Captain de Gavilans Mine in the Sierra de las Cenizas
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By LUE-Hawn
  • 1 Post By BoydBros
  • 3 Post By sdcfia
  • 2 Post By LUE-Hawn
  • 1 Post By LUE-Hawn
  • 2 Post By Riverbum
  • 2 Post By cyzak
  • 1 Post By cyzak

Thread: Captain de Gavilans Mine in the Sierra de las Cenizas

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    I Find Things Always Have Always Will

Feb 2018
    United States
    English Dowsing Springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, Fisher Gold Bug, Whites SL, Falcon, MineLab SD2000, JW Fishers Underwater, OKM Rover C, Garrett Hand Held detectors, L-Rods, Natrual Willow Y
    193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Captain de Gavilan's Mine in the Sierra de las Cenizas

Hello,

Does anyone know of the general location of the rich but famous lost mine on the eastern flanks of the Guadalupe Mountains?

From what I read there was blue tellurium ore worth 200k to the ton and that 18 jack loads of gold bullion were lost before the Indian Revolt of 1680? In todays figures close to 10 million 400k. A nice chunk of change eh?

Thanks

LUE-Hawn
    Last edited by LUE-Hawn; Aug 10, 2019 at 07:51 PM.
    Oroblanco and sdcfia like this.

us
    Jul 2019
    Arizona
    4 times
    Prospecting
    Oroblanco likes this.

pt
    Sep 2014
    6952 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by LUE-Hawn View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone know of the general location of the rich but famous lost mine on the eastern flanks of the Guadalupe Mountains?

From what I read there was blue tellurium ore worth 200k to the ton and that 18 jack loads of gold bullion were lost before the Indian Revolt of 1680? In todays figures close to 10 million 400k. A nice chunk of change eh?

Thanks

LUE-Hawn
    Those are rough mountains, but it's a small range without so much ground to explore. There are several legends in there, but it seems like those hills have been searched by lots of folks in tight grids. It's a good destination, but once you're five miles away from it, you're in West Texas, which is about like being on the moon.
    BillA, Oroblanco and LUE-Hawn like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcfia View Post
    . . . . . West Texas, which is about like being on the moon.
    time lag similar too

us

Feb 2018
    United States
    English Dowsing Springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, Fisher Gold Bug, Whites SL, Falcon, MineLab SD2000, JW Fishers Underwater, OKM Rover C, Garrett Hand Held detectors, L-Rods, Natrual Willow Y
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcfia View Post
    Those are rough mountains, but it's a small range without so much ground to explore. There are several legends in there, but it seems like those hills have been searched by lots of folks in tight grids. It's a good destination, but once you're five miles away from it, you're in West Texas, which is about like being on the moon.
    Yes quite so, I have been along those mountains this past year and it is an unforgiving place even with water and I have pulled many a thorn out skin that pierced the legs of my double fronted carharts. Best time to visit is in the winter when the snakies are asleep. Still warm enough to not enough freeze your gonads off.

Regards

LUE-Hawn
    sdcfia and Oroblanco like this.

us

Feb 2018
    United States
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BoydBros View Post
    Castle Gap is further south than the Guadalupes

That is a unique set of mountains that transverse both Texas and New Mexico.

Regards

LUE-Hawn
    Oroblanco likes this.

us
    Riverbum

Jul 2011
    Colorado
    Whites
    125 times
    Artifacts
    I definitely know that WHOLE area having explored it for many years before moving to Colo. Backpacking was difficult because of all the water weight in my loads. Among the roughest areas I know from searching around. Soo easy to get lost. Its BEAUTIFUL but really dangerous. I have tried to search around the east side of the 'Lupes' but keep running into Carlsbad Cavern area and Government (NPS) property. Have run into bears up there too.
    sdcfia and LUE-Hawn like this.

us

Feb 2018
    United States
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbum View Post
    I definitely know that WHOLE area having explored it for many years before moving to Colo. Backpacking was difficult because of all the water weight in my loads. Among the roughest areas I know from searching around. Soo easy to get lost. Its BEAUTIFUL but really dangerous. I have tried to search around the east side of the 'Lupes' but keep running into Carlsbad Cavern area and Government (NPS) property. Have run into bears up there too.
    There is big cats there too. I have found their tracks and scratchings. It's no the place for the fool hardy. Its wise to take ample supplies of water and electrolytes to keep from getting dehydrated and a sturdy walking stick to negotiate the rough terrain along with a revolver that shoots shot shells. Snake chaps and thorn proof gloves are also recommended if you go when the snakeies are not asleep.

Be safe, be careful

Regards

LUE-Hawn

us
    Samantha

Apr 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    White‘s Sierra Madre White‘s TM–600
    82 times
    Cache Hunting
    Isn’t most of it in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park ? Park officials take a dim view of prospectors and detectorists.

us
    Jul 2018
    Mountains of Western Colorado
    Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Crystal ball,
    1299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanthy View Post
    Isn’t most of it in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park ? Park officials take a dim view of prospectors and detectorists.
    You have to be a Ninja do not let them catch you prospecting or thunt you will go on a list.
    Riverbum and Oroblanco like this.
    The mountains have rules.They are harsh rules,but they are there,and if you keep to them you are safe.A mountain is not like men. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exists inside you,inside your soul.

us
    Samantha

Apr 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    White‘s Sierra Madre White‘s TM–600
    82 times
    Cache Hunting
    What list is that?

us
    Jul 2018
    Mountains of Western Colorado
    Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Crystal ball,
    1299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanthy View Post
    What list is that?
    Never been contacted by a government official while hunting on federal land you will find out what the list is..
    Oroblanco likes this.
    The mountains have rules.They are harsh rules,but they are there,and if you keep to them you are safe.A mountain is not like men. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exists inside you,inside your soul.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links