Atlantis - Page 127
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 127 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128 LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 1912
Like Tree3715Likes

Thread: Atlantis

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2015
    4648 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hello BillA

After much reading peer reviewed research on The Olmec culture by viewing both cases for and against Olmecs having a credible metalworking industry in their culture. It appears that the 1958 conclusion is right. And the archeologists that question that conclusion cannot provide a conclusive evidence to prove otherwise. While graves sites found with Olmec artifacts in later cultures graves can explained by recycling of ancient artifacts into later culture as "collectibles" Such as the Romans highly prized Greek artifacts. See picture below of 2010 grave-site below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aztec grave site.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	1800777

Thus the vast majority of metal objects in such graves sites are not Olmec but later artifacts. While Gold did replace jade for such goods of the ruling elite in venerating Gods. The Olmec did indeed did not have skills and resources to produce such metalwork. While there might be a credible question on the time frame when metal working arrived in Mexico 700 AD it was not in Olmec period dating roughly from as early as 1500 BCE to about 400 BCE.

Kanacki
    BillA and Oroblanco like this.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    2078 times
    Hi Kanacki,

briefly and I'm out
    A whole lot of speculation involved, completely wrt Olmec metalworking because, apart from the complete absence of Olmec metal artifacts, it becomes necessary to explain the lack of metalworking in the subsequent civilizations.

that newspaper clipping is as poor a 'report' as I have seen, pearls and jewels collected by indians - what tripe !

to be continued in a more appropriate thread,
    sorry guys

edit: crossed posts, we agree it seems
    KANACKI, Oroblanco and Rebel - KGC like this.

Mar 2015
    4648 times
    Once again my apologies for digressing a little. Back to Atlantis.

Perhaps the island of Thera and the catastrophic eruption leading to destruction of the Minoan civilization became the inspiration of the Atlantis story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption

According to the dialogues, Socrates asked three men to meet him on this day: Timaeus of Locri, Hermocrates of Syracuse, and Critias of Athens. Socrates asked the men to tell him stories about how ancient Athens interacted with other states. The first to report was Critias, who told how his grandfather had met with the Athenian poet and lawgiver Solon, one of the Seven Sages. Solon had been to Egypt where priests had compared Egypt and Athens and talked about the gods and legends of both lands. One such Egyptian story was about Atlantis.

The Atlantis tale is part of a Socratic dialogue, not a historical treatise. The story is preceded by an account of Helios the sun god's son Phaethon yoking horses to his father's chariot and then driving them through the sky and scorching the earth. Rather than exact reporting of past events, the Atlantis story describes an impossible set of circumstances which were designed by Plato to represent how a miniature utopia failed and became a lesson to us defining the proper behavior of a state.

Kanacki
    Last edited by KANACKI; Feb 14, 2020 at 06:53 PM.
    BillA, sdcfia and Oroblanco like this.

pt
    Sep 2014
    7404 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by KANACKI View Post
    Once again my apologies for digressing a little. Back to Atlantis.

Perhaps the island of Thera and the catastrophic eruption leading to destruction of the Minoan civilization became the inspiration of the Atlantis story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption

According to the dialogues, Socrates asked three men to meet him on this day: Timaeus of Locri, Hermocrates of Syracuse, and Critias of Athens. Socrates asked the men to tell him stories about how ancient Athens interacted with other states. The first to report was Critias, who told how his grandfather had met with the Athenian poet and lawgiver Solon, one of the Seven Sages. Solon had been to Egypt where priests had compared Egypt and Athens and talked about the gods and legends of both lands. One such Egyptian story was about Atlantis.

The Atlantis tale is part of a Socratic dialogue, not a historical treatise. The story is preceded by an account of Helios the sun god's son Phaethon yoking horses to his father's chariot and then driving them through the sky and scorching the earth. Rather than exact reporting of past events, the Atlantis story describes an impossible set of circumstances which were designed by Plato to represent how a miniature utopia failed and became a lesson to us defining the proper behavior of a state.

Kanacki
    My working model was the same as yours for many years, but I changed my mind for reasons stated in Post #1856. I don't know how we'll ever know the complete answers to the questions.
    Oroblanco, KANACKI, BillA and 1 others like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

Mar 2015
    4648 times
    I do not think there will ever be exact answers and perhaps that is why so many here find such topics illusive and mystifying.

Kanacki
    BillA, sdcfia, grantler and 2 others like this.

Charter Member

Oct 2009
    41864 times
    I do not think there will ever be exact answers and perhaps that is why so many here find such topics illusive and mystifying.

Kanacki
    That´s simply wrong and more and more evidences showing up lately! Also there are more as enough ancient sources that describes very exactly the location in the northern sea!

But when most evidences are intentional suppressed, I don´t wonder why people think that way.

If anyone is real interested, I will take the lot time, translate all the stuff in english and post it here!
    Oroblanco likes this.

Charter Member

Oct 2009
    41864 times
    Quote Originally Posted by marticus View Post
    Thats the guy Zahi. Knew the name just couldnt remember it. Yea your are totally right on that guy.

I myself lean more to what some others have come out and said about the sphinx. That yes it was re carved. Its not even the body of a cat. But of a dog. The head being way way to small for the body. If we are talking about how it was carved and looking at the rest of egypt. Its very poorly done in sense when compared to many of the other sites. Statues and colums.
    I found this pic of what it could have looked like
    Attachment 1410231

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That´s right, it was a dog!

The oldest Sphinx with a human head I know is the one of Sesostris III. from Middle Kingdom. I don´t know one single piece with a human head from early dynastic period.

To compare:

The oldest dog races (Shepard) from the cold north and from Egypt with short hair

Name:	89495879-weißer-schweizer-schäferhund-auf-einem-herbstspaziergang.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	1802986

Name:	Podenco-Ibicenco-Anubis.jpg 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	1802987

Name:	anubis-gottstatue-des-straffen-ankh-amonschatzes-ägyptisches-museum-112204707.jpg 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	1802988
    Rebel - KGC and Oroblanco like this.

Mar 2015
    4648 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Restorer View Post
    That´s simply wrong and more and more evidences showing up lately! Also there are more as enough ancient sources that describes very exactly the location in the northern sea!

But when most evidences are intentional suppressed, I don´t wonder why people think that way.

If anyone is real interested, I will take the lot time, translate all the stuff in English and post it here!
    Sorry Tom

I try to subscribe to facts not Hypothesis based on some one else Hypothesis.

You have groups who scream Atlantis is off Spain , near the Azores, Caribbean, UK, north sea, west off wales. Off Cornwall. Island of Thera. Another group believes the united state itself was Atlantis. Hell there is even a group claiming Atlantis is in the Sahara? There is no doubt each group has a genuine belief there site is this mythical site. Because the facts they have assembled to support their hypothesis is based around their own pre determined bias or agendas. Any fact that contradict their theory they ignore.

And when their pet Hypothesis falls down they screen "international conspiracy" to conceal the truth. Time to take the tin foil hat off and look at the Atlantis story what is. However interesting.

While I have no doubt that archaeological sites are under the water due to various reasons I do not automatically subscribe them as proof to Atlantis. And indeed I agree when researching any topic one should consult all research from all languages. As some times bias in the English speaking world can indeed miss vital information.

That said New age tin foil on the head conspiracy theories are not just the Provence of the English speaking world either.

If you have peer reviewed document in other languages then please feel free to post. I am sure many here would be interested.

Kanacki
    Oroblanco, Ryano and Rebel - KGC like this.

Charter Member

Oct 2009
    41864 times
    Quote Originally Posted by marticus View Post
    Attachment 1410524

Blue eyed visitors to South America

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    They also descried them as blue eyed, bearded and with red or blond hair!
    The vessel shows a swastika motive. Do you know where it comes from?
    The zodiac small car creates in the north a swastika in the four seasons when it rotates around Polaris! This is not to see that way in the south.

Name:	8888954004.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	1803063
    That´s also the reason why you find it in India. After the comet Phaeton hit the north American ice sheet 12800 years ago and fragments from his tail also hit Island, Heligoland (Atlantis). The surviving people went to the south and to other places on earth and brought that knowledge with them. In India you still find today in the highest caste people with blond or red hair and blue or green eyes and their own stories tell that they came from the north! So this term "Indo-germanic" and what historians tells us by intention, is complete B/S because the northern people did n´t came from the Indian area at all! Genetic tests and the Haplo groups proof this!

There are so many cultures around the world which all tell all the same story that the primeval ones came from the north and brought the culture etc. after the great flood! In Egypt this story is still written in stone! But all this information is suppressed since 75 years and everything gets faked to push the white race down and keep up this B/S "out of Africa theory" and the Ex oriente lux B/S up!
    Last edited by Tom_Restorer; Feb 18, 2020 at 09:26 PM.

Charter Member

Oct 2009
    41864 times
    Sorry Tom

I try to subscribe to facts not Hypothesis based on some one else Hypothesis.

You have groups who scream Atlantis is off Spain , near the Azores, Caribbean, UK, north sea, west off wales. Off Cornwall. Island of Thera. Another group believes the united state itself was Atlantis. Hell there is even a group claiming Atlantis is in the Sahara? There is no doubt each group has a genuine belief there site is this mythical site. Because the facts they have assembled to support their hypothesis is based around their own pre determined bias or agendas. Any fact that contradict their theory they ignore.

And when their pet Hypothesis falls down they screen "international conspiracy" to conceal the truth. Time to take the tin foil hat off and look at the Atlantis story what is. However interesting.

While I have no doubt that archaeological sites are under the water due to various reasons I do not automatically subscribe them as proof to Atlantis. And indeed I agree when researching any topic one should consult all research from all languages. As some times bias in the English speaking world can indeed miss vital information.

That said New age tin foil on the head conspiracy theories are not just the Provence of the English speaking world either.

If you have peer reviewed document in other languages then please feel free to post. I am sure many here would be interested.

Kanacki
    Kanacki, all this other theories are indeed B/S because they got NOTHING! Not one single evidence, not one single historical proof from old texts which fit the location etc.!
    That´s why I said, if anyone is interested I can show enough stuff, even when this means a lot of work and time for me.
    Don´t know if you read what I posted earlier about the Egyptian texts which still exists and which are way older than Platos story about Atlantis. Did you ever read or heard about the old stories of many other cultures around the world who describe all the same about the great flood and where the primeval came from? Or do you know that they exist? I guess not because it is hard work to find this texts and hints!
    What most people has as "information" are books from a lot of crazy people who even not thought about what Plato has written and the hints about the location he has given.

Btw, if a chain of comets hit the earth with the power of thousand of nukes, what do you thing is left from an early high culture? It wiped out the Clovis people and changed entire USA into what it looks today with the grand canyon etc. The impact is scientific proven and dated by Hancock and Carlson and how Plato described it - Solon heard it the first time at 600 B.C. + 9000 years before Plato visit egypt + the 2000 Years A.D =12.600 years. The 200 years error may depends on the modern dating method. Did you seen the videos of Hancock and Carlson? I posted them some pages before and they are real important to watch because it is directly connected to the destruction of Atlantis.
    Did you ever heard about the perfect square megalith structures in northern Russia? The single blocks weights thousands of tons. Similar perfect square structures and broken columns in south west to north east direction (remember the impact crater in the northern sea right in front of the river delta of the Elbe and in which direktion buildings would fall after an impact) was just found from same expedition group which also found the man made eastern sea anomaly. Unfortunately in the northern sea it is forbidden to make any private researches and also scientists hands are bound in most cases. The UNESCO declared the interesting area as a "National Park"! Who wonders about? It is a dirty place of mud, the water is polluted by thousands of ships who drive up the Elbe and in the impact crater they dumped over decades any kind of toxic waste and stuff..."National Park....my @ss! And in our country archeologists just go down to medieval or to bronze age levels if they lie high enough, but not any deeper! After such a great flood everything from an ancient high culture would be buried under Meters of sediments. And what was may to find in the ground of the island Heligoland was massive bombed by the Brits until the 50s with more bombs on that small Island than on entire germany was thrown in WWII ! I guess someone thought that the finds of the Herzsprung shields (which depicts Atlantis as Plato described it) around this area up to Denmark are critical enough

I will put the stuff together after the burial of my mother in law and when all stress is over and post it in different parts!
    Last edited by Tom_Restorer; Feb 18, 2020 at 09:00 PM.
    Oroblanco likes this.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    2078 times
    Tom

not much incentive, but if you post it I would be pleased to read such
    my interest is not so much Atlantis per se, as ancient events confirmed by numerous cultures

Charter Member

Oct 2009
    41864 times
    Here is the book as PDF from Jürgen Spanuth who located Atlantis in the northern sea at first on a scientific basis.

He made some small errors in dating but overall he did a great research from old sources.

It is in german but you can copy page for page and translate it at google in English. Over 600 pages that are worth to read because a lot of very good information!

https://ia801306.us.archive.org/24/i...h-atlantis.pdf
    Last edited by Tom_Restorer; Feb 18, 2020 at 09:28 PM.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    9215 times
    Kanacki wrote

Kanacki
    If we limit our discussion to peer reviewed documents, it won't be much discussing going on.

In my opinion, no one has done more to keep Atlantis lost than Plato himself. As Plutarch accused him, <in the Life of Solon if memory serves? Correction welcomed> embellishing on the tale and adding elements which are very anachronistic created a mythical place that could not have existed. The basic tale of Atlantis is much more bare bones and yet is still astonishing in its own right.

The ancient sources outside of Plato tell us about an ancient Ice Age civilization (if that term is even accurate) that existed on islands in the Atlantic. Plutarch confirms that it existed but states that Plato overly embellished the story, Strabo off-handedly confirms the story in his discourse on another ancient geographer Poseidonius;
    And on this point he does well to cite the statement of Plato that it is possible that the story about the island of Atlantis is not a fiction.121 Concerning Atlantis Plato relates that Solon, after having made inquiry of the Egyptian priests, reported that Atlantis did once exist, but disappeared — an island no smaller in size than a continent;122 and Poseidonius thinks p393 that it is better to put the matter in that way than to say of Atlantis: "Its inventor caused it to disappear, just as did the Poet the wall of the Achaeans."123 And Poseidonius also conjectures that migration of the Cimbrians and their kinsfolk from their native country occurred as the result of an inundation of the sea that came on all of a sudden.
    from http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...trabo/2C*.html

The tale of Atlantis is also more easily understood when we keep in mind that Atlas the founding king of the island 'empire' was a Titan, and there are multiple ancient sources on the Titans and their legendary war with the Greek Gods, the Olympians. Diodorus Siculus refers to Atlantians still surviving in his day but apparently somewhere in the Americas.

One can almost point to any place on the globe and create a theory to make it into Atlantis. However Plato was describing a place he knew existed and still exists today, you can literally walk around in Atlantis. But look for an Ice Age culture not one of chariots and gold plated buildings. The earliest 'civilizations' were livestock tending peoples, as can be seen at Gobekli Tepe and other sites of the same period. These people were still hunter-gatherers but part time, as they were keeping some livestock as the beginnings of agriculture.

Please do continue sorry for getting off the track there.

markmar, Tom_Restorer and KANACKI like this.
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

Mar 2015
    4648 times
    Strange enough the Atlantis franchise of claims have branched out?

Here is some one claiming Atlantis is in Canada ( I WONDER IF THE OAK ISLAND GUYS HAVE NOT HEARD OF IT YET?) Gotta be another season for the brothers with that hypothesis.

Atlantis in Canada

Even so not to be out done Bolivia is having a crack at the claim.

Atlantis in Bolivia

What I find interesting is "Diodorus Siculus refers to Atlantians still surviving in his day but apparently somewhere in the Americas"

Diodorus Siculus

Diodorus Siculus or Diodorus of Sicily was an ancient Greek historian. He is known for writing the monumental universal history Bibliotheca historica, much of which survives, between 60 and 30 BCE.

" The Americas ?" then if that was true knowledge of America was nearly 1500 years before Columbus?

Bibliotheca historica (Ancient Greek: Βιβλιοθήκη ἱστορική, "Historical Library") is a work of universal history by Diodorus Siculus. It consisted of forty books, which were divided into three sections. The first six books are geographical in theme, and describe the history and culture of Egypt (book I), of Mesopotamia, India, Scythia, and Arabia (II), of North Africa (III), and of Greece and Europe (IV–VI). In the next section (books VII–XVII), he recounts the history of the world starting with the Trojan War, down to the death of Alexander the Great. The last section (books XVII to the end) concern the historical events from the successors of Alexander down to either 60 BC or the beginning of Caesar's Gallic War in 59 BC. (The end has been lost, so it is unclear whether Diodorus reached the beginning of the Gallic War, as he promised at the beginning of his work, or, as evidence suggests, old and tired from his labors he stopped short at 60 BC.) He selected the name "Bibliotheca" in acknowledgement that he was assembling a composite work from many sources. Of the authors he drew from, some who have been identified include: Hecataeus of Abdera, Ctesias of Cnidus, Ephorus, Theopompus, Hieronymus of Cardia, Duris of Samos, Diyllus, Philistus, Timaeus, Polybius and Posidonius.

Diodorus' immense work has not survived intact; only the first five books and books 11 through 20 remain. The rest exists only in fragments preserved in Photius and the excerpts of Constantine Porphyrogenitus.

While I am sure he took much information from the writings of Timaeus? Yet I can see no reference to Americas in Timaeus?

The first known reference to "Americas" was on 1507 map.

The Waldseemüller map or Universalis Cosmographia ("Universal Cosmography") is a printed wall map of the world by German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller, originally published in April 1507. It is known as the first map to use the name "America". The name America is placed on what is now called South America on the main map. As explained in Cosmographiae Introductio, the name was bestowed in honor of the Italian Amerigo Vespucci.

The map is drafted on a modification of Ptolemy's second projection, expanded to accommodate the Americas and the high latitudes. A single copy of the map survives, presently housed at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. But as far I can see there is no mention of Americas?

Waldseemüller also created globe gores, printed maps designed to be cut out and pasted onto spheres to form globes of the Earth. The wall map, and his globe gores of the same date, depict the American continents in two pieces. These depictions differ from the small inset map in the top border of the wall map, which shows the two American continents joined by an isthmus.

If there is a real historic document mentioning the America whose publication was long before predating 1507 that would be an amazing discovery in itself? However I have my doubts as modern translations can have things added in translation. Some times intentionally and some times un intentionally.

The world map from the Seven Days of Geography (Septe Giornate della Geographia), an Italian terza rima paraphrase of Ptolemy's Geography. After Ptolemy's second projection. Shows no sign of the Term "Americas"

The Ptolemy world map is a map of the world known to Hellenistic society in the 2nd century. It is based on the description contained in Ptolemy's book Geography, written c. 150. Based on an inscription in several of the earliest surviving manuscripts, it is traditionally credited to Agathodaemon of Alexandria.

Kanacki
    BillA, sdcfia and Oroblanco like this.

pt
    Sep 2014
    7404 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Strange enough the Atlantis franchise of claims have branched out?

Here is some one claiming Atlantis is in Canada ( I WONDER IF THE OAK ISLAND GUYS HAVE NOT HEARD OF IT YET?) Gotta be another season for the brothers with that hypothesis.

Atlantis in Canada

Even so not to be out done Bolivia is having a crack at the claim.

Atlantis in Bolivia

What I find interesting is "Diodorus Siculus refers to Atlantians still surviving in his day but apparently somewhere in the Americas"

Diodorus Siculus

Diodorus Siculus or Diodorus of Sicily was an ancient Greek historian. He is known for writing the monumental universal history Bibliotheca historica, much of which survives, between 60 and 30 BCE.

" The Americas ?" then if that was true knowledge of America was nearly 1500 years before Columbus?

Bibliotheca historica (Ancient Greek: Βιβλιοθήκη ἱστορική, "Historical Library") is a work of universal history by Diodorus Siculus. It consisted of forty books, which were divided into three sections. The first six books are geographical in theme, and describe the history and culture of Egypt (book I), of Mesopotamia, India, Scythia, and Arabia (II), of North Africa (III), and of Greece and Europe (IV–VI). In the next section (books VII–XVII), he recounts the history of the world starting with the Trojan War, down to the death of Alexander the Great. The last section (books XVII to the end) concern the historical events from the successors of Alexander down to either 60 BC or the beginning of Caesar's Gallic War in 59 BC. (The end has been lost, so it is unclear whether Diodorus reached the beginning of the Gallic War, as he promised at the beginning of his work, or, as evidence suggests, old and tired from his labors he stopped short at 60 BC.) He selected the name "Bibliotheca" in acknowledgement that he was assembling a composite work from many sources. Of the authors he drew from, some who have been identified include: Hecataeus of Abdera, Ctesias of Cnidus, Ephorus, Theopompus, Hieronymus of Cardia, Duris of Samos, Diyllus, Philistus, Timaeus, Polybius and Posidonius.

Diodorus' immense work has not survived intact; only the first five books and books 11 through 20 remain. The rest exists only in fragments preserved in Photius and the excerpts of Constantine Porphyrogenitus.

While I am sure he took much information from the writings of Timaeus? Yet I can see no reference to Americas in Timaeus?

The first known reference to "Americas" was on 1507 map.

The Waldseemüller map or Universalis Cosmographia ("Universal Cosmography") is a printed wall map of the world by German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller, originally published in April 1507. It is known as the first map to use the name "America". The name America is placed on what is now called South America on the main map. As explained in Cosmographiae Introductio, the name was bestowed in honor of the Italian Amerigo Vespucci.

The map is drafted on a modification of Ptolemy's second projection, expanded to accommodate the Americas and the high latitudes. A single copy of the map survives, presently housed at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. But as far I can see there is no mention of Americas?

Waldseemüller also created globe gores, printed maps designed to be cut out and pasted onto spheres to form globes of the Earth. The wall map, and his globe gores of the same date, depict the American continents in two pieces. These depictions differ from the small inset map in the top border of the wall map, which shows the two American continents joined by an isthmus.

If there is a real historic document mentioning the America whose publication was long before predating 1507 that would be an amazing discovery in itself? However I have my doubts as modern translations can have things added in translation. Some times intentionally and some times un intentionally.

The world map from the Seven Days of Geography (Septe Giornate della Geographia), an Italian terza rima paraphrase of Ptolemy's Geography. After Ptolemy's second projection. Shows no sign of the Term "Americas"

The Ptolemy world map is a map of the world known to Hellenistic society in the 2nd century. It is based on the description contained in Ptolemy's book Geography, written c. 150. Based on an inscription in several of the earliest surviving manuscripts, it is traditionally credited to Agathodaemon of Alexandria.

Kanacki
    I'll maintain my current working model that "Atlantis" was a worldwide advanced civilization annihilated by the last sun micronova/earth pole shift ~12,000 years ago, leaving only scattered enigmatic architectural ruins, remnant groups of human survivors and root legends. Diodorus's reference to the Americas likely has some connection to the numerous ruins found in the Andes conveniently attributed to the Incas, which of course is silly when you compare the Incas' works to the truly ancient ruins they built on top of. Plato's iconic circular city? The best bet I've seen to match his description is the Richat Structure in Mauritania, a site that has not been well studied, probably due to its difficult location. Since we humans are constantly revising history to prop up our current political narratives - even in our own lifetimes - it's no wonder we're generally ignorant about our longterm history on earth.
    Oroblanco likes this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

Sponsored Links