Captain de Gavilan's Mine in the Sierra de las Cenizas

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Does anyone know of the general location of the rich but famous lost mine on the eastern flanks of the Guadalupe Mountains?

From what I read there was blue tellurium ore worth 200k to the ton and that 18 jack loads of gold bullion were lost before the Indian Revolt of 1680? In todays figures close to 10 million 400k. A nice chunk of change eh?

Thanks

LUE-Hawn

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello,

Does anyone know of the general location of the rich but famous lost mine on the eastern flanks of the Guadalupe Mountains?

From what I read there was blue tellurium ore worth 200k to the ton and that 18 jack loads of gold bullion were lost before the Indian Revolt of 1680? In todays figures close to 10 million 400k. A nice chunk of change eh?

Thanks

LUE-Hawn

Those are rough mountains, but it's a small range without so much ground to explore. There are several legends in there, but it seems like those hills have been searched by lots of folks in tight grids. It's a good destination, but once you're five miles away from it, you're in West Texas, which is about like being on the moon.

OP
OP
LUE-Hawn

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are rough mountains, but it's a small range without so much ground to explore. There are several legends in there, but it seems like those hills have been searched by lots of folks in tight grids. It's a good destination, but once you're five miles away from it, you're in West Texas, which is about like being on the moon.

Yes quite so, I have been along those mountains this past year and it is an unforgiving place even with water and I have pulled many a thorn out skin that pierced the legs of my double fronted carharts. Best time to visit is in the winter when the snakies are asleep. Still warm enough to not enough freeze your gonads off.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

OP
OP
LUE-Hawn

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely know that WHOLE area having explored it for many years before moving to Colo. Backpacking was difficult because of all the water weight in my loads. Among the roughest areas I know from searching around. Soo easy to get lost. Its BEAUTIFUL but really dangerous. I have tried to search around the east side of the 'Lupes' but keep running into Carlsbad Cavern area and Government (NPS) property. Have run into bears up there too.

OP
OP
LUE-Hawn

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely know that WHOLE area having explored it for many years before moving to Colo. Backpacking was difficult because of all the water weight in my loads. Among the roughest areas I know from searching around. Soo easy to get lost. Its BEAUTIFUL but really dangerous. I have tried to search around the east side of the 'Lupes' but keep running into Carlsbad Cavern area and Government (NPS) property. Have run into bears up there too.

There is big cats there too. I have found their tracks and scratchings. It's no the place for the fool hardy. Its wise to take ample supplies of water and electrolytes to keep from getting dehydrated and a sturdy walking stick to negotiate the rough terrain along with a revolver that shoots shot shells. Snake chaps and thorn proof gloves are also recommended if you go when the snakeies are not asleep.

Be safe, be careful

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Isn’t most of it in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park ? Park officials take a dim view of prospectors and detectorists.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn’t most of it in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park ? Park officials take a dim view of prospectors and detectorists.

You have to be a Ninja do not let them catch you prospecting or thunt you will go on a list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread