Gold of Carre-Shinob

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Mormons lie about everything. I was one and have family that still is. The entire religion was built on lies. So my guess is, its a lie!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Mormons lie about everything. I was one and have family that still is. The entire religion was built on lies. So my guess is, its a lie!

How refreshing some one will to tell it like it is..........

Crow

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to be honest NOW! I aint a Mormon any more

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004

Like any significant treasure or lost mine story (LDM, Adams, Victorio Peak, etc.) this one has its faithful believers and folks that are similarly convinced that it's a hoax. I can't get that link to work on my computer, so I can only speak of what I know broadly about the mine(s)...the fact that there are multiple locations only makes the story more difficult to make sense of.

The stories have more or less stated, Thomas Rhoades was given the opportunity to gather gold from an Indian site by Chief Walker (spelled many variations) of the Utes, on who's territory the mine was located. Some have speculated the "Carre Shinob" was a mine, others a cache site from earlier Spanish activities, and some would suggest it was both (and perhaps more). Thomas Rhoades dealings in mining and the Natives, eventually led him to a number of maps from a massacred Mexican mining group. While Thomas was only permitted to access gold from the Carre Shinob for the Mormons, the maps provided new avenues for gold that he could gather for himself. This new proliferation of locations is why you frequently heard of the Lost Rhoades MineS. As in more than one.

For many the biggest evidence in favor of the Carre Shib Ob specifically, would relate to the state of Mormon affairs. When they arrived in the Salt Lake Valley, the combined cash on hand for all the pioneers was reported to be less than $100. Within a year they were minting their own coins. Mormon gold was also considered to be "light", as in impure...with concentrations of silver and copper (I believe) in similar amounts to Spanish gold from the area that had been smelted into bars at the mines before being transported south. Thomas' time to collect and return with the gold suggested he didn't have time to mine it, which has led many to speculate he was recovering smelted gold from a cache site. There's nothing in the records to suggest the Mormon Mint was refining the gold either, so the idea that he was bringing in raw gold seems an unlikely one.

Thomas Rhoades would pass on his information to his son Caleb, who continued to access the Carre Shin Ob on behalf of the church, while also seeking and discovering his own claims through his father's maps and his own prospecting endeavors. Eventually Caleb was denied access to the Carre Shin Ob but continued to work some of his own claims. This would be complicated later when the Ute Reservation boundary was established and left Caleb unable to access the mine(s) he had been working. Prior to his death a great effort was made by Caleb to negotiate with the Ute tribe to access his mine, but his efforts were thwarted by rivals with more significant political clout who falsely believed they could find and exploit Caleb's mines. They never found them and Caleb died before he could finalize negotiations.

The newspapers form the 1890s to 1920s are replete with references to searches for these mines. Much has been written in the past 50 years as well. The body of literature is quite exhaustive, but varies in quality from "Reasonable and Interesting" to "What's this guy smoking?"

Keep in mind the Mormon Church as a body, has made none of these claims, and to the best of my knowledge takes no official position on the stories or the mines as a part of their pioneer heritage.

Hope we can keep this civil guys...this is a place to discuss treasure, not bash people's faith.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Here's a list of books on the Rhoades Mines, I haven't updated it recently but I don't think it's missing anything significant...

[FONT=&quot]Books Specific to the Rhoades Mines:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1971: Footprints in the Wilderness (Original) – Gale Rhoades and Kerry Ross Boren[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1980: Footprints in the Wilderness (Reprint) - Gale Rhoades and Kerry Ross Boren[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1985: La Mina Del Yutas – Stephen B. Shaffer **[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1991: Faded Footprints (Original Edition) - Gorge A. Thompson[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1994: Guide to the Lost Rhoades Gold Mines – A.C. Wilkerson **[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1994: Of Men and Gold – Stephen B. Shaffer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1995: Lost Gold of the Uintah – Gale Rhoades[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1996: Faded Footprints (Revised Edition) – George A. Thompson[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1998: The Gold of the Carre-Shinob – Kerry Ross Boren and Lisa Lee Boren[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1999: X marks the Spot - Robert Gifford **[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2002: The Utah Gold Rush – Kerry Ross Boren and Lisa Lee Boren[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2005: Out of the Dust – Stephen B. Shaffer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2007: Following the Legends – Dale R. Bascom[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2013: The Treasures of Utah - Dan Lowe [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2013: Of Men and Gold (Revised Edition) – Stephen B. Shaffer

[/FONT]
[FONT=google sans, sans-serif, Roboto]** Books with this designation have been independently published and can be difficult to locate using traditional book searches. [/FONT]

[FONT=google sans, sans-serif, Roboto]"Footprints in the Wilderness" is your "gold standard" copies are expensive and frequently difficult to find though. If you're serious about researching the mines, you can't really do so without this book.[/FONT]

[FONT=google sans, sans-serif, Roboto]"Faded Footprints" is a pretty solid research tool, much easier to come by. I'd recommend the revised addition as it's easier to find and has a lot more information. Potential downside there is it's a broadly-focused book on Utah treasures, so only a portion of the material is going to appeal to someone really focused on finding information on the Rhoades Mines.

"Guide to the Lost Rhoades Gold Mines" is probably my favorite, also probably one of the three hardest on this list to come by. It was independently published, published in low quantities, and I don't believe it's held in any library that I'm aware of. Neat book written by a man who lived in the heart of Rhoades Mines territory. He just wrote what he knew with little effort I can tell to embellish. He wrote because he wanted to share, not to make a name or a fortune...and it shows.

"Following the Legends" Is also easy to come by and I can speak personally of the nature and integrity of the man who wrote it. Worth your time and money.
[/FONT]

[FONT=google sans, sans-serif, Roboto]Anything on the list by Steve Shaffer is an interesting read, but his focus was never on the Rhoades Mines much less the Carre Shin Ob. He does a good job sharing research and his revised edition of "Of Men and Gold" is easy to come by. That's essentially two books in one as it deals primarily with the mine on Hoyt Peak (a possible Caleb Rhoades mine?) but also has a significant portion of the book dedicated to treasure signs and interpretation of said signs.[/FONT]

OP
OP
D

Ddiamond Digger

Oct 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool info thanks.
Just surprised no one here has made the effort to look for these mines.
The technology is here The Rover UC will uncover any covered tunnels etc.
You just have to walk over it.
DD

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Cool info thanks.
Just surprised no one here has made the effort to look for these mines.
The technology is here The Rover UC will uncover any covered tunnels etc.
You just have to walk over it.
DD

Many have made the effort...before those technologies were available.

Truth is any significant mine related to the Rhoades, particularly the Carre Shin Ob, rests squarely on the Ute Reservation and they have the final say over who does what, and under what circumstances.

OP
OP
D

Ddiamond Digger

Oct 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sitting on the possibility of one or more gold mines and or stashes of gold is one thing.
However imagine the advancement exploitation of the mines can bring to the Ute people.
The possibilities are endless, it can create a totally new economic boom for these people.
Surely they have moved on like everyone else and left most superstitions behind them?
I can see wonderful things happening for the Ute nation when they decide to open the mines.
I sincerely hope they do.
DD

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sitting on the possibility of one or more gold mines and or stashes of gold is one thing.
However imagine the advancement exploitation of the mines can bring to the Ute people.
The possibilities are endless, it can create a totally new economic boom for these people.
Surely they have moved on like everyone else and left most superstitions behind them?
I can see wonderful things happening for the Ute nation when they decide to open the mines.
I sincerely hope they do.
DD

The Utes can't benefit from the mines exploitation, because the mines are off the todays reservation boundaries. They were within the old boundaries.
Only someone who knows to " read " old Spanish maps, would be able to find the lost mines. Luck and Natives are variants without future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread