2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, My Father had a bike shop in the 60's when I was young. Cycles a Go Go. I worked on and rode Triumph, BSA, Suzuki, Honda, Norton, first bike I rode was a 50cc Harley!

I came out here in 1979 with what I thought was a Royal Enfield and while cleaning it one day the emblem fell off and it had engraved in the chrome case "Thunderbird"!

It was a 650 Thunderbird 1955 titled as a Royal Enfield!

Damn thing was all chrome even the frame I never knew it until I cleaned the chicken crap off of it.

Bought it out of a Chicken Coupe in Missouri.

It was a pre-unit with a dry clutch.

Just got rid of a custom chop 1999 Sporty Custom special construction.

Damn Hard tail couldn't ride to far but boy it was quick.

Havillah

May 22, 2005
San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Money Hunter TR;
Garrett GTP-1350;
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... back to the subject of Jesuits and mining.

Down here in the Aztec Republic, we are taught in grade school that the Jesuits were expelled from Mexico in 1767. In addition, we were taught that the Jesuits (European) would take all the gold/silver/etc. that they could, before they would demolish and disguise the entrances to their mines. Of course, the story also includes the murders of any Mexican and Indian mine workers who would know of the existence of these mines.

During the mining process, the king of Spain would receive a fifth of all proceeds, with the rest going to Rome.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
So... back to the subject of Jesuits and mining.

Down here in the Aztec Republic, we are taught in grade school that the Jesuits were expelled from Mexico in 1767. In addition, we were taught that the Jesuits (European) would take all the gold/silver/etc. that they could, before they would demolish and disguise the entrances to their mines. Of course, the story also includes the murders of any Mexican and Indian mine workers who would know of the existence of these mines.

During the mining process, the king of Spain would receive a fifth of all proceeds, with the rest going to Rome.

Today we have a regular whitewash campaign on the Jesuits, denying they ever had any mines, or treasures, nor slaves, nor enslaved the Indians etc. This campaign has been largely successful, even inducing the US Park Service to remove their excellent displays at Tumacacori on the mining activities. Now our skeptics can point to the many modern historians who deny there was any Jesuit mining activity and demand extreme forms of proof.

Havillah

May 22, 2005
San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Money Hunter TR;
Garrett GTP-1350;
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp!

Have any of you read any of the late Charles Kenworthy's books on hidden signs and symbols used by the Spaniards so that their people could spot the mines from several miles away?

Our town is right on the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (the Royal Inland Road), which is the route the gold and silver took. I am less than three miles from a castle built by Hernán Cortes in 1519, when mother-in-laws were young and beautiful. (See it here: http://www.queretaro.travel/uploads/imagenes/6_36_1305518398_130LlaveExt.jpg) Yes: I would LOVE to metal detect there, but sadly, it is now headquarters for some soldiers.

Check out some of our sites here: Haciendas :: San Juan del Río :: Histórico :: Estado de Querétaro

FEMF

Sep 10, 2009
I agree Springfield - rather peculiar that de Niza's story held such interest, and so far away at that.

Another interesting character in this period is the ex-governor of NM Don Diego de Peñalosa. His efforts to induce France to invade and conquer NM (including his tale of having journeyed to Quivira with 80 men) along with La Salle's plan to build a fort in Texas, possibly as a launching base for an overland trek by an army (not many years after Marquette's expedition) get lost in the history. Actually it is a little surprising that more treasure hunters are not interested in New Mexico, but I guess Arizona gets all the publicity.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Hello Roy
Can you or anyone tell us where Marcos de Niza's grave is located. Thanks again Roy.
Take care & be safe. FEMF

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hello Roy
Can you or anyone tell us where Marcos de Niza's grave is located. Thanks again Roy.
Take care & be safe. FEMF

No I sure do not know - anyone have the answer to this one?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fray Marcos was buried at the Convento Gulande de San Francisco, Mexico City in 1558.
He was 63 yrs old.

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp!

Have any of you read any of the late Charles Kenworthy's books on hidden signs and symbols used by the Spaniards so that their people could spot the mines from several miles away?

Our town is right on the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (the Royal Inland Road), which is the route the gold and silver took. I am less than three miles from a castle built by Hernán Cortes in 1519, when mother-in-laws were young and beautiful. (See it here: http://www.queretaro.travel/uploads/imagenes/6_36_1305518398_130LlaveExt.jpg) Yes: I would LOVE to metal detect there, but sadly, it is now headquarters for some soldiers.

Check out some of our sites here: Haciendas :: San Juan del Río :: Histórico :: Estado de Querétaro

At one time we lived fairly near the north end of El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro.
Where we lived was also near the center of the Pueblo Revolt of 1680.
Cleanse the land of the Spanish ever being there is what Po'Pay had everyone do.
They did a fine job.

I was talking to a young man several years back about hearts carved out of rocks.
He told us that he had seen an area near the Caballo Mts. in New Mexico where the ground
was littered with hundreds of hearts carved from different type rocks.

Maybe dumped there?

We found this on top of a massive rock (100' high x 500' long).

hurt.JPG

If you can get to it and look through the hole, you will see a gold mine "Discovered" circa 1900.
Using the information in Charles Kenworthy's books, it's right where it should be.
This one is about 400 miles west of El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro.

We would all enjoy seeing photos of your area.
From what little I have read, the Pueblo Revolt only went as far south as El Paso del Norte.

AJones

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AJ, I am from Almos, southern Sonora, not much help.

Quite the contrary. I have learned much from your photos.
One you posted had a word written on it I had to Google.

Huerta

I always thought it was only a surname. Now I know better.
I even found one out in the wilds in one godawful place.
Happens to be the surname of a good friend of mine.
Thanks

AJones

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone...
I have been following trails for the past couple of decades, (I haven't became rich yet, but still keep dreaming). My question is: How do I discern weather the monuments, marks, blazes, etc. are Spanish or Jesuit? As I have found certain marks that I am told are Jesuit in nature. Thanks in advance for any help,
Rock

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....I have a burning question that is driving me crazy.....I have dated a site, (through tree ring counts, lichenology, etc.), that places them before 1660. There is no doubt about this dating,( I don't want to get in to my proofs here as I do not want to derail my question). The sites I speak of are in central Nevada, and along the upper Utah / Nevada stateline. Nuff said about that.
My question....Can anyone tell me of any documents or other that can tell me who were the occupiers of this land from 1600 on? Has anyone else here seen signs that are from this period this far north, and if so, are they Spanish, French, Jesuit, or?
How early were the Spanish or Jesuits this far north? I have seen nothing that can explain these sites on Tnet or anywhere else for that matter.
This is truly driving me crazy!

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
So....I have a burning question that is driving me crazy.....I have dated a site, (through tree ring counts, lichenology, etc.), that places them before 1660. There is no doubt about this dating,( I don't want to get in to my proofs here as I do not want to derail my question). The sites I speak of are in central Nevada, and along the upper Utah / Nevada stateline. Nuff said about that.
My question....Can anyone tell me of any documents or other that can tell me who were the occupiers of this land from 1600 on? Has anyone else here seen signs that are from this period this far north, and if so, are they Spanish, French, Jesuit, or?
How early were the Spanish or Jesuits this far north? I have seen nothing that can explain these sites on Tnet or anywhere else for that matter.

bonuntr,

You should get in touch with Randy Bradford through this site:Aztec Gold

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hi everyone...
I have been following trails for the past couple of decades, (I haven't became rich yet, but still keep dreaming). My question is: How do I discern weather the monuments, marks, blazes, etc. are Spanish or Jesuit? As I have found certain marks that I am told are Jesuit in nature. Thanks in advance for any help,
Rock

That is not an easy question. If you found something clearly linked to the Jesuits, like a prominent IHS, that would be easy. Unfortunately the Spanish were using much the same symbolism as the priests, as they were all Catholic.

Bonuntr also wrote

I do not know of any Spanish explorer to have entered any part of Nevada prior to father Garces, which I think was 1770s period, and do not know of any that went into the central part of Nevada. The whole west of the continent was of course under the greedy gaze of Spain, France, Britain and even Russia, with more un-documented expeditions than documented so anything is possible. I don't know of any Jesuit that explored that far north, and certainly not that early in time. I would suggest much more investigation at the site, along with research on any documents. Most of Nevada was very much terra incognita for a very long time, and was believed to have been barren. Keep an open mind and open eyes, the truth will be known eventually as to what you have found. I hope you will keep us posted.

Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2:

KXMember

Dec 19, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
OKM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Late 1400's to early 1500's

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
PS - WHOOPS I forgot another one of the European powers that were eyeing the American west and especially the southwest, the Dutch. They were intriguing with the Jesuits to seize the whole of Spanish America, which the 1767 expulsion of the Jesuits must have pre-empted or it misfired. The Dutch did seize a major island in Chile, but left after some treachery from the natives, and had also conquered large areas of Brazil. Anyway Dutch privateers or pirates were definitely operating off the Pacific coast and must have gone ashore at some places to replenish fresh water, firewood etc. I don't know of any Dutch explorer entering central Nevada, but who knows? So anyway that list should have been Spanish, French, English, DUTCH, and Russians, besides the USA all were looking to grab the western part of N America and especially the southwest for the famous silver mines. Sorry about that oversight!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread