Dutch Shultz Catskills cipher treasure map

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The FBI documents are really poor quality so its hard to make out much. FBI Records: The Vault — Arthur Flegenheimer (Dutch Schultz)Looks like the FBI were trying to find Schultz as soon as he became public enemy #1 in January 1933, and went on the lam until turning himself in November 1934 in Albany NY. So Schultz had evaded the FED's for almost 2 years, no doubt planning with lawyers to let things cool down and do whatever he could to be acquitted, first changing the venue of the trial to Malone NY where he could jury tamper.

Citiboy: Great insight. I agree, a very long trip to Phoenicia to bury loot. I think Schultz moved around a lot at night during his lam and had a lot of time. A purported hangout in Bridgeport CT and possibly other hangouts elsewhere in Perth Amboy NJ and on Klein Island on the Seneca River. I think the most compelling evidence is the "1934" on the tree Gab found in his 3 year research.

Last edited:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Kudos fellow TH.
I'd say for sure there was a tree with "1934" carved on it, and a resting place for Schultz' $7MIL-$9MIL Treasure buried beneath it.
And that it had been recovered, but I would say that he himself had recovered it.
Don't forget, he buried it because he thought he was going to prison, so that when he got out he would have something to fall back on.
But in a moment that snapped him out of his delirium or incoherent deathbed ramblings, into complete consciousness, he directly answered a question as to why he was shot:
"For $1MIL, $5MIL".
So that legendary amount of $7-9MIL had now been dwindled to $5MIL, which indicates to me that he may have recovered some of it ($1-2MIL).
Don't forget he needed money to:
1. "Jury tamper" in Albany
2. Bribe the people of Bridgeport CT--
It was written that he tipped in the amount of $100 bills every time he had a meal in Bridgeport-- That alone amounted to:
5 months (Apr 30-Sept 24 1935) x30 days x 3 meals a day x $100 tip per meal = $45,000 for him, Lulu, and perhaps a few other henchmen and dinner companions?
3. His 5 month Hotel Suite at the Stratfield, for him and Lulu,
4. Plus making donations to the town, etc.
5. To pay his mounting legal fees ( a big expense from what I understand)

But if he recovered the box, does that mean he would place it back in the same resting place?
Not if Lulu makes a confession to him about drawing a map and giving it to MK?
But I'd say Schultz was smart enough to know that secret already?
So, my contention is that he needed a new resting place, swearing Lulu to secrecy again, and reinterred it somewhere else in the area?
I don't think he would go too far, and also contend that he would select a more remote (out of town) and more dry resting place with easier access to the box?
He wasn't "out of the woods yet" and still feared going to prison, so he still needed the nest-egg?

This is why the Old Timer's claim to have first hand knowledge of seeing Dutch and Lulu at the Phoenicia Hotel 1PM on Oct 23, 1935, then returning to town at 3pm seems credible to me?
And his trip up the Route 214 for a 2 hour excursion can mean only one thing in my opinion:
To make a withdrawal, as I presume he probably had already found a resting place for it on another pervious trip at NIGHT when he dug it up.
So I don't think the Old Timer's account of reinterring his Treasure in broad daylight beneath Devil's face is accurate.
I'm thinking a road off Route 214 into the hills somewhere maybe 30-45 minutes from town and a place that he well knew of.
Of course, I think this "new" secret resting place died with him and Lulu.

Last edited:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Dear fellow TH. Fellow TH Gabnn3 3 years research of topo maps, did not lead him to Phoenicia, but to Boiceville, about 6 miles to the South of Phoenicia. While this may not seem to be of any real significance, all legend and books cite Phoenicia as the location of Schultz' buried Treasure. But clearly its in Boiceville, not Phoenicia. So why the error? My theory is that Gabnn3 did find the first interment site of the Treasure, but that it was removed from that location by Schultz and reinterred near Phoenicia. This is where I believe the confusion came in. Note that Boiceville is the town first reached on Route 28, so there really should never have been any mention about Phoenicia at all in this story, if that location in Boiceville was the final resting place of the loot, without any 2nd interment.
attachment.php

Attachments

• distance_2.png
    distance_2.png
    966.7 KB · Views: 195

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Doing some further research on the two TH from Canada, Steve Zazulyk and Ryan Fazekas:
Gangster Dutch Schultz’s $150 million treasure is supposedly buried in New York (theworldnews.net)
They purportedly found two 1903 $10D Gold coins alongside Stoney Clove Creek near Phoenicia.
Of course, Stoney Clove Creek runs alongside Route 214, where one Old Timer in Phoenicia is on record
as saying that's the Route Dutch Schultz and Lulu R. took after they left the Phoenicia Hotel around 1PM
on Oct 23, 1935, after eating lunch.
If this is indeed part of the Schultz Treasure, then it tells us that he did in fact reinter it at another location,
somewhere off Route 214.
They purportedly have a PI Bruce Alterman, their Director and her Brother, Elizabeth and Tim Trojian,
who owns property in the Catskills and whose grandfather knew Schultz and worked for him.
They believe the coins are breadcrumbs to the box.
Of course if the two coins are part of the Treasure, it tells me that the box was compromised and could
have come from somewhere further upstream, possibly miles?
I just don't personally think that Schultz would have buried it near a stream again, on the second interment?
But who knows for sure?

attachment.php

Attachments

• stoney_clove.png
    stoney_clove.png
    515.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey thanks for the detailed map. And highlights. Really brings back memories from when I would hang out there

Citiboy
Hey on older maps (1903 Topo) it looks like there was once a rail bed or Train tracks (DW R.R.)
running alongside the 214?
It doesn't show up on current maps at all.
Did you notice that when you were up there back in the day?
Thanks
attachment.php

Attachments

• DWRR.png
    DWRR.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm not sure if this is one of their $10D Gold coin finds with its location, but just putting it out there. They purported finding two of them near Stoney Clove Creek.

attachment.php

Attachments

• gold_coin.png
    gold_coin.png
    668 KB · Views: 181

twilhelmsen

Apr 4, 2022
I'm not sure if this is one of their $10D Gold coin finds with its location, but just putting it out there. They purported finding two of them near Stoney Clove Creek.

attachment.php
I actually found the exact spot where they supposedly found those 2 coins. I've checked all around there and haven't found a thing. Also, if they really found something, why haven't they been back? Here's the location to anyone wanting to check it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220404-192846_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220404-192846_Maps.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 87

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Citiboy
Hey on older maps (1903 Topo) it looks like there was once a rail bed or Train tracks (DW R.R.)
running alongside the 214?
It doesn't show up on current maps at all.
Did you notice that when you were up there back in the day?
Thanks
attachment.php
Love that map!

massey631

Apr 25, 2022
Dutch Shultz Catskills cipher original map is an interesting subject which most don’t understand. It is a cipher map that will lead you to the area of where he buried the treasure. He made this map by studying other historical record maps. Like in most maps the hidden information is located in the upper or lower edges. The symbolic clues on this map are located on the lower right section of the map. There are three symbols which are a circle with a cross and a point mark. The descriptive symbolic meaning describes the large circle in the center of the map to be the area of focus. The cross symbolizes a cross road or a cross that sits slightly of north exactly the way the town roads are angle which you will find close to the center of the large circle. This cross symbol is used to define two clues on this map. The first is to find the cross road and the second is to find the church which is located on this cross road. The point mark symbol will define the area of the cross where the church is located as well as the spot where Dutch buried the treasure. The area of concern is not that big to investigate and if you know your angle of direction you shouldn’t have a problem locating the spot where the treasure was initially buried. It’s what I do, I decipher treasure maps.

Dutch Shultz Catskills cipher original map is an interesting subject which most don’t understand. It is a cipher map that will lead you to the area of where he buried the treasure. He made this map by studying other historical record maps. Like in most maps the hidden information is located in the upper or lower edges. The symbolic clues on this map are located on the lower right section of the map. There are three symbols which are a circle with a cross and a point mark. The descriptive symbolic meaning describes the large circle in the center of the map to be the area of focus. The cross symbolizes a cross road or a cross that sits slightly of north exactly the way the town roads are angle which you will find close to the center of the large circle. This cross symbol is used to define two clues on this map. The first is to find the cross road and the second is to find the church which is located on this cross road. The point mark symbol will define the area of the cross where the church is located as well as the spot where Dutch buried the treasure. The area of concern is not that big to investigate and if you know your angle of direction you shouldn’t have a problem locating the spot where the treasure was initially buried. It’s what I do, I decipher treasure maps.
Tonight I learned that there are tunnels underneith the town of Phoenicia. Are they related to the Dutch Schultz's treasure? Not much documentation is on these Tunnels. Does anyone know more about them? It kind of adds a new twist to this Treasure hunt. I mean why would Dutch go to Phoenicia to hide a Trunk of money when all he had to do was hide it underneith the floor boards of his house or the Chop House. This kind of thought has always made me wonder who was the real resignator of the Dutch Schultz Treasure story and who wrote it? I've never seen the real map before. What happend to it?

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight I learned that there are tunnels underneith the town of Phoenicia. Are they related to the Dutch Schultz's treasure? Not much documentation is on these Tunnels. Does anyone know more about them? It kind of adds a new twist to this Treasure hunt. I mean why would Dutch go to Phoenicia to hide a Trunk of money when all he had to do was hide it underneith the floor boards of his house or the Chop House. This kind of thought has always made me wonder who was the real resignator of the Dutch Schultz Treasure story and who wrote it? I've never seen the real map before. What happend to it?
I like the story since it’s tied to NY.

He probably didn’t want to hide it in the places you mentioned in case it was raided by cops/feds.

Maybe it’s up there in Phoenicia and maybe it’s not. There’s literally a billion places it can be hidden. I think that’s the problem. This guy literally was all over the tristate area.

It has been documented which makes it real in my opinion. What I find interesting in what I have read are the $1000 bills and diamonds that were supposedly in the box. These items couldn’t be used easily without setting off some suspicions. Perhaps they weren’t used and stayed in the box along with the bonds.

Also, I read in one place that the box was watertight. Why would he want it constructed like that unless it was in or around water? Possibly to keep it dry from rain if buried? Maybe he threw it down a well somewhere.

IMHO this guy had a stash somewhere. He went on the lam once. I’m sure if he couldn’t buy his way out of trouble he wanted to be sure he had the cash to do it again.

I’m guessing everyone involved is dead at this point and clues are just that. I hope someone finds it. Would make a great story.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I actually found the exact spot where they supposedly found those 2 coins. I've checked all around there and haven't found a thing. Also, if they really found something, why haven't they been back? Here's the location to anyone wanting to check it out.
Thanks for the research twilhelmsen and pic! This spot looks very promising, especially if there is a Notch Inn there that dates back to the 1900's? That makes for a good landmark.

I think those two TH's probably covered that area with a fine-tooth comb after they found those gold coins there.

The question is, if those coins were in fact part of the loot, then where's the rest? Being that the coins were found in or near the creek indicates that the box was most likely buried near the creek and over time possibly became degraded (rusted out) by flooding conditions, which caused some of the smaller treasure to escape and wash downstream? If water got in that box, we can expect the money and T bonds to be badly degraded/decomposed by now.

Keep searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions