What is this and where is it from? And what's the worth?

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an authentic 'eBay relic'.

That the artist/fabricator tried to make it more esoteric looking by copying the Viking 'helm of awe' rune sort of gives it away.

At least they changed the lettering to hebrew......

View attachment 1796661

Hello Freeman

My apologies I need a new pair of glasses. Indeed I think your correct. Here is old document helm of awe.

Helm-of-Awe-book.jpg

Screenshot_20200123-202450_WhatsApp.jpg

kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the same style evidently copied from the Samaritan Jewish offshoot.

samaritans-dsc_0100_custom-059030b5354070df820f93e016c5a5266d2fc5ff-s1300-c85.jpg

Screenshot_20200123-202536_WhatsApp.jpg

Of course the article BillA alludes to production of fake antiquities.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just goes to show there is as much illicit antiquities market as well as fake antiquities market.

Kanacki

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an authentic 'eBay relic'.

That the artist/fabricator tried to make it more esoteric looking by copying the Viking 'helm of awe' rune sort of gives it away.

At least they changed the lettering to hebrew......

View attachment 1796661

Excellent work Freeman!

Chub

OP
OP
Y

Yasin1

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much really help me understand look like risky touch this object

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Just curiosity , so the trail leads to Great Britain , into possibly one of two collectors , who have since passed , and the poster is from London?
Yet , what has been posted & a potential of fake? Had poster been from anywhere else , hmmm ok , but , still. (1 small grain ....)
Sounds like a little more information would need to be given , if anything further could be determined , no? Up to the poster I guess. All seems intriguing & unanswered to me.
Bananas

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
they are copies
they are all copies
copies of copies, some 'better', some older

from the info given by several posters, it is apparent that no effort is warranted in the investigation
modern stuff for sale, there is a lot of it

OP
OP
Y

Yasin1

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Yasin1

What you have is a Jewish Torah. A Torah scroll, in Hebrew Sefer Torah. It is a handwritten copy of the Torah, meaning: of the Pentateuch, or the five books of Moses (the first books of the Hebrew Bible). It must meet extremely strict standards of production. The Torah scroll is mainly used in the ritual of Torah reading during Jewish prayers. At other times, it is stored in the holiest spot within a synagogue, the Torah ark, which is usually an ornate curtained-off cabinet or section of the synagogue built along the wall that most closely faces Jerusalem, the direction Jews face when praying. In this case a copper case as in the picture above. You can see blue greenish oxidation of copper on the cabinate.

There are only two types of kosher parchment allowed for a Torah scroll: gevil and klaf The three types of specially processed animal skin or parchment that can be used are: gevil (a full, un-split animal hide)

klaf and duchsustos, the latter two being one half of a split animal hide; arguably either the inner layer (adjacent to the flesh), or the outer layer (on which the hair grows).However, a Torah scroll written on duchsustos is not kosher. These are Hebrew words to describe different types of parchment, although the term duchsustos is Greek.

These are used for the production of a mezuzah (religious text affixed to the doorpost), megillah (one of five texts from biblical "Writings"), tefillin (phylacteries), and/or a Torah scroll (sefer Torah).A kosher Torah scroll should be written on gevil. If klaf is used in place of gevil, the Torah scroll is still kosher, The use of gevil and certain types of parchment has allowed some Torah scrolls of antiquity to survive intact for over 800 years. So it cannot be older than 800 years. Which would give a date from the 12th century on wards.

The calfskin or parchment on which the sacred Hebrew text is written is mounted into a wooden housing called "Tree of Life" Clearly from the way you holding the parchment you are not Jewish. Because they will normally hold by the ends of wooden housing. Tree of life. Touching the parchment is violating the purity of the document In the parchment you will see a highly symbolic image of seven branches representing the 7 tribes of Israel on a visual interpretation of the tree of life this confirms it is scroll of 1st part of the 5 books of Moses.

Looking at scroll is appears to be of Samaritan origin?

The Samaritans are adherents of Samaritanism, a religion closely related to Judaism. Samaritans believe that their worship, which is based on the Samaritan Pentateuch is the true religion of the ancient Israelites from before the Babylonian captivity, preserved by those who remained in the Land of Israel, as opposed to Judaism, which they see as a related but altered and amended religion, brought back by those returning from the Babylonian Captivity. The Samaritans believe that Mount Gerizim was the original Holy Place of Israel from the time that Joshua conquered Canaan. The major issue between Jews and Samaritans has always been the location of the Chosen Place to worship God: The Temple Mount of Moriah in Jerusalem according to Judaism or Mount Gerizim according to Samaritanism.

by the mid–Middle Ages, Benjamin of Tudela estimated only around 1,900 Samaritans remained in Palestine and Syria That aside a community still exists in Israel today. How given that a design style material used a more accurate date would of the artifact would be be between 1380 1480.

Now the problem you might have is establishing Provence of the artifact you Have. Two Torah and the cabinates that housed them was stolen in 1995 from Israel. The investigative trail went to London to which it was alleged to have have fallen into hands of one or two collectors. They have since passed away and their collections was dispersed.

So you may indeed have an ancient medieval artifact you have a problem of Provence. Without Provence all the major auction houses will not touch it.Thus the artifact will not command the high price it deserves. As they have come under political pressure from dealing with artifacts with no proven Provence. So without Provence its value is not as much as it should be.

I hope this has been of some help.

Kanacki

It is not mine, I dont have it. It was sent to me from a person in Cyprus. I don't know if it's fake or not, I was just wondering what it was. Thank you everyone for the help if you have any other information comment below.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread