can forget about the flooded part. We can also forget about what lies under highways and supermarkets etc. Reminds me of that movie, what was the name again? with Michael Douglas, in California. Ah yes, "The King Of California", where he finally finds the spot where the treasure is buried and it lies under a Hyperstore.

Mar 2005
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    suspect such a map of Panama crossings has been generated by many, but would be really interesting
    It would be interesting to get all that stuff that is floating out there, all the little bits of information, maps, charts, stories, books, legends etc. together in one repository.
    Let's say we put it all into one archive, kept at the "Internet Archive", https://archive.org/web/ accessible for every body who might be interested.
    By the way, for those who do not know the place yet: The Internet Archive is the most fantastic place to search for information, books and maps about everything. All accessible over the internet.
    Among countless others, Exquemelin's book The Buccaneers of America can be downloaded from there.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links