Minnesota Treasure tales.

S

shamre

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I've been thinking about this one for over 10 years.

I had a Teacher tell me about a time when the changing laws made it Illegal to own fully automatic weapons.
He told me of a guy who refused to surrender it so, he packed it in cosmoline and burlap and tossed it in a central MN lake.
He told me the name of the lake which I cannot remember but I have often thought of looking into getting the name again.

The big drawback that I can think of is: If a someone were to find it. what do you do with it?
Excuse me mister snuffelupagus, you were going over the speed limit....
hey thats a really cool looking fully auto weapon, can I see your dealers License?

Any thoughts?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MABY are LEOs Here Can Say What they Would Do, IF not Treasure Hunters Themselves, and Pulled you Over.

? I would THINK it is Legal to own an Unoperational Weapon, Which I would Think it Would Be Considered.
as I don't "think" Cosmoline would Last that long.

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
I don't know Jeff thats pretty thick goo....
Of coarse the story goes that it was totally encased in a big ol blob of cosmoline.
And the story coming from an old Navy Machinest might give some credability to that nasty nasty Goo.
i have had to work with it a few times unpacking and old gun or tools sent from china.
I guess I always dreamed it was well packed and preseved,
Although you have a point.......It's got to be 50 yrs youd think.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I'm Not up on the Stuff myself.

I guess It would Also Depend on IF it was Just Placed in the Sack or IF it was In A Case & In a Sack.

I would Think 50 years of water Would Wash it off IF not Incased Tightly in Something.

EITHER WAY, Would be an Awsome Find, Well Worth Looking For.

GOOD LUCK, if you do.
Jeff

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
I ran into some more interesting gold stories in my area...... I plan to give it a try but could use some help......
especailly in the water.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Without going into too much detail, cosmoline will last practically forever. You are correct about it washing off in running water, but in a pond or lake the cos will stick like goo. 50 years is nothing.

grizzly bare

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread