Licking,Texas County,Missouri

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
From Goodspeeds.....1889 The Indians continued to visit the country in the fall and winter, long after the settlements of the pale-faces had rendered it too crowded to be congenial to their taste. It is believed by the more credulous old settlers that they still return covertly. There is a tradition that they have an enormous treasure of silver hidden away under the ground somewhere, to which they annually return to replenish their purses. It is told that Logan, once looking upon the operations of the white men as they cleared the forest and plowed the soil, destroying the hunting grounds of the once happy savage, exclaimed with bitterness and triumph: "Ah! if white man knew what red man known, he wouldn't plow this ground with iron plows." The locality of the buried treasure has even been described by Indians, and some well-meaning citizens are even now attempting to find it. Their faith is strengthened by the fact that there are indications of silver ore in the rocks

May 14, 2008
gypsy, very interested in this. i go to school in rolla, which is not far. would you mind telling me where you got that info, or where i could get more. i am going to see if i can find anything out. thanks!

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I got it off the rootsweb site...about three years ago......am trying to transfer old files to Tnet....Sorry thats all I have

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread