Capt Kidd's Treasure. Overset Island Long Island, ME. (Misspelled Oversel)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PenPilot Map Redirects me to Iceland.
Google Can't Find it.

Democratic Northwest. [volume]
(Napoleon, Ohio), 16 July 1885.

000aaa.jpg
000bbbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...xt=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=17

Clipped From The Boston Weekly Globe

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4376964/the_boston_weekly_globe/

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have a feeling that Mary Cleaves never astonished the natives.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's an Overset Island in/around Maine.

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love these stories but where does the truth of story begin and added newspaper spin ends?

Reporters always you notice will claim an alleged treasure island the inspiration for Robert Louie stevensons book treasure island. And any alleged buried treasure connected to Kidd?

It is quite possible the lady was searching for a hidden by cache by an unknown pirate?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems Doubter in MD was correct.There was typo I found out more about Mary Cleaves. She was born in 1820 by 1880 she was head of a household with 3 Daughters and one grandson. She had several lodgers with her at the time. However it was noted she was suffering in 1880 she was suffering a slow fever? What that means is any ones guess.

Buy 1885 she was prospecting on Overset Island for this alleged treasure. She would of been 65 at the time?

Did she find it? As Samanthy said perhaps not?

But I did find some thing else that might be connected???

Kanacki

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I know you guys are after the treasure, but I wanna know more about Mary's true blue 200 year old rod.

Kanacki, gimme a heads-up if you see more of Mary and her rod

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bill

Mary and her rod is classic example of rural belief system in that time and place with the growth of Mormonism and spirituality grew hand in hand. Traditionally diving had been in earliest roots of Europe then brought by early pioneers into the New world. Traditionally the rod is of hazel wood and V-shaped. In the older traditional States there had been a long tradition of buried treasure stories many fostered by wandering spiritualists flogging their alleged dreams and prophesy through the rural countryside and even in the towns itself.

In researching the census records and other records times was tough in New England Maine as whaling industry. Wooden ship building all but collapsed and supporting industries. On the land it mechanization of farming negated the need for farm laborers. Created much rural unemployment forcing many to drift to larger towns and cities seeking employment. Which in turn created over crowded unsanitary conditions with no running water and no sewage systems or electricity at the time. Most was still using whale oil lamps until superseded by kerosene.

I discovered what Mary Cleaves was suffering from ( Slow Fever ) Typhoid fever and perhaps untreated given her age and health left untreated it may of developed into encephalitis. Where confusion of cognitive skills can be severely impaired even years later complication can continue. Typhoid is virtually unknown in modern developed world. But back then in places where sewage could of seeped into drinking water such as wells can cause Typhoid Fever. Mary was 60 year old widow in 1880. She had 3 daughters and a grandson to support. And it appears her only income was taking in lodgers inter her home. So its not inconceivable she caught Typhoid Fever off one of her lodgers as Typhoid Fever is contagious.

However its seemed she survived and by 1885 she as per newspaper article with her divining rod was searching for buried treasure?

The rural eastern states went went through a great period of change due industrialization and collapse of local industries where people were eager and susceptible to such stories. In fact many such legends evolve from the desire to escape poverty. ( Not just in America but all around the world) That is why the 1930's great depression for example newspapers was full of treasure stories.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should also add while stories like this will hardly if at all lead to buried treasure. Its is still very interesting as it gives us clues in what to look for in context of how such stories developed.

So in its own way a treasure in itself perhaps?

Kanacki

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hi Kanacki,

I believe it is understood that gold activity picks up with a severe economic downturn, though the cycle is multigenerational. Despite the recent price boost, activity would seen to be in the doldrums; indeed discouraged (older ?) members are selling their prospecting 'rigs'. The low prices offered imply a lack of confidence and could/might indicate a 'bottom' ? As the general public is always wrong . . . . . .
Following this hypothesis gold should rise strongly in the near future.
lol

I am not done discussing the historical LRL rods, but am in the midst of sanding and revarnishing and sanding and

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of overset island.

overset island.JPG

Today its a private island with a modern home on it.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a GE view of the island. You will notice a tidal link to shore of long island. The northwest side of the island is protected and south eastern side is smashed by Atlantic swells.

overset island GE.JPG

Mary cleaves was allegedly searching for a flat rock with the alleged letter C on it according to the newspaper. As you can see on on the sheltered north western side of the island there is a lot of scree. Being a skipper of a brig for many years after seeing mackaydon's link to a map reading depth of water it could given right weather conditions provide shelter for a small sailing ship.

Do to era could possible fairly remote from prying eyes in the past. With a shelter and a scree beach protected from prying eyes. Its not impossible that some time in the past a seaman involved nefarious activities buried a treasure cache that for one reason or another returned for?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to consider is We are not 100% sure what the Mary said and reporter wrote was the same thing in 1885?

Kanacki

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks All for Straightening this one out :coffee2:

Editor must have went to Spelling Class with Me, While playing Hooky :icon_thumright:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a more close up view of North Western side,

OVERSET ISLAND GE2.JPG

As you can see scree scattered along the shore. One thing the paper mentioned Mary found a large rock with the Letter C?

To me this is interesting as there is another story telling about a treasure recovery a few decades later. Which claims coins and gold cross with gems was discovered on a flats slab of rock on the shore of island in Maine.

Are the two stories connected? The answer might be found tracing the fate of Mary Cleaves's daughters?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm its late I have more to show on this story.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all my apologies I have unintentional led you astray.

Its one of dangers of research archival records. In fact there was 19 Mary Cleaves listed in the records. However through a process of elimination as per newspaper comments that claimed Mary Cleaves was middle aged in 1885? Only 2 was in the right age Group and both had a connection with Maine. The others was teenage age in the 20's or children in 1885.

The first one I focus on the was the widow in 1880 Census with fever who had 3 daughters one a book keeper another a teacher and another one with a child. That Mary Cleave had 5 lodgers at anyone time in a house in Boston. Some where sailors boarding with her.

She seemed the most likely suspect of being Mary Cleaves of the 1885 newspaper story?

The second one Mary Cleaves aged 60 lived on a farm bordering on Vermont. She was a widow to a Daniel Cleaves and they had one son.

So between the two the most likely suspect I thought at the time was the Mary Cleaves of Boston with the boarding house.

However I was wrong. However it is is easy to misinterpret information so that is why you should always re evaluate information coming in.

With newer information coming in with extra information it gave clues to the real Mary cleaves who was the one living on the farm.

Sit tight my friends. There is more to this story. In fact 2 stories connected but part of the same story.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread