$48 Million In Chinese Gold

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I had the opportunity to purchase someone's old diaries (1949-1977) recently. As I started to read through them, I noticed several types of "treasure" entries. (I'll post them as I find them.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This probably isn't a legend, until you try to find the location of the gold right now.

On (or about) January 14, 1950, seven US DC4 aircraft flew $48 million dollars worth of gold from China out of Japan, by way of Alaska, then to New York. [Some accounts list the shipment as 48 tons of gold (instead of $$).]

This can easily demonstrate that modern-day "fact" can quickly become "legend" when confusion exists over "tons" versus "dollars". Which was it? 48 tons or 48 million dollars?

The reason for the gold movement was listed as US assistance to Nationalist China.

Now for the big question: Where's Waldo?

I have googled for further info, with no luck.

Did the US give the gold back? :)

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Is there some sort of question here? It was a gold shipment. It wasn't lost. It wasn't stolen. It was simply delivered. If going to new york, it most likely went into the federal reserve which houses gold from several nations for the purposes of doing business with one another.

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
allen_idaho said:
Is there some sort of question here?

Aside from: What does it really matter?

I've got a lot of questions. The implied question from my post is:

Which is it? 48 tons of gold, or $48 million dollars worth of gold?

Another question is: Where is the gold right now?

I've got more questions...

Hey Idaho, maybe it would help you to understand the question if I were talking about 48 tons of 'taters? ;D

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Bob,
I agree there,
48 tons is a lot.
finding a place to hide such a large amount would be the trick.

Just for the record 48 tons of "taters" is about one and a half semi trailers FULL.

OD

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
You got it, OD.

These "legends" somehow always seem to get confused between dollar amounts, physical weight or number of pieces...

and it's never correct in the reported distribution (i.e.- 12 troy oz = 1 pound = 12 coins, etc).

Oh well! Such is the life of someone hunting treasure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread